Main Menu

Strontium Dog Fan Film

Started by Steve Green, 19 September, 2014, 03:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

This has got me even more pumped for the Dredd TV series! Imagine, something of this quality every week!!!

TPO!!!

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Adventurer

Going in I thought Wulf would be the hardest character to portray in terms of looks and personality. But the guy the filmakers got stole the show!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

TordelBack

Absolutely incredible. I was looking forward to seeing this, but despute the promo shots I  never expected it to be so perfectly realised: from the first sight of that fantastic Doghouse my mouth was physically hanging open.  You folk have excelled yourselves and frankly even topped Minty. I loved every frame. THANK YOU ALL.

Off to watch it again now...

Steve Green

Cool, glad you all liked it.

Just been adding subtitles to the youtube version - will finish those off in the morning.

DrRocka

Great work Steve! Couldn't believe you got a smiling Chukwalla in there. Never shake his hand! Really brightened up an otherwise shitty day
Never ever bloody anything ever

Mardroid

I've seen the original version already, and it was very good. This version is great!

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that [spoiler]despite having seen the film a few times (albeit mainly the other version) I only just realised that the scream the Colonel hears is the voice of his future self! I just assumed (like him) it was a previous victim of the Chuckwalla (which in a timey wimey way is true)  although the story works that way too.

So when Johnny's scans that area, he is effective seeing future events a few seconds on (from his POV) ... which he then triggers with the time bomb. Brilliant!
[/spoiler]
I'm so slow sometimes.

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 24 May, 2017, 03:00:17 AM
I've seen the original version already, and it was very good. This version is great!

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that ...
(spoiler bit)
...I'm so slow sometimes.

I didn't realise that at all - I'm going to have to watch it again now!

Steve Green

Quote from: Mardroid on 24 May, 2017, 03:00:17 AM

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that [spoiler]despite having seen the film a few times (albeit mainly the other version) I only just realised that the scream the Colonel hears is the voice of his future self! I just assumed (like him) it was a previous victim of the Chuckwalla (which in a timey wimey way is true)  although the story works that way too.

So when Johnny's scans that area, he is effective seeing future events a few seconds on (from his POV) ... which he then triggers with the time bomb. Brilliant!
[/spoiler]
I'm so slow sometimes.

Yeah, I don't think you're the only one on that score - I think we made it a bit more explicit in this version, we didn't want to make it too spoonfed.

Steve Green

There's a subtitled version on youtube now.

TordelBack

I was really struck by what a brutal weapon der happy stick is when you see it in live action, especially when the wonderful Wulf is finishing off prone opponents. In fact this is one of the great strengths of this production, it takes fantastic elements like Johnny's eyes and time gadgets and shows that they can be believable and really strikingly original on the screen.

Top marks too for the Doghouse briefing scene - I know Steve says it was a headache to shoot and less populated than he would like, but it was a relationship hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck moment for me to see so many iconic characters translated so flawlessly.

TordelBack

-deep sigh- Cheers, autocorrect:

"...it was a real hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck moment.."

Steve Green

Heh, I did briefly wonder about using the spiked end on someone, but that might have been a bit much.

There are a few things we tossed around - one opening was starting on the SD 'There was a time when criminals...' pitch that appears in Starlord. And it becomes a recruiting pitch on a datapad, with two Stront rookies on a shuttle from MK to the Doghouse.

One's excited, the other thinks it's all horseshit.

"We're going to make it big, man!" Then cut to their faces on the Doghouse vidscreen *dead*

The way the time drogue works, it could be pretty good as a torture device for a nastier Alpha - setting it half and half between life and death.

Also thought it would have been fun to break up the montage of the monotony of the cabin scene with a pirate ship attack and Wulf brightening up, then back to the cabin for the long voyage.

Prodigal2

Good grief that's unbelievably good.

Steve Green

Thanks - as with Minty, we were stretched pretty thin doing stuff on such a tiny budget (and small crew).

With hindsight, sure we would have done some stuff differently, but you just have to work around what you have at the time.