Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

That definitely was the most Trekky one so far. "A plot" (Unidentified Space Organism) influences "B plot" (Saru) is straight out of the Next Gen playbook.

But then because it's all about momentum, instead of doing character work in the 45 minutes available to them, they cram in three more plots (Escape Engineering  and Tilly/Fungus and Chase Spock).

I did like it though and a couple of genuine lols (Tilly's hair).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Funt Solo

It's all a bit Emo-Trek, but I loved the scene where the universal translator stopped working.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JamesC

Deary me. Episode 5 was just terrible. Tilly doing 'pinky swears' was the low point.

broodblik

Quote from: JamesC on 18 February, 2019, 01:00:30 PM
Deary me. Episode 5 was just terrible. Tilly doing 'pinky swears' was the low point.

Episocde 5 was actually much better than 4 but I think the 'pinky swear' will work on the Brexit deal
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Legendary Shark

"The ship's coming to bits." "Hang one, we need to have a philosophical discussion." "The engines are about to melt." "Just wait, we need to scratch our arses for a minute." "Everyone on the bridge is about to die." "Give us a minute, it's all getting pretty tearful down here in the Dithering Cube." "We are absolutely and positively out of time." "Just a tick, we need to do a pinky swear and have a hug."
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

I liked it. It hasn't quite got the right balance and integration of action vs. character stuff but I'd rather we got this than, say, Spock punching the shit out of Khan as at the end of Into Darkness.

And Pike gives us an unashamed command presence who is very much Star Trek and not pushing some mad secret agenda. It could have been Burnham but then again, I do like her complexities (and Sonequa Martin-Green is great)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Robin Low

I've found this series growing on me considerably, although there were a number of moments in the latest installment when I was yelling, "Stop yakking and run, you idiots!"

More generally, I've been amused by what amounts to fanwanking in the efforts to explain away some of the apparent contradictions.

Regards,

Robin

Rara Avis

I wanted to watch a good bit of this before I made a comment and now feel sufficiently up to date to say something. Where to begin? I'm not the biggest Star Trek fan but was as excited as anyone to hear about a new show. I suppose I have always considered ST to be a ensemble affair; various groups coming together in harmony to promote the best human traits. Instead this series revolves around one really unlikable protagonist who represents (to me anyway) the worst humanity has to offer.  After singlehandedly starting a war with the Klingons and attacking her direct commander she should have never been allowed near the bridge of a ship again. After watching Season 1 it becomes apparent why Lorca kept her around but surely after the rushed ending of the war she should have been honourably or dishonourably discharged from Starfleet yet there she is back on the bridge. If she isn't the problem then she has the answer to the problem. It's just infuriating how she keeps failing up. Her back story is even more infuriating. She could have been raised by any prominent Vulcan family but no she has to be Spock's sister which I understand has never been mentioned before. Every story line revolves around how much better and smarter she is than everyone else but instead of being someone you admire she comes across as an insufferable Mary Sue. So amazing is Michael that after starting the war and getting thousands killed she is forgiven by the Discovery crew after a mere 3 or 4 episodes. However she could not extend the same forgiveness to Tyler. The difference being that she used her agency to determine her fate and he did not. I could go on but I think I've made my point. Oh one more, I'm glad that they remind us about her Vulcan upbringing so often because if they didn't you'd knew guess from how she acts.

Other things I don't like .. the design of the Klingons was bad in the first season and worse in the second. The character of Tilly gets worse and worse - they didn't have the dialogue for a happy fat character and a cute ditsy character so they just merged them in her. Her initial youthful pep has turned into something far more superficial. Although I am delighted that [spoiler]Dr Culver has returned, if characters don't stay dead then any future death will not be treated with any real significance, missions won't be taking seriously by me anyway.  [/spoiler] Also the design of the uniforms are wrong, I actually love the Disco uniform but they seem more futuristic than the new uniforms we see in S2.

Having said all that I'm still watching but [spoiler]Spock has yet to appear onscreen and Tyler back on the bridge[/spoiler] so that may change ...

Funt Solo

It is frustrating that Spock is dangled as a meta-lure before the audience.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Red Angel = Lorca?

Thank Grud for Season Two of The Orville.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Rara Avis

flip-r mk2

It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

The Legendary Shark

Or Sybok. Or Ribbon Kirk. Possibly even a Crossover Vorlon.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

broodblik

Some Babylon 5 action coming up soon. Sheridan is that you ?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.