Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Film & TV / Re: The Last Jedi - Forum Opinion
« Last post by Eric Plumrose on Today at 10:09:55 pm »
Throwaway comments do not a saviour make. But this is the problem with the two new movies, exemplified by that bollocks in THE LAST JEDI about using mind tricks to lift rocks. "Hey! That thing we jokingly mentioned in passing, earlier? No? Well, hellOHHHH anyway!"
Film & TV / Re: The Last Jedi - Forum Opinion
« Last post by TordelBack on Today at 09:31:38 pm »
True of the OT, but 3 decades later in TFA the acme of jediliness is exactly how he was reintroduced: the first line of that film is "this will begin to make things right", referring to the mapguffin. Everyone is desperate to find Luke: he will bring balance, he will turn the tide, he is hope personified. So it may not be a shock from the perspective of someone watching him grow from starstruck farm boy to independent thinker, but it's a hell of surprise coming from a living myth.

Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection
« Last post by abelardsnazz on Today at 09:21:48 pm »
Just finished Zombo. It's all kinds of crazy, with seemingly random references to anything and everything, but it's never dull and Henry Flint's art is always fantastic. One volume may be enough though.
Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection
« Last post by sintec on Today at 08:41:52 pm »
even if some of the earlier stuff feels dated in the same way a lot of old 2000 AD does.

I knew going in that some of the material would be that way.  2000AD in the early days was aiming for a different audience and within a very different social context.  It's inevitable that some of that is going feel dated now, particularly to an adult audience.  It's mostly been pretty enjoyable so far (well maybe not the second half of Robo-hunter) although I'm not sure I'll be re-reading those volumes very often.

I'm glad to hear it's not all downhill and it's just had some slumps over the years.  With the Ultimate Collection mostly releasing stuff chronologically I was concerned we were going to get towards the end of the run and have 4-5 books of poor quallity Slaine to wade through in the last 12 months.  Sounds like that won't be entirely the case.
Welcome to the board / Re: Hey!
« Last post by broodblik on Today at 08:24:29 pm »
Welcome aboard. I also like Jaegir and accordingly to me is the best alternative to the original Rogue strip
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
« Last post by abelardsnazz on Today at 07:50:49 pm »
Isle of Dogs. Finally got round to this after what seems like a year since first seeing the trailer. Visually stunning, with lots of stuff going on in the corners of the screen I'm sure I missed. However, despite my love for Wes Anderson's last film The Grand Budapest Hotel, I thought this was just a bit too quirky for its own good. Still glad I saw it though.
Announcements / Re: Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread
« Last post by Apestrife on Today at 07:43:27 pm »
Just finished Young Death. Hadn't read Young Death, Name is Death and wilderness days in years and didn't remember much outside the basics. Had some doubts about Death being a funny man, but I think it really worked. Especially in the last two drawn by Frazer Irving. Fantastic art and a story which out-fallouts Fallout. I somewhat wish Death would'v stayed on a weird murder odyssey through the cursed earth. While I thought the set up for the ending was epic, it didn't deliver for me. Would'v worked better without all the exposition about limbo and how his plans were ruined. But overall, I really enjoyed the story :)
Film & TV / Re: Current TV Boxset Addiction
« Last post by Professor Bear on Today at 07:35:53 pm »
If you are baffled why you're still watching Designated Survivor - AKA Madame Secretary for (even bigger) idiots -  give For The People a go.  It is an appallingly bad legal procedural whose utter lack of originality and terrible scripting often make it indistinguishable from parody.

Black Lightning - as mentioned before, utter horseshit.  It follows the standard DC superhero show template of a superhero motivated by a story engine like guilt or revenge to do good things rather than actual altruism, but everyone around them says they're a good person anyway, and when they go out punching poor people and the mentally ill in the face, there's a scientist shouting at them over their bluetooth headset with helpful advice that would never occur to them like using their special power on the bad man until he falls over.
"Use your speed, Barry."
"Use your heat vision, Cara."
"Use your arrows, Oliver."
"Use your black lightning, Jefferson." and so on.
But I like it for some reason.  I can't really explain why, as it doesn't do anything you haven't seen before and better, but if I had to guess, the shameless, often witless recycling of over-familiar tropes typical of all the CW superhero shows feels indistinguishable from blaxploitation, even though the show runners have said they wanted to avoid doing that kind of thing.

Legends Of Tomorrow - show don't give a fuck.  Seems to be rocketing towards a sweet spot where the laziness of the writers is successfully obscured by the show's lack of tonal consistency or any kind of quality control.
One plot thread involves the characters watching the Lord of the Rings and spotting that the actor John Noble (who voices the series' main villain) sounds exactly like the series' main villain, so they travel back in time to New Zealand in 1999 to bamboozle him into reading lines off a script that the goodies will use to trick the baddy's subordinate into thinking is actually their boss giving them instructions after Ant-Man shrinks down and flies into the baddy's ear and plays the lines through a loudspeaker.  Another episode sees them trying to steal Elvis' guitar, which has been cursed by one of the baddies posing as the ghost of Elvis' dead brother (no, really) to raise the dead whenever it's played (no they don't explain how he practices songs, shut up), which will cause a zombie ghost apocalypse in Memphis ("ironically named after the Egyptian city of the dead!") before Elvis can invent rock and roll, which means that the Confederate states will win the war or something - it gets a bit silly, I don't mind telling you, and that's before Julius Caesar and Blackbeard team up in the wild west to kung fu fight Jonah Hex.
It is very, very stupid, but on occasion it is entertaining, especially the time loop episode where they figure things out by talking about how other, better shows resolved the same problem, and they even name-drop the actual Trek episodes which did the same thing.  Like I say: the show don't give a fuck.
General / Re: First 3 episodes of 2000ad
« Last post by Eamonn Clarke on Today at 07:21:29 pm »
This was posted in the classified forum in 2009:

2000 AD comics

Prog 1 £100 - no spinner
Prog 2 £100 - no biotronic stickers
Prog 3 £50 - no red alert wallet

Progs 1-3 are worth approximately double this amount if they include their free gifts.

Prices for early progs have gone up recently, there’s a middling copy of prog 2 with the stickers on eBay at the moment for £399, although no bids on it yet. So you could probably do better than the above prices now.
Off Topic / Re: Life is sometimes sort of okay because...
« Last post by Tiplodocus on Today at 06:33:40 pm »
Oh that will be great! Hope the new job hunting is of equal fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10