Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

The Martian

The film deserves its reputation. It's a good film. I confess the story was not entirely my cup of tea (there isn't anything actually wrong with it. It's just not the kind of story I'm all that into.) but it was enjoyable enough. Well worth the watch.

Mattofthespurs

Dreamscape.

Haven't seen this since the 80's and then on VHS.

Bought the blu ray remembering that I liked it at the time. Sadly my memory was wrong. It's not very good. Has some nice moments but they are few and far between. The script is poor. Quaid, Capshaw, Von Sydow and Plummer are decent but are poorly served by the Director. And the 'score' is awful.
Barely a 5/10

JamesC

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 November, 2017, 10:56:21 PM
Murder On The Orient Express.

and I rather liked Judy Dench's suggestion on the Graham Norton Show a couple of weeks ago that Branagh recasts the same actors in new roles for a sort of repertory theatre feel to the thing.

If Branagh plays Miss Marple I'll definitely buy a ticket! :D

radiator

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 November, 2017, 10:17:31 PM
Watched Paddington last night. Thought it was great.

Good to hear - I'm a huge fan of the original - it's a modern classic as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately it isn't out here until the new year... Shame, as this would be perfect for Xmas viewing. Oh well.

Mardroid

Transformers: Age of Extinction

While it's not very good, I didn't find it as bad as many would suggest on this ol' internet. It was fun enough, if rather silly. The transformers comedy characters actually seem to let it down a bit, and I do like comedy.

Also not sure about the dinobots being so very large. I know they wanted to turn them into steeds for the main autobots (so it makes sense that they would be proportionally as large to them as the real beasts - and original dinobots- would have been to us) but as I thought the alternate forms of transformers were supposed to be based on things in the planet they're visiting, something a bit more accurate would have been nice. Not that the originals would exactly fit in being metallic, etc,.... okay dinosaurs have small brains anyway. I guess having them extra large makes sense in that light...

They don't appear to be any form of dinosaur I know though. One was vaguely T-Rex, except they weren't that spikey. I understand there is a bipedal dinosaur like that, but he seemed to have the little hands thing of a T-Rex.  Another dinosaur type took me a while to work out, then I guessed it was supposed to be a stegosaurus, except with a carnivorous looking head. The tricerotops was probably closest apart from that large mouth full of teeth (but to be fair, I remember the original Slag not being too different from that). And the pterosaur has two head for some reason. Hm.

Also the new stuff concerning the transformers origins (or certain transformers, the so called Knights- are they the Prime bots?) was added to and hence confused.

As more of the same with giant robots slugging it out (and this time you could make it out a bit better) it wasn't bad. I wonder if the Samurai Autobot raised some eyebrows though. The design was actually quite cool, but I think they maybe should have toned down the accent a bit...

Smith

Alternate forms dont always serve as a disguise.Sometimes they act as a protective shell,like in Beast Wars.
But its Michael Bay,so I doubt he thought that far.

Tiplodocus

Agree with Jim about Orient Express. While it doesn't bring anything new to the table (I assume the lovely stuff about balance is all in the source material),  it's so long since I saw a version of it that the pace, the cast (again, as Jim says, Brannagh is great) and the lush production values kept me engaged. 

Daisy Ridley may well get type cast.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Juan De La Karite

Been to the cinema three times this week as I was sick recently and wanted to catch Blade Runner 2049 and Thor Ragnarok while they were still out. I can discuss those in their respective threads, just wanted to give a shout for Death of Stalin.

Dark, horrible, based on true events but hilarious and with a brilliant cast portraying real people.

If you liked any of The Thick of It, Four Lions, Veep, In the Loop, etc then you'll like this.

Special praise for Jason Isaacs as Field Marshall Zhukov, legend haha.

Apestrife

Saw Stalker. Was a bit ill when watching it, perhaps not the best idea. While my attention wasn't where it should'v been the whole movie, I still somewhat got the idea. And it was undoubtly a beautiful movie. No doubt about it that Tarkovsky had an eye for good photo.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 November, 2017, 05:59:34 AMAlso not sure about the dinobots being so very large. I know they wanted to turn them into steeds for the main autobots (so it makes sense that they would be proportionally as large to them as the real beasts - and original dinobots- would have been to us) but as I thought the alternate forms of transformers were supposed to be based on things in the planet they're visiting, something a bit more accurate would have been nice.

The logic boat has long since sailed for the TF movie series.  In the very first movie they actually hide in some bushes so as not to be seen outside the main character's house, despite the fact that their entire species' identity revolves around turning into something innocuous in order to blend into their environment.  I mean, it is the actual fucking name of the film and everything.
Anyway, my point is that the movie Transformers are kind of shit in general when it comes to the concept of camouflage, so you may as well just ask why they're trying to blend in with dinosaurs at all - who, exactly, are dinosaurs going to tell if their suspicions are aroused?

Mardroid

Quoteyou may as well just ask why they're trying to blend in with dinosaurs at all - who, exactly, are dinosaurs going to tell if their suspicions are aroused?

The Plod?
Sorry....

:lol:

JamesC

Quick call-back to previous page.

If anyone's interested, the scientology documentary Going Clear is on Sky Atlantic at 9pm tonight.

Proudhuff

Pride and Prejudice, with Zombies.

Having HAD to watch countless cozzie dramas this finally made me like em...  funny if you know the source, and at last the characters have some decent motivation  :lol:   
DDT did a job on me

Fungus

Not really one of my threads, but:
Murder On The Orient Express

Enjoyed it a lot, due to the beautiful shots conjured up and that dramatic ending. Knew the twist going in - like 90% of us - but I doubt I've ever bothered to watch any version. Have a feeling the ending was modified a bit but then that's only a feeling rather than based on past reading/viewing.

Branagh seemed to mumble much of his dialogue and so some of it passed me by, while the accent faltered mid-sentence sometimes - to my ears - so that jarred a bit.

The finale made it for me. A sad tale, convincingly told. Moving, in fact.

Link Prime

Quote from: Fungus on 22 November, 2017, 09:29:11 AM
Knew the twist going in - like 90% of us

I was part of the 10% demographic- really enjoyed the movie and the twist was great.

The other half has always been a Poirot fanatic (the box set is trotted out most Sunday's), so I may have to join her next time instead of burying my head into a comic or video game.

I'd definitely go back for seconds if Branagh does a sequel.