Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrudgeJohnDeed

I think RE5 gets stick as a RE game because with the co-op it becomes less scary than even RE4, and understandably leans even more into the action, taking it further away from what RE was. It's still a fantastic game though, particularly if you've got a chum.

The stories in the older games were a bit more grounded, although still cheesy and campy in spots (particularly the original). It gets crazier than ever in 5.

Maybe try Dead Space 3 if you're looking for a similar kind of game? The first two single player Dead Space games are better than fan-favourite RE4 to me, doing a better job being horror games whilst still being fun, gorgeous games and having great stories. Dead Space 3 added Co-Op (taking similar hits to scariness and adding focus to combat like RE5 did) and although it's perhaps no RE5, it's much better than RE6.

Professor Bear

Skyrim Special Edition for PS4 - relatively primitive gameplay (walk from A to B, bash attack button, repeat) by current gen standards, but looks fantastic.  What I find funny, however, is the sheer number of visual "tweaks" that have actually just been lifted straight from the modding community, particularly the roadside lanterns and graphics filters that up the onscreen particle counts for weather effects - and yet I suspect that despite this brush with free modding, Bethesda still don't quite understand why their product has been so popular for the last six years despite its objective gameplay life of only a few weeks at most, as the number and range of mods available for the game is laughably small.  No Moonlight Tales, Frostfall, Requiem, Apocalypse, Falskaar, Enderal - Jesus H Christmas, why don't they just pull the plug on the nude and bestiality mods while they're at it?
/record scratch
WHAAAAT?

Theblazeuk

The best Co-Op game ever is Left4Dead (2, because it incorporates 1 as well). Fact.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Left4Dead is fantastic! Call me a shill but I loved ZAT even more :D!

Keef Monkey

Yes! Left 4 Dead 2 is pretty much the ultimate co-op fun time. Love it so much, even though actually surviving a game is really rare for me and my friends. One of those rare games where when everything is going wrong and you're making mistakes and people are dying all over the place and plans are falling apart...it doesn't matter because that's the fun of it. And when you DO manage to get on that escape vehicle, trying to cover your friend who's still dashing through the hordes, it's a rush like few others in gaming! ZAT is really cool too, played through that whole thing with a friend and we loved it.

Dead Space 3 is a really good shout as well. The first two are a couple of the best games ever made and the third one is...less good. When I replayed 3 in co-op with my brother though it was a totally different experience and a great deal of fun. Still not up there with 1&2 but as a co-op survival horror game it was a really good time.

I didn't particularly enjoy RE5 or 6, but then I was playing them solo, and would imagine co-op would have helped a lot.

pictsy

Dead Space 3 is sitting on my PS3 waiting to be played after RE6.  We're powering through, hoping that the Leon campaign will at least be enjoyable.  We've started on the Jake campaign and I passionately hate it and the Sherry character.  She is next to useless, with decent portions of the games requiring me to do nothing whilst my friend runs through QTEs or whatever.  The most agency I feel I've had with her is crawling through a vent for about 10 seconds.  Useless.

We actually tried out a little of each campaigns to decide which to start with (except the additional bonus campaign).  The Chris campaign wasn't hugely better with levels designed liked cover-shooters but lacking the controls to support that style.  What we played of the Leon campaign was fun and was the best fit for the controls and mechanics.

I also have the first Dead Space on disc but haven't got around to giving it a proper try.  I made the mistake of not paying attention to the dialogue.  I decided to play The Last of Us instead, which I found to be considerably enjoyable (for the most part).  I have never played a game where I'm so excited to pick up arrows.  I loved the characters as well.

I haven't played RE5 single player, but I can imagine it would be a chore.  So much of the design seemed geared towards playing with someone and that's certainly where I got most of my enjoyment from.  For instance, we ended up allocating roles for each of us so we were never having to split ammo between us and that led to my love of the Dragunov SVD rifle.

Keef Monkey

Finished Grabbed By The Ghoulies last night (been dipping into the Rare Replay collection from time to time) and overall found it fun and quite charming. Quite a nice 'horror for kids' vibe about it and the bold cartoony art style means a lot of it still actually looks quite nice.

Gets overly frustrating in places, but some of that was me leaving too long between sessions and totally forgetting the mechanics. Was definitely tricky in spots though, and am ashamed to admit I looked at a couple of video guides for tips when things got a bit brutal late on.

Not a classic or anything, but glad I played through it.

pictsy

Played some more RE6 yesterday and we finished the Jake campaign.  It was a total chore getting through that garbage.  We picked up the Chris campaign and immediately the game was playing better in comparison.  The generic grunt I'm playing as seems to have more agency and usefulness than Jake's companion Sherry.  It can still be annoying, but not close to the same extent.

I think there might be some pretty good elements to the game, and fun to be had.  Nevertheless, that doesn't in anyway make up for the glaring faults.

Keef Monkey

Yeah that was pretty much my experience of 6 as well. Think they really bit off more than they could chew in trying to make so many campaigns, when they probably could have used the time to really polish up one of them.

I played them in the order they appeared on the menu, and think each one was worse than the last. Leon's was the best, then Chris, then Jake, then Ada.

Kind of soldiered through because I didn't like there being a main RE game I hadn't finished, but it was definitely a slog.

pictsy

We didn't give the Ada one a go for some reason and will probably be playing it last.  It will be really disappointing if it's the worse.  I'm not sure how much worse than playing as Sherry in Jake's campaign things could be.  My friend agreed that the Jake campaign was awful, but he definitely had more to do than me.  I felt Sherry's uselessness rubbing off on me the more I played her.

GrudgeJohnDeed

I played Grabbed by the Ghoulies via Rare Replay too Keef, I didn't know what to expect and ended up really enjoying it. Also, I cant believe the Jet Force Gemini achievements are so rare on Rare Replay, its a great game why's nobody playing it?!

RE6 definitely had tons of issues. Theres a really cool-looking bit in the Ada campaign though, I always remember that when I think about RE6!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 08 December, 2017, 05:13:23 PM
Also, I cant believe the Jet Force Gemini achievements are so rare on Rare Replay, its a great game why's nobody playing it?!

I tried it! I had a plan to play through all the Rare Replay stuff, but there have been a couple of games I just spent a couple of hours with and then moved on. I think the controls felt a bit clunky or I maybe just got stuck and didn't know what to do so stopped!

Finished Valiant Hearts last night and would recommend it to one and all. Fantastic game, beautiful art style, really satisfying puzzles (that never become frustrating) and for how 'cartoony' the whole thing looks (for want of a better word) it properly depicts the horror of WW1 in a much, much more affecting way than any number of Medal of Battle Duties could. You can even hit a button when prompted to bring up historical info, and I have to say I found it very educational. Wonderful story and characters, just loved it.

Satanist

Completed Evil Within 2 and jumped straight back in to New Game plus. Loved this game from start to end.

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 13 December, 2017, 01:38:02 PM

I tried it! I had a plan to play through all the Rare Replay stuff, but there have been a couple of games I just spent a couple of hours with and then moved on. I think the controls felt a bit clunky or I maybe just got stuck and didn't know what to do so stopped!

Yeah like a lot of n64-era games the controls are a bit clunky. Shortly after release they patched in an option to use updated controls, absolutely turn that on (it's off by default) as that modernises it some. I did have nostalgia on my side  :), but I really enjoyed playing through it again.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Satanist on 13 December, 2017, 02:49:03 PM
Completed Evil Within 2 and jumped straight back in to New Game plus. Loved this game from start to end.

Hope New Game Plus is a good time, I enjoyed the game so much that I fully plan to go back to it at some point soon for another playthrough. It's definitely on the shortlist for game of the year for me.

Played through an odd game called The Sexy Brutale last week and liked it a lot. It plays a lot like Gregory Horror Show, you're in a mansion where a dinner party is going on and several murders take place over the course of the day. You can repeat the day as many times as you want groundhog day style, so you spend the game sneaking around (you're not supposed to be there) and trying arrange things to prevent the murders. The puzzles are never overly tough but they are satisfying, and it feels great to spend a couple of 'days' following the victim around to see what their schedule is and how you can stop it happening. You can spend an hour with it where 55mins are wandering around gathering a picture of events but not feeling like you're getting anywhere, and then everything will fall into place and you'll solve it and feel great!

It can occasionally be slightly obtuse about where you should be going so there is a bit of blind wandering here and there until you stumble on a thread to follow, but other than that I couldn't really fault it. Oh, apart from the audio design which is really bad, lots of overly compressed and distorted sounds, a weird surround panning approach to your own character's footsteps and some really jarring musical transitions (or lack there-of).

But yeah, apart from that, great game.