Main Menu

The Mighty One: My Life Inside the Nerve Centre by Steve MacManus

Started by sheridan, 02 September, 2016, 01:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 08 September, 2016, 04:12:00 PM
This thread is definitely the best of the two competing, identically named threads about this book.

Yes - about that - I looked in the 'reviews' section and didn't find anything, not realising the thread sort-of existed in 'news'.  What's the protocol for something that has an announcement in news but has actually been released?  Carry on reviewing it in the news section, or start a new thread, like I did?
[/quote]
By which I meant that the initial thread had been when it was announced but not released (and so is news and speculative) but the secondary thread is after it has been released and is a review?

Keef Monkey

Just arrived, 6/200 for me! Looks like it'll be a good read. I'm off on holiday next week and needed a poolside read and this'll do more than nicely.

Frank

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 08 September, 2016, 03:37:19 PM
I realised I had just read a book about working in an office in the 70's and 80's and yet still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Haha! Pity it's too late to put that endorsement on the dust cover.

Quote from: sheridan on 08 September, 2016, 04:13:35 PM
What's the protocol for something that has an announcement in news but has actually been released? Carry on reviewing it in the news section, or start a new thread, like I did?

I consulted the forum rules, and the appropriate etiquette is to light a massive joint and relax. These are also the forum rules regarding the Politics Thread*. Someone should create a sticky.

* ... and that story where they made Dredd young again

Fungus

sheridan

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: sheridan on 08 September, 2016, 05:53:04 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 08 September, 2016, 05:46:35 PM
You mean Tharg lied about the spaceship?
What about Ghastly McNasty?  And Ernie the Eagle?

Don't forget the Big E. I'm still trying but always end up having nightmares about him.

sheridan

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 08 September, 2016, 05:57:11 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 08 September, 2016, 05:53:04 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 08 September, 2016, 05:46:35 PM
You mean Tharg lied about the spaceship?
What about Ghastly McNasty?  And Ernie the Eagle?

Don't forget the Big E. I'm still trying but always end up having nightmares about him.
Where did the Big E live?  I know Ernie lived in the heights of Kings Reach, and Ghastly was way below in a sub-sub-dungeon somewhere...

matty_ae

Orbital London still has signed copies of the paperback at £9.
Also Gosh still has Cursed Earth if you're down in the smoke soon.

sheridan

Quote from: matty_ae on 09 September, 2016, 11:50:16 AM
Orbital London still has signed copies of the paperback at £9.
Also Gosh still has Cursed Earth if you're down in the smoke soon.
It has?  It had sold out on the day of the signing, so I guess they must have had further deliveries?

WhizzBang

Steve Green

matty_ae

Re: gosh

I think they allowed customers to reserve them by email and are now selling the books that were never picked up.
That's my guess.

james newell

am reading it now, only got to the launch of action and the move to new offices, already loving it, it is a great, in depth read so far of comic publishing in the 70's.

sheridan

Page 72, they're in Kings Reach and Pat is working on a top-secret new project, having passed Action over to other hands.  Interesting take on the fall of Action, and contrary to what I've read before (never actually having read the comic itself).  It appears it had lost its way before being subject to censorship...