2018: forthcoming thrills..

Started by janus stark, 05 January, 2018, 12:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 July, 2018, 12:09:28 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 12 July, 2018, 09:11:07 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 12 July, 2018, 08:41:40 PM
Quote from: Steven Denton on 12 July, 2018, 08:05:21 PM
But I don't really want to see IP flogged to death for decades either. There is something to be said for new ideas and constantly moving forward. Superhero comics are stuck on an infinite loop and it would be a real shame to see that happen to 2000ad. Funny as it would be to see the outrage a new book of Zenith by a new writer I wouldn't actually be interested in reading it.

I agree with what you are saying. If Zenith would return the only artist on duty must be Yeowell. I am currently re-reading the new colored versions of Halo Jones. I always wanted this to return. Who would be able to write this and who would be able to give justice to the characters like Gibson ? We can all dream, cant we ?

Its known that Alan Moore had an outline for the entire Halo Jones saga, Neil Gaiman claims to have listened to this from the horses mouth.
Surely the great bearded one wouldn't have a problem with selling this to Tharg so someone else could pick up the baton so to speak?
Surely this would tempt Ian Gibson back to the fold?

As you said, we can but dream...

Ian Gibson disputes this legendary anecdote - he says Moore had a few ideas but certainly didn't have the whole thing worked out. Gibson actually wrote and submitted books 4 and 5 but they were never commissioned. He also has a lot to say about Moore's general writing on HJ - "plot holes you could strain your vegetables through" was a favourite phrase.

Get Leah Moore to script it, problem solved!  ;)

(Ask dad for permission first of course)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

broodblik

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 July, 2018, 12:09:28 PM
Ian Gibson disputes this legendary anecdote - he says Moore had a few ideas but certainly didn't have the whole thing worked out. Gibson actually wrote and submitted books 4 and 5 but they were never commissioned. He also has a lot to say about Moore's general writing on HJ - "plot holes you could strain your vegetables through" was a favourite phrase.

The truth is out there and maybe one day we will open the prog and the last chapters will unfold in front off us.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Given the manner in which Gibson burned his bridges with 2000 AD, I can't see that happening, well, ever.

broodblik

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 July, 2018, 01:34:49 PM
Given the manner in which Gibson burned his bridges with 2000 AD, I can't see that happening, well, ever.

So that is the reason why I have not seen his work in AD. So what did he do ?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Filed half-arsed art for the Samantha Slade story, gave up, and then at some point named a pin-up "topless Halo" and then acted like a massive prick about it when Rebellion said NOPE. Alan Moore wasn't thrilled about the last of those either.

broodblik

Ok now I am also up to speed. Would still like a possibility that at one stage we can see the further adventures of Halo Jones.  :)

Richard

I hope not. It ended perfectly well, and I don't really want to see someone else trying to be Alan Moore.

broodblik

It is more wishful thinking than anything else. I cant see anyone else picking this up and continuing the story-line. This is the same case with Zenith. Both will be remembered with great fondness and  I would rather never have a new story-line than a twisted version going forward.

sheridan

Quote from: broodblik on 16 July, 2018, 03:59:53 AM
It is more wishful thinking than anything else. I cant see anyone else picking this up and continuing the story-line. This is the same case with Zenith. Both will be remembered with great fondness and  I would rather never have a new story-line than a twisted version going forward.

I enjoyed it, but for an idea on how it would happen, and differ from the three books we know (this example with Moore's full blessing), look at the Neil Gaiman MarvelmanMiracleman books.  Quality writing, but of a completely different style to what went before.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Richard

Cosier

Jimmy Broxton is the new artist on Storm Warning.

Happy to see more Lillian and Broxton is a great choice... but hadn't it previously been announced that Tom Foster was returning? Maybe I'm misremembering. (I guess it could be a Nemesis the Warlock-esque situation, where Broxton is doing Book 2 whilst Foster is working on Book 3?)

Link Prime

Great news that The Broxton Droid is returning, just wish it was on something other than Storm Warning.

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 20 July, 2018, 10:34:16 AM
Great news that The Broxton Droid is returning, just wish it was on something other than Storm Warning.

Ditto.  Storm Warning was a top thrill for me, but I suspect Foster's wonderfully spacious art was a huge part of that.  I can see why the superb Broxton would be a solid choice for a replacement, but I'd rather see him on new projects of his own, and Foster back on SW... It all feels like it might go a bit Ten Seconders or Button Man IV to me... a fantastic artist stepping in, but just not the same.  But when does anyone ever get what they want, hmmm?

broodblik

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 July, 2018, 03:04:47 PM
Ditto.  Storm Warning was a top thrill for me, but I suspect Foster's wonderfully spacious art was a huge part of that.  I can see why the superb Broxton would be a solid choice for a replacement, but I'd rather see him on new projects of his own, and Foster back on SW... It all feels like it might go a bit Ten Seconders or Button Man IV to me... a fantastic artist stepping in, but just not the same.  But when does anyone ever get what they want, hmmm?

Interesting that in Prog 2057 "Thrills of the Furture" it was mentioned that Storm Warning: Green and Pleasant Land by Leah Moore, John Reppion and Tom Foster will return to the Meg.