Main Menu

THE VIGILANT - Furman & Coleby revive IPC characters for one-shot

Started by Frank, 15 April, 2018, 12:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

'The Rebellionverse begins here'

US format, full colour one-shot - 'The Leopard From Lime Street, Adam Eterno, The Steel Commando, Dr. Sin, Pete's Pocket Army and Blake Edmonds (Deathwish) team up to face Von Hoffman and Dr. Mesmer'.

Released August 2018, available in newsagents as well as your local comic shop. Furman and Coleby are joined by 'guest creators'.

John Freeman has the scoop: https://downthetubes.net/?p=44964

Edit to add the cover from the 2000 AD blog post

Professor Bear

Does this mean that Furman was the writer of the Death-Man strips?
Hopefully the one-off calms down a bit and takes a bit more time and doesn't feel as rushed and/or tied to editorial diktat as that last DM strip in the Scream! special.  I thought it was fine if you liked superhero team-up books, but as a story it tried to cram too much in to give any characters time to breathe, so I just felt cheated as a Death Wish fan.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Professor Bear on 15 April, 2018, 01:53:06 PM
Does this mean that Furman was the writer of the Death-Man strips?
Hopefully the one-off calms down a bit and takes a bit more time and doesn't feel as rushed and/or tied to editorial diktat as that last DM strip in the Scream! special.  I thought it was fine if you liked superhero team-up books, but as a story it tried to cram too much in to give any characters time to breathe, so I just felt cheated as a Death Wish fan.

Yeah quite excited by this and it seems a noice bold experiment by Rebellion. But yeah with 48 pages to play with lets hope they use them well.

Mardroid

So I guess this is a follow on from that strip in the Scream/Misty special?

I liked the idea, but I wasn't keen on that particular story. It didn't flow well for me,l and yes 'crammed', describes it well.

Having the story continue as a full comic could be a good thing though, to do this justice. Even better: if the Scream/Misty version were viewed more as a kind of readers digest version of the introduction and they started from the beginning with this, providing more flesh for the bones, so to speak, explaining better how/why the characters came together, providing more background than 'they all just turned up'.

Then again a full series might be required to give that full justice, rather than a one shot, but should the one-shot do well, maybe there'll be further issues. 'Rebellionverse starts here' at least suggests more down the line, although it might not be a continuation of the same story.

Steve Green

Looking forward to this - problems I've had with some of the specials and the prog in general is that there is a lot of set up and then a long wait.

Maybe that's the only way they can do things under the circumstances, but it doesn't make for a satisfying read until it gets collected, and it just makes it hard to keep up any momentum.

dweezil2

I enjoyed the prelude story in Minty/Scream, so very much looking forward to this!
Rebellionverse you say? Move over Marvel!  ;)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

DrJomster

Yep, buying this!

Here's hoping for an ongoing series of specials if all goes well.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

maryanddavid

Looks brilliant! What a fantastic cover.
Any comic that had Adam Eterno and Blake Edmunds is a must buy :)

Bolt-01

Ooh, it seems that the may be a very familiar can-of-worms being opened...

The Millsverse- Be Vigilant

...not really sure how I feel about this- on one hand I agree that the creators of the characters, or their estates 'should' get some financial recompense, but on the other Rebellion paid a lot of money for the rights to use these characters. To weaken the potential return could well lead to these characters returning to the nowhere-land they've been in.

broodblik

I can understand Mills point-of-view since he has a lot of current characters active and surely he does not any one for example to revive Nemesis or continue on Slaine. These characters has not been active for many many years and many of the creators are not with us anymore.

This is a change for people like me to get to know these characters (expect for Blake Edmonds which I read in the Eagle).

This looks interesting and I will differently buy it when it is releases. I am glad that they are using Simon Coleby on art duty
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 23 April, 2018, 03:17:27 PM
Ooh, it seems that the may be a very familiar can-of-worms being opened...

I'm beginning to wonder if Pat's planning to open a vineyard, given the sheer quantity of sour grapes he seems to be cultivating these days...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Pat has a point about being fair to creators.
On the other hand Kek-W has said on Twitter he'd do Death Wish comics if they'd only let him, so there's that.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor Bear on 23 April, 2018, 07:15:29 PM
Pat has a point about being fair to creators.

Since he fought so hard to get Frank Hampson cut a cheque for recycling Dan Dare in the 2000AD relaunch and absolutely didn't excise the artist who co-created Accident Man from the movie's credits just because he was dead?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.