Main Menu

I am the god of drawing, enjoy

Started by traviswellman, 23 July, 2010, 07:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

Quote from: traviswellman on 24 July, 2010, 03:51:21 PM
.....but I've stopped drawing from life now because it doesn't look right for this sort of thing which is why I wanted to get rid of it.
Any other technical issues are just exaggeration and style.

I'm still appreciating any and all comments though.
I think your problems are highlighted here. Drawing from life will improve your drawing of the things you pull from your imagination as well, because they will be grounded in reality, if that makes sense. Also, the second comment I've highlighted is very dismissive of any crits that may come your way! For the record, though, I quite like what you've posted so far.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

pauljholden

You need to get a decent scanner.

traviswellman

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 24 July, 2010, 04:32:46 PM
Quote from: traviswellman on 24 July, 2010, 03:51:21 PM
.....but I've stopped drawing from life now because it doesn't look right for this sort of thing which is why I wanted to get rid of it.
Any other technical issues are just exaggeration and style.

I'm still appreciating any and all comments though.
I think your problems are highlighted here. Drawing from life will improve your drawing of the things you pull from your imagination as well, because they will be grounded in reality, if that makes sense. Also, the second comment I've highlighted is very dismissive of any crits that may come your way! For the record, though, I quite like what you've posted so far.

chill out, i really mean it, its appreciated. 

Richmond Clements

QuoteBy writing though I mean it's all written in my head, just need to type it.

Y'see, that isn't actually writing. That's what we call 'having an idea.'

The Legendary Shark

This is going to end in tears.

Huge, great, big ones in the fabric of spacetime.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

mygrimmbrother

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 24 July, 2010, 08:09:46 PM
Who is Travis Wellman??

Same as Travis Bickle, but with a pen instead of a gun.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

locustsofdeath!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 24 July, 2010, 08:09:46 PM
Who is Travis Wellman??

You're kidding, right? This is Travis Wellman, for God's sake! THE Travis Wellman! On our lowly board!
@jamesfeistdraws

Emperor

Play nice everyone.

Quote from: House of Usher on 24 July, 2010, 03:33:14 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 24 July, 2010, 03:17:30 PM
Any heat is good heat ;)

Emperor, you're standing too near to the uranium!  ::)

I haven't been around uranium in years. I blame it on the half-life.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

JayzusB.Christ

QuotePlay nice everyone.

Sigh. Aw Emp. Tut.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Smarty

Those manga guys you love so much (I love them too! shinkawa= the best) have a depth to their style which isn't forced but comes from being a good draughtsman first. The sooner you challenge yourself and stop taking shortcuts and calling it 'style' the better. A good 'stylised' piece doesn't come from the artists shortcoming in draughtsmanship. All those artists you quoted me learnt the fundamentals first, from 1000's of drawings from life i bet. You need to know something before you can simplify it, so many people who like comics and manga miss this point, get to a lifedrawing class. I understand your point about being another Jim Lee clone, I don't want to be that either! But the sloppy style guys (Shinkawa,Wood, Murphy) make it look easy because they can draw like a classical artist first.

Keep ignoring your weaknesses and you might end up the next Liefield instead.

good luck

traviswellman

traviswellman

traviswellman

Quote from: Smarty on 25 July, 2010, 08:04:37 PM
! But the sloppy style guys (Shinkawa,Wood, .

My favourite artists are not sloppy