Main Menu

Comixology IDW Judge Dredd sale!

Started by shaolin_monkey, 07 May, 2019, 01:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

I couldn't see if this had been posted anywhere:

https://m.comixology.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-Sale

I'm not sure of the quality of the IDW Dredd stuff, except the Mars Attacks one, which is currently an absolute bargain!

https://m.comixology.co.uk/Mars-Attacks-Judge-Dredd/digital-comic/70566?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvbW9iaWxlL3NsaWRlckxpc3QvQ29sbGVjdGVkRWRpdGlvbnM

Does anyone have any other IDW Dredd recommendations?

broodblik

The following tales I find to be good and can be purchased: "Under Siege" , Anderson, Year One and MArs Attacks. The rest of the titles are below par
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Judgedreddrocks

I just bought a few, paid for them and just afterwards realised its digital only. Raging!!!

CalHab

Contact them quickly. I've found they're pretty decent about doing refunds for accidental purchases.

IndigoPrime

I got the Dredd Humble Bundle, which had most of the company's Dredd output. My take:

The Swierczynski Judge Dredd series/Mega-City Zero/Blessed Earth are trash. The former starts off with some reasonable bits here and there, but very quickly descends into inept storytelling. MCZ may as well be a completely different strip – and it's not a good one.

Judge Dredd: Mega-City Two has its fans, but I found it incomprehensible and impenetrable. It seems to have some nice ideas and satire, but the storytelling is not good.

Mars Attacks Judge Dredd is buckets of fun. Ewing serves up a very silly story, which marries the two universes surprisingly well. Great art, too. Definitely grab that one if you haven't already.

I don't remember much about Matt Smith's Judge Dredd: Year One and Judge Dredd: Anderson, Psi-Division comics, bar that they were solid. Which probably sounds like I'm damning them with faint praise, but that's not the case. They are decent enough slices of both strips, if you have a hankering for more.

I've not read Under Siege, but am willing to give it a crack for two quid. But, seriously, avoid Swierczynski Dredd/Mega-City Zero/Blessed Earth/Mega-City Two, everyone, if you know what's good for you.

broodblik

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 May, 2019, 09:20:53 AM
The Swierczynski Judge Dredd series/Mega-City Zero/Blessed Earth are trash. The former starts off with some reasonable bits here and there, but very quickly descends into inept storytelling. MCZ may as well be a completely different strip – and it's not a good one.

I've not read Under Siege, but am willing to give it a crack for two quid. But, seriously, avoid Swierczynski Dredd/Mega-City Zero/Blessed Earth/Mega-City Two, everyone, if you know what's good for you.

As Indigo states Swierczynski Dredd/Mega-City Zero/Blessed Earth/Mega-City Two are all poor attempts at Dredd  :'( :'( :'(
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Steve Green

Dredd: Year One I'd describe as if you were doing a movie Dredd on a decent budget, or if you wanted a good intro to the strip without all the baggage.

Great Simon Coleby art too.

Colin YNWA

I'll stand up for Mega City Zero and Blessed Earth. I completeyl agree they are very different take on things but I found them refreshing for that. Better than some of the other stuff which was just middling to low Dredd and we have enough middle to high Dredd to not need more of that.

Max Headroom

Quite liked Mega City Zero and The Blessed Earth - they are much maligned by some here, but I thought they were okay.