Main Menu

Obscurum Artem

Started by Funt Solo, 20 June, 2020, 04:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Oz Gallery

Click the image to see a larger version.

It'd be good if there was some kind of rotation feature for images, but you'll have to just tip your screen (or your heid) for that one. (I'm cheating a little with the Glenn Fabry one, which was circa Song of the Surfer, but it fits with the theme).

Liam Sharp (559)Barry Kitson (566)Will Simpson (567)

-------------------------------------

Barry Kitson (568)Liam Sharp (569)Glenn Fabry (662)

Bonus (Chris Weston, real prog 2011):

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Some absolute gems there.  While even the 12-year-old me thought that Liam (just 'L' back then) Sharp's Schwarzenegger Dredd was a bit much, he was a bloody good artist. Still is, of course.
I don't think he got a chance to do an Oz episode, or am I remembering it wrong?
I do remember, though, my crestfallen brother going through the prog with a scissors, sellotape and a marker 'fixing' the last episode of Oz so that [spoiler] Chopper won instead of Jug[/spoiler].

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

paddykafka

As any editorial droid worth his salt would have done.  :lol: That always rankled me as well. I mean, for feck's sake, the lad has crossed thousands of miles of hostile territory, survived all sorts of danger: the least that he deserved was to win the bloody thing!

paddykafka

Yikes! Sorry, forgot to spoiler my post. Could the mods please remove it asap? Have no idea how to do it myself. Thanks!

leethomson

Quote from: Funt Solo on 21 June, 2020, 06:26:14 PM
The Fine Art Prints
(progs 1015-1017)

These were produced on card stock and stapled over the spine on the outside of the comic. The highest quality star scans you ever did see:

Mulder & Scully (1015)Halo Jones (1016)Mazeworld (1017)

Well I never, it turns out that I still have these, along with some pretty nice Scan Cards that would look good in a frame. Thanks for the memory!

JayzusB.Christ

In mature
Quote from: paddykafka on 23 June, 2020, 08:57:29 PM
As any editorial droid worth his salt would have done.  :lol: That always rankled me as well. [spoiler]I mean, for feck's sake, the lad has crossed thousands of miles of hostile territory, survived all sorts of danger: the least that he deserved was to win the bloody thing![/spoiler]

Y'know, these days, I'm not so sure. [spoiler]Having Chopper lose the big one after all his amazing strokes of luck and acts of courage[/spoiler] was a perfect Wagnerian dose of [spoiler]dark irony - sometimes, no matter how hard you strive, it's the spoiled, boorish braggart that wins the day - I refer you to real-world political events of 2016. [/spoiler]
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

It was a stunning twist  that's for sure - especially with all those posters up there,  acting almost like a reader's supporter's kit.  I'm pretty sure I wrote Chopper for Oz! on my schoolbag. However,  it would have been kind of crazy [spoiler]to have a guy who spent the last few years in the Cubes and the last few weeks starving and freezing his way half way around the world to beat a  champion professional athlete who'd been training non-stop: losing emphasised that Chop was extraordinary, but still just a regular human on a flying plank,  that his victory was in getting there and regaining his freedom[/spoiler]: it was his acts of defiance as both scrawler and surfer that defined him, not some superhuman skill.

Funt Solo

The History of Justice
(1985-1986: series by Brian Bolland & Mick McMahon)

An interesting series that hides part of itself away inside the progs in a rare display of off-centre additional colour pages. Note that the second is an homage to prog 74's cover (which I've included here for comparison).

This is one of my favorite poster series, as it harked back to tales I hadn't been able to read and so gave Dredd a rich backdrop. Plus, it's Bolland and McMahon.

The Cursed Earth:
Progs 61-85 (436)
The Cursed Earth:
Progs 61-85 (437)
Judge Dredd / Flesh
(cover of 74)

The Luna War:
Prog 51 (440)
Judge Death Lives:
Progs 224-228 (441)
Bring Me the Head of JD:
Prog 88 (444)

Monkey Business:
Progs184-185 (445)
Punks Rule:
Prog 110 (447)
Judge Fish:
Prog 90 (448)

Dredd's Guerilla War:
Prog 98 (449)
Dredd vs. Fergee:
Prog 101 (451)
Return to Mega-City 1:
Prog 59 (452)

[Tech note: Barney didn't have these, so I scanned them myself. As my scanner delivers a fairly washed-out result, I dragged them through paint.net's "auto-level" adjustment. Not perfect, but okay as a rush job.]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Arh some of these got hacked off the back of Progs to be put on walls (or where a stry strip was on the other side photocopied). They are absolutely superb.

I, Cosh

Awesome. Don't remember those at all from the Prog but they're the covers from  the Eagle comics Judge Dredd reprints.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

I remember those History of Justice very well - the actual events I couldn't remember at the time but have since caught up on.

McMahon's skinny Dredd works surprisingly well.  The uniform is chunky enough to give him presence.  I always liked the idea that Dredd was wiry in those days and added a few pounds in later life (mentioned in a Wagner Dredd, iirc) and never liked the idea of a bodybuilder style Dredd.

TordelBack

It was a weird kind of re-purpusing at the time though - some of those covers had appeared up to 2 years earlier, some were still sitting on newsagents shelves. I wonder what the arrangement was with Eagle,  and who got paid for what.

Not that any of that stopped me putting them on my wall.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: I, Cosh on 24 June, 2020, 07:30:46 AM
Awesome. Don't remember those at all from the Prog but they're the covers from  the Eagle comics Judge Dredd reprints.

Oh I missed the fact that those McMahon ones were from Eagle covers as well. I think simply 'cos I so associate the Eagle covers with Bolland - arguably his most iconic work - if the number of them that have been made into t-shirts is any measure anyway!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 June, 2020, 08:42:09 AM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 24 June, 2020, 07:30:46 AM

Oh I missed the fact that those McMahon ones were from Eagle covers as well. I think simply 'cos I so associate the Eagle covers with Bolland - arguably his most iconic work - if the number of them that have been made into t-shirts is any measure anyway!

Didn't cop that either: i hadn't even heard of the Eagle books till I found some in a second-hand shop in my late twenties.  (I bought the lot and the late, great Stewart Perkins sent me the missing ones for free.)

Funt Solo

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 June, 2020, 08:35:26 AM
It was a weird kind of re-purpusing at the time though - some of those covers had appeared up to 2 years earlier, some were still sitting on newsagents shelves.

Oh, I never knew that. I'd known they got used for reprint covers but I had the timing backwards - I had assumed it was poster series first, covers second. It makes much more sense that those were covers (they're well above the Star Pin-Up quality of the time) first and posters second.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++