Main Menu

First short comic

Started by briantm, 03 August, 2014, 06:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantm

Hi,

I recently completed my first short comic and have just put it up online.

http://www.brianmanton.com/comics/

It's a bit abstract :)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Frank

Cheers for the free read, Brian. Your art style reminds me of Eddie Campbell and D'Israeli, and the subject matter makes your story a metafictional companion to Alan Moore's The Time Machine (prog 324). All those things are great.

briantm

Those are some lofty comparisons  :o  I can't see that myself of course, but I love all the creators you've mentioned.

Thank you very much for reading and replying. Glad you liked it.

(Also, I must check out The Time Machine to see what you mean  :) )

Frank

Quote from: briantm on 03 August, 2014, 07:17:50 PM
I must check out The Time Machine to see what you mean

It's in The Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks, and it's often cited as one of the best things the comic has published. I won't spoil it for you, but the metaphorical use of water and the association between drowning and regrets for lives never lived are story elements it shares with your own work:

scottinnitus

Loved this Brian! cool art style and dialogue! awesome! hope to see more of your work :) or perhaps work on something in future :)

Scott

Montynero

Great stuff.

You're making use of storytelling devices unique to this medium, and you're aspiring more to art than commerce. That's what I liked about it - that and the evocative tone and mood - so keep on that track if you can. The one thing no-one can ever teach is articulating an original, interesting voice and you've already done that so keep at it.

briantm

Hi Scott and Monty,

Thank you very much for reading and replying.

The words of encouragement are greatly appreciated  :D

Proudhuff

Excellent, beautifully created and thought provoking.
DDT did a job on me

briantm