Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny.
You may quote me on that.

Tiplodocus

I played DARK FORCES to death back in '95.  Loved it.

Having being brought up playing with Star Wars figures* and making do with 2 storm troopers who always had to come back to life after you "shot" them, it was a joy to walk into a room full of them and blast away.

DARK FORCES II just made me feel sea-sick though so I had to stop playing it half way through.

* Yes, I probably was too old for this.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Zarjazzer

sniper 2 I had it beat and now I'm hooked again...and soon zombies.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

I, Cosh

Got an iPod touch last week so it's been all iOS games since then. Feel free to recommend as many as you like which I've missed out on.

Infinity Blade is visually astounding and pretty fun if a bit samey.

Dredd vs Zombies is cracking: the first game I've played in this format where I can just about get the onscreen joystick to work properly.

Aces of the Luftwaffe is a great fun update of a 1942 style WWII shootemup.
We never really die.

radiator

Damn you lot, I've now got a real hankering to play Dark Forces - a game I loved back in the day... Aahhhh, Virgin White Label...

Looks like its available on PSN, so that's the first thing ill be doing when I get back from the states.

I tend to find old school 'Doom Clone' FPSes hold up surprisingly well as they're so direct and easy to play. It's interesting to play them now as I always used to use cheat codes/God mode and its fun to try and beat them 'honestly' now as I have a lot more willpower as an adult!

radiator

Cosh, I'd recommend the following iOS games:

Zombie HQ (Rebellion's new game, an enhanced version of Dredd Vs Zombies, really. Well worth a look when you're done with Dredd).

Another World: Anniversary Edition

Bookworm

Drop7

Fruit Ninja

He-Man: The Most Powerful Game in the Universe is surprisingly good once you get a few upgrades, with a nice postmodern vibe to the dialogue.

Jetpack Joyride

Slam Dunk King

Run Roo Run

Scribblenauts Remix

Ski Safari

Final Fantasy 4

The Walking Dead: Assault

Joe Danger: Touch!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I have been struggling with both Oblivion and Deus Ex over the last week.

Deus Ex seems too clunky. I may abandon it in favour of the new one (I got them cheap in a package on Steam).

Oblivion just seems too user unfriendly. I am really struggling with it. Not only have I not levelled up after about four hours playing (eh?) but the structure seems arbitraty and unnecessarily scant with its information (example: I joined the Thieves Guild so I could sell stolen stuff. I'm told I can now use a fence. Great! Except I am NOT told where there is a fence, and it turns out the only one you can use as an entry level thief is in a whole separate town from the one where you join the poxy guild!)

Does Skyrim play the same way?

It seems a shame as both games get rave reviews and yet I just can't get into them. On the Oblivion front, I played and loved Fallout 3. Maybe that has spolied me?
Lock up your spoons!

JamesC

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 27 February, 2013, 08:44:59 AM

Deus Ex seems too clunky. I may abandon it in favour of the new one (I got them cheap in a package on Steam).

Oblivion just seems too user unfriendly. I am really struggling with it. Not only have I not levelled up after about four hours playing (eh?) but the structure seems arbitraty and unnecessarily scant with its information (example: I joined the Thieves Guild so I could sell stolen stuff. I'm told I can now use a fence. Great! Except I am NOT told where there is a fence, and it turns out the only one you can use as an entry level thief is in a whole separate town from the one where you join the poxy guild!)

It seems a shame as both games get rave reviews and yet I just can't get into them. On the Oblivion front, I played and loved Fallout 3. Maybe that has spolied me?

I struggled with Skyrim, mainly because I'm not very familiar with lots of RPG conventions which it seems to rely on.
I started off picking up every item in case I needed it and then having to drop loads of items because I was carrying too much - but I had no idea what was likely to be useful and what wasn't (and I couldn't be asked to 'inspect' every item to get info on it). It seems that loads of items are just junk that you can sell for a few pence - what's the fucking point? I get really bored of games where you have to check every trunk, box or pot in every room you go into because you're scared of missing something important or worth having (see also - Zelda games and Deus Ex). The same goes for searching corpses (looking at you Bioshock).

The other thing with Skyrim was that I decided to level up as a barbarian/warrior type without realising that the sword combat would be rubbish. Every time I attacked someone I was hacking at a space 30 degrees to the left of them.

qtwerk

Skyrim and Oblivion are two of the greatest RPGs of this or any other generation. Neither are perfect, but the (very large) world that Bethesda create for you to live (and die) in is quite amazingly beautiful. Even more so in Skyrim with the updated engine.

As with any RPG, it takes a bit of time to get into the ryhthm required to really enjoy it, but once you do expect to lose 100 hours of your life.

Not sure which Deus Ex you're talking about, but the latest iteration is a fabulous, dream-like, cyber-punk treat. Although the boss fights are occasionally tedious.

Link Prime

If you're a fan of Fallout 3 / Fallout New Vegas, you'll instantly fall in love with Skyrim.
I've recently added the DLC and am topping 200 hours game play. One of the finest games ever made.

Professor Bear

Skyrim is a huge improvement over Oblivion in just about every way, and while I had the same combat gripes as Dr X, stick with it and you soon discover that being shit at everything right at the start is part of the game experience, and the more perks and levels you manage to add to your character, the more useful the associated weapons become.  Leveling up by improving individual skills rather than the other way around is a neat touch, too.

ThryllSeekyr

I just spent the last fortnight playing the three Slaine Diceman games.

I successfully completed Cauldron of Blood in two goes, Dragoncorpse in one go and Ring of Danu in four goes.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Half-Life2

After having a bit of a silly rant over on another thread about plans to make this series into a movie, I thought I'd have another crack at this. It's still one of the best games ever made, mainly because Valve's source engine is such a well designed designed piece of kit. It's a sign of a good game when shooting down helicopter gunships with an rpg is one of the more tedious parts.

The pacing is perfect, the mood, tone and atmosphere switches seamlessly from a desperate attempt to escape from enemy forces, to survival horror in a village populated by zombies controlled by extra-dimensional-brain-spiders, to urban warfare as you take the fight to the bad-guys.

A few niggles here and there, like the previously mentioned helicopter fights (it seems to be fairly arbitrary whether or not your lazer guided missiles hit home, unless I'm missing a trick) and there are parts where you lead a squad of either giant bugs or fellow resistance members that are a bit buggy. They tend to get in your way, which can be annoying if you're desperately trying to get to cover and they just stand there, blocking the doorway to salvation, just staring at you.

I would suggest that anyone who enjoyed this try a mod of this game called The Stanley Parable. I won't say anything about it, it's best if you go into it completely cold.
You may quote me on that.

Dark Jimbo

I played HL2 for the first time about six months ago (yes folks, that's how far behind the times I am). Stunning stuff, and nice to finally see what all the fuss was about - a game you could properly lose yourself in, with some cracking phsyics mechanics. Ravenholm was particularly terrifying, the more so as I played through using only the Gravity Gun for an achievement. The only bit that really ticked me off was trying to take down all the tripod thingies in the Square - had to attempt that so many times it stopped being fun.

At some point I intend to get around to playing Episodes 1 and 2. Can't wait.
@jamesfeistdraws