Main Menu

harlem heroes update???

Started by stront692, 15 March, 2004, 02:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stront692

the harlem heroes update around prog 600 or so, i liked the first story but then the art drops and nothing much happens in each one really

but the art of i think, steve dillon saved it in my mind but the one thing is every time i read it i couldnt work out what it had to do with harlem heroes?

why was it called harlem heroes?? i cant remember the full story now but i get the same sort of feeling when i read durham red (why is this durham red, it has nothing to do with durham red and is just like new characters in a story called durham red - thats the kind of feeling i got with it)

IndigoPrime

As far as I could see, it was called Harlem Heroes because they played aeroball in the prison, and, erm, that's it. Although it blatantly clashed with Dredd continuity, I thought the first run of the story began quite well; however, it soon became unreadable tosh. Quite frankly, I'm happy for it never to appear again.

On the other hand, I'd be happy to see a de-facto Harlem Heroes remake, perhaps set in the modern-day MC1, and focussing on the people more than the sport/games, which could provide a backdrop of sorts.

stront692

thats what i thought, thanks for that

im in agreement that harlem heroes deserves a decent update and just forget about this one, but that first story was quite a gripper and very classy (as long as u read it as a standalone and forget the fact its called harlem heroes, but im biased cos i read it first time around too)

Dudley

Future sports stories... when was the last decent one?  Was there ever a decent one?

stront692

that one that appeared in ACTION was quite good, #DEATHBOWL i think it was called

stront692

oh and MEAN ARENA was good, MEAN TEAM was bloody excellent too

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.

stront692

the one where they all have bikes an  its a complete rip off from rollerball

yep, good story that one

Steamboy

what was the one where they all rode Cyber enhanced Dinosaurs, didn't mind that one.
Never read the original Harlem Heroes so I didn't mind the one with Dillon art. the one in the 900's was pretty bad(what a shock it involved Nanites or nanobots or some such guff as did about 8 other stories from that era) except for some nice art by Siku, actually I think this was the first Siku art in 2000Ad that I remember.

CU Krestel

Bolt-01

IndigoPrime

:: Future sports stories... when was the last decent one?
:: Was there ever a decent one?

Chopper: Song of the Surfer.

One of the very few graphic novels I own where I also own the original progs. It's a classic story.

stront692

there are lots of good sports movies every year, fans are going to like them more but just bcos they are set in the future and the sport they predict doesnt have any fans yet - i dont see why people shouldnt like them, i like new things

therev

Hate sportsss.
Every lassst one of them.
Even Nekkid Bucksssom Women'sss Beach Vollyball In Mud.

Like comicsss...

~ReV slithers off back under his stone~

Dudley

"Nekkid Bucksssom Women'sss Beach Vollyball In Mud"

I hear the sound of Tiplodocus scribbling his next Pitchfest entry...

JayzusB.Christ

'Chopper: Song of the Surfer. '

Christ, yeah, all the Skysurfing stories up to and including that one were freaking amazing. See, future sports CAN be done well, but they usually aren't.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"