Main Menu

Rebellion Sets Up $100 Million U.K. Film and TV Studio

Started by JOE SOAP, 25 November, 2018, 12:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Advertising in industry mag Variety that you have a large studio to rent (amongst your IP wares) is not a bad move.

A small country like Ireland with loads of free space has about half a dozen large scale film/TV studios for rent and more proposed.

2000AD productions may or may not be exactly imminent but studio rental is a game to be in. Rebellion obviously wants to diversify and expand its portfolio, and is willing to borrow and invest large capital to do that.

Marvel, while not originally needing or intending to build their own infrastructure, did something similar on a larger, riskier scale by borrowing $525 million from Merrill Lynch to fund their Phase One films.

HOW MARVEL RISKED EVERYTHING TO GO FROM BANKRUPTCY TO BILLIONS

Blade made $70 million at the U.S. box office, but Marvel only pocketed a shocking $25,000. Because of a flat-fee negotiation, Marvel made nothing off the success of X-Men.

In 2003, Endeavor talent agent David Maisel pitched Marvel a simple, but radical idea: why continue to give away your best assets to other companies for a paltry fee? Create your own production studio, develop and produce these titles in house and retain 100% of the profits.  At the time, Marvel was intrigued but hesitant to move forward. After about seven years toiling away at profitability in the wake of their bankruptcy, they were finally starting to see some returns, as small as they were. Why risk all that on a plan that leave them broke again?

Maisel was persistent; his main argument was that if this deal failed they were arguably no worse off than where they currently were, but with a chance to become their own successful studio and finally in creative and financial control of their own assets. In 2005, the Marvel board approved Maisel's plan and a seven-year, $525 million financing deal with Merrill Lynch was announced that would launch Marvel Studios, an internal production company that would "give Marvel complete creative control" over their films (an agreement was reached with Paramount Pictures who would market and distribute the films).

But, to get that $525 million, Marvel had to put something up as collateral: almost everything they had.

The deal included 10 properties — Captain America, The Avengers, Nick Fury, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Cloak & Dagger, Doctor Strange, Hawkeye, Power Pack, and Shang-Chi — and if the Marvel Studios plan failed, they would lose the rights to every single one of those properties. The bank would own them and the plans for a Marvel Cinematic Universe would be dead.

wedgeski

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 November, 2018, 02:37:48 PM
Nervous of any risk to the Precious, but optimistic that they can do this if anyone can.
You have summed up my feelings perfectly.

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Dash Decent

This is why they're bringing out the Sweeny Toddler collection.  My 14.99 is helping finance this!

I'm practically a shareholder!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

sheridan

Quote from: Dash Decent on 26 November, 2018, 11:19:19 AM
This is why they're bringing out the Sweeny Toddler collection.  My 14.99 is helping finance this!

I'm practically a shareholder!

Well done - only another 6,671,114 copies to sell and it'll cover the studio acquisition *

* afraid I don't know the printing, distribution and marketing costs

IAMTHESYSTEM

The Daily Mail newspaper has its print run in Didcot, so Fascism runs throughout the framework of the Building perfect for Judge Dredd!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Sinx

I'd like to see them do Zenith as a movie - both cashing in on the current craze and acting as a bit of an antidote

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

IAMTHESYSTEM

Mr H's current status of the Judge Dredd TV series. Might be a longer wait than we thought.

https://youtu.be/4DQ9NDvam2A

― Nikola Tesla

IndigoPrime

Is that going to be 17 minutes of speculation, if I watch it?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 March, 2019, 11:53:44 AM
Is that going to be 17 minutes of speculation, if I watch it?

Given that he says he has no new info in the first minute (despite asking Rebellion for an update), I didn't bother listening to the rest of it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Recap + criticising lazy journos regurgitated Netflix/urban clickbait

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 20 March, 2019, 12:32:14 PM
Recap + criticising lazy journos regurgitated Netflix/urban clickbait

Though amusingly enough just repeating what had been reported previously.  Nice to have a recap of what has gone before though.  (speaking as somebody who just listened to it while eating their lunch at work, so not time I would have been devoting to anything else).

Steve Green

One interesting point that was pointed out to me a couple of weeks ago is that IMGlobal don't seem to be involved any longer.

Mark Stern has set up a new company and all the scripted stuff has gone with him.

So Mc-1 is now under Fearless Media Group...

IAMTHESYSTEM

― Nikola Tesla