Main Menu

Prog 1809 : THIS ONE'LL KILL YA!

Started by Buttonman, 10 November, 2012, 01:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 15 November, 2012, 09:00:20 AM
So, Hammerstein changed heads as a disguise? But kept the same name?
He didn't think that through...

But EVERY Hammerstein is called Hammerstein. There are tens of thousands of them, all with the same name.
@jamesfeistdraws

Richmond Clements

And the same head..? So might it have been better just to keep the original one on?

James Stacey

Ah but it was pointed out by RoJaws he had distinctive scars on his other head. He could have just got a new one the same model as the old one I guess but that wont explain why he looked different in Robusters

Richmond Clements

Quote from: James Stacey on 15 November, 2012, 03:06:48 PM
Ah but it was pointed out by RoJaws he had distinctive scars on his other head. He could have just got a new one the same model as the old one I guess but that wont explain why he looked different in Robusters

Well, it doesn't really explain anything at all as it is. There are massive holes in the plot that the reader is required to ignore.
Compare this to the tight scripting going on between THREE DIFFERENT WRITERS in the Dredd world strips.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 15 November, 2012, 03:29:02 PM
Well, it doesn't really explain anything at all as it is. There are massive holes in the plot that the reader is required to ignore.
Compare this to the tight scripting going on between THREE DIFFERENT WRITERS in the Dredd world strips.
This. I find Mill's writing progressively annoying to my taste, in the time i've been reading the prog (2 years) there has only been two instances where I actively liked something he wrote. Savage and Visible Man Returns. Flesh: Midnight Cowboys and this run of ABC's has been abysmal, with only the great artowork saving either.

Taryn Tailz

What a fantastic prog this week, particularly the Dredd/Low Life/Simping trio.

Nice to see Maitland back in Dredd, although has she always had that percentage sign on her shoulder pad? I've never noticed that before.

Frank

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 15 November, 2012, 09:00:20 AM
So, Hammerstein changed heads as a disguise? But kept the same name? He didn't think that through...

Batman's dog wears a mask, so none of the other dogs recognise it.

Richard

Proudhuff,

I phoned Denise the other day and she said that several people have reported no prog this week, and an unusually high number of them too. She sent me another one. It's not just you, I would get in tehre if I were you!

Consequently I just read 1809 today, and thought it was fantastic, for the reasons others have given above, but especially for the Judge Hershey stuff and the old-school 1980s colouring-in for the flash-back scenes. Perfect.

I agree with all of Chosen Rider's speculation.

I think the (real-world) reason Bachmann is targeting the Wally Squad is because the story is basically about the bad guys trying to get hold of some top secret data (which [spoiler]will turn out to be the cold deck of the title[/spoiler]) and this happens to be a list of names of judges. If they were judges in any other division they wouldn't be very secret would they? So the plot requires that they be the undercover judges.

U.S.S.R

Wow all this speculation is brilliant, I don't know what to think!   :D
Gays into the Fist of Dredd!

Kanoobi

Quote from: Dan Kelly on 10 November, 2012, 02:03:05 PM
We now have a name for The Biscuit Dunking Man and it looks like he's been around for quite some time (in fact we've seen him before the current run I think)
What? Who? Where?  lol. Who's the biscuit dunker then? I may have missed something, I thought he was still a mystery.

One of the best progs for a while, everything a joy to read. I loved the Dredd strip although I was wishing Dredd would talk a bit more lol, especially with Hershey, they were a good team together in the old days, I hope that bond is maintained.

Ro-Jaws too! And even a "Big Jobs" from Mek-Quake. Along with the Judge Child and other classic story references I'm enjoying the little nostalgia vibe going on.

Tombo

Quote from: Kanoobi on 16 November, 2012, 12:25:24 PM
What? Who? Where?  lol. Who's the biscuit dunker then? I may have missed something, I thought he was still a mystery.

You can see his badge on the first page, panel 5.  The "mothership" H-Wagon showed up in the flashback scene at the end of Low Life: Creation.

Kanoobi

Ah yes thanks Tombo. I think the current strips will warrant a re-read to take everything in and appreciate them more :)

Hawkmumbler

What get's me is obvielsy how long Ewing, Spurrier and Williems have been planning this in advance. Truely remarkable.

Goaty

Looking forward to next Prog with Dredd with clue "Ace In The Hole"

The Sherman Kid

What more can I say 2000AD is firing on all cylinders and is a complete joy to read.

Cold Deck is superbly done, I loved the Judge Child flashback and, as some else mentioned, Hershey's character appeared to develop more it one Prog that it had done in years.Low Life has come a long way and another layer of depth given this week, and as ever though, the humour is sublime.The Simping Detective, has always been a favourite, so well written and the new touches of colour in the artwork really help lift it even more.

Altogether ,the three-way tie-in has been brilliantly executed and a real treat.

So good it's been that Brass Sun, an instant classic has been put a little in the shade.

Even really enjoyed ABC Warriors ,though Pat couldn't resist hitting us with all the subtlety of a hammer, his anti-war message.I applaud the sentiment, but not some of the figures (or spelling, no u in iraqis).Top four are correct.

Another fantastic prog overall.