Main Menu

Help Me With Steam.....Please.....

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 15 May, 2014, 05:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr

've also had the change my Google password. Which is a very lengthy process considering it's linked to my Gmail and You-Tube account. As I have had to change my passwords for each of these.

No. Your Google account is the same across all services.

Theblazeuk

I really think a clean slate is the only way for you to go. Other wise you'll keep seeing links where there aren't any as explanations for Steam's refusal to move will be hard to come by. Nothing else is related.

Out of curiosity what error message does it give you when you try to delete the Steam folder directly?

Also we assume you are running antivirus programmes and a firewall. Problems may either be caused by these or by the lack of them.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Banners on 23 May, 2014, 10:50:39 AM

've also had the change my Google password. Which is a very lengthy process considering it's linked to my Gmail and You-Tube account. As I have had to change my passwords for each of these.

It did ask me at one time if I wanted to link my You-Tube account with my GMail account via Google. I think that how it was, anyway.

I think this was a bad move.....:/

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Banners on 23 May, 2014, 10:50:39 AM

It did ask me at one time if I wanted to link my You-Tube account with my GMail account via Google. I think that how it was, anyway.

I think this was a bad move.....:/

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 23 May, 2014, 10:55:41 AM
I really think a clean slate is the only way for you to go. Other wise you'll keep seeing links where there aren't any as explanations for Steam's refusal to move will be hard to come by. Nothing else is related.

Out of curiosity what error message does it give you when you try to delete the Steam folder directly?

Also we assume you are running antivirus programmes and a firewall. Problems may either be caused by these or by the lack of them.

It doesn't give me a error message. It just appears to start going through the process of shifting it self from where it is to the Delete bin, but never completes this process and every time I retry this it just starts all over again.

Like it's done nothing at all in the first place.

Theblazeuk

You've closed down all steam related processes?

What does it say when you try to uninstall via add/remove programs?

Dash Decent

I feel your pain, ThryllSeekyr.  It's awful when something stops your computer from working.  You just want to switch it on and get on with life and you end up in an agonising spiral of chasing down one possibility after another.  The frustration can really chew you up inside and you just want some help getting out of the quicksand...

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 15 May, 2014, 05:23:24 AM
But I my computer keeps giving me a pop up telling me that my hard disk is damaged and needs repairing. I go through this process where it shuts down and restarts my computer as it backs up all my files and then when my computer resumes. I'm back to square one.

I wonder whether this is a genuine Windows message or somekind of malware trying to trick you in some way (like this for example).  Given that you still seem to be able to move around your system pretty easily, I think this is more likely than a dodgy HDD.  I recomment you run Malwarebytes.  It's free and you can get it here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware.shtml

(Note: Use the BLUE download button - the big obvious green button is an ad for something else.)

You should also run your anti virus software.  If you don't have any, I highly recomment the free version of Avast!, which you can download from here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Avast-Home-Edition.shtml  (ditto about the blue download button)

(Their homepage is here: http://www.avast.com/en-au/free-antivirus-download)

I also recommend 360Amigo, a free Windows tune-up tool (http://www.360amigo.com/download/).  As well as a whole host of handy features, it has a "hard drive doctor" option (under System Tools) which you can use to check the HDD is okay.

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 15 May, 2014, 05:23:24 AM
Then I decide Steam might be missing a vital file and need to reinstalled. I click on the installer and it won't reinstall until I can remove the Steam first.

You could try a free file unlocker like the one here: http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/#download

I haven't used Unlocker but I highly recommend all the other software I mentioned.  I use them all.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

ThryllSeekyr

For the last fucking three weeks Steam has been acting erractically ever since my computer went into a forced restore. Forcing me to delete and re install everything I had on my computer.  Since Have reinstalled Steam...it reusing to allow any of the installed games to stay installed, Which requires me to reinstall them.

Yet, this takes a while and with some games it could take anything from days to week.

The relaunching process of some of these games is the most time consuming.

Stream...also dumps all of it's folders and some of it's contents up on my desktop.

When I try t restore or delete these, they are hard to get rid off.

Don't know why this is happening, but I let Steam know. I contacted through their help/support  page.

I don't know if they are working on it and or if even they consider it resolved.

jackstarr

QuoteStream...also dumps all of it's folders and some of it's contents up on my desktop.

Have you been running Steam from a desktop shortcut?  If so, when you created the shortcut did you actually create a shortcut, or did you just make a copy of the Steam exe file on the desktop?  If the latter, then Steam would get confused and start dumping files onto your desktop.  Make sure the steam exe is in the steam installation folder, and delete any steam-related files from your desktop.

I'm off to work now, but see if that rings a bell, and if not I'll suggest some more fixes later.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: jackstarr on 14 July, 2014, 08:31:34 AM
QuoteStream...also dumps all of it's folders and some of it's contents up on my desktop.

Have you been running Steam from a desktop shortcut?  If so, when you created the shortcut did you actually create a shortcut, or did you just make a copy of the Steam exe file on the desktop?  If the latter, then Steam would get confused and start dumping files onto your desktop.  Make sure the steam exe is in the steam installation folder, and delete any steam-related files from your desktop.

I'm off to work now, but see if that rings a bell, and if not I'll suggest some more fixes later.

Thanx Jackstarr, that might be helpful when I try it.....

As of a few hours earlier...I have just lost my entire two terra-byte hard drive......I don't know where's gone...It just isn't showing up anywhere.

I will check and see if it still shows up on the BIOS when I work out into get into that.

I was grinding away contentedly on my second or third attempt at completing enough descent trading runs in Elite Dangerous to upgrade my Sidewinder or get a new ship.

When I heard my computer make a beeping noise that kept repeating as control over my mouse seized up.

I managed to save and quit back to the desktop where it was still doing the same thing.

It wasn't letting me do much, so I had to switch my computer off hot (I've been doing this a lot lately.) and on again. I'm not sure if I did switch it on again straight away.....

But it as I checked the drives to do something else, I noticed.......

Drive D is missing :o

Does that mean it's gone or is it simple failing to be detected.

I hope I haven't lost it and need to have it replaced......mainly because that's where I was storing all the videos I've been making of my game-plays.

Some of those videos will be literally hard to re-record.....

Damn the stupid hard luck I am having with this computer and I still haven't paid it off yet.