Main Menu

DREDD screenwriter Alex Garland answers YOUR questions!

Started by Molch-R, 23 August, 2012, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Quote from: Steve Green on 23 August, 2012, 10:41:32 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 23 August, 2012, 10:26:40 PM
QuoteA:  Goaty, you're awesome.  And by the way, you haven't spotted your only cameo.

No you are awesome, Mr Garland!

Really dumbest question from me, on that last sentence, wasn't he know that "Say No To Slo-Mo" clip was out few days ago, and thanks to Mr Soap to spotted my Goaty graffiti tag! but what does Alex means by that?
Was Goaty graffiti featured in first Trailer? or somewhere?

Sorry board, excellent reading!

He could mean there is something else in the film, not necessarily what has already been released in trailers/tv spots.

Yeah that's what I thought... very curious...  :o

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Molch-R on 23 August, 2012, 06:41:43 PM
I have a particular sense of gratitude to Goaty, because he was so optimistic and supportive.  He lifted me out of some very dark moods.  I was also frequently grateful for Joe Soap's ability to correctly interpret a situation, and debunk a rumour, based on very little information.  In fact, he was sometimes so accurate that I used to wonder if he worked on the production.  He must surely work in post production.  (Are you an editor, Joe?)

Alex, I'm proundly humbled and astonished that my 'grumpiness' had that kind of effect outside of this forum and I thank you for the heartfelt mention*. All I've hoped for with this film is that the right heart and brains were driving it and I think with every passing snippet over the past few years that truth really has borne out.

From the earliest photos of the uniform, sets and lighting I could recognise Ezquerra's mark and I knew you and the crew had hit the nail on the head despite production limits, which I think have been an asset more than a hindrance. When I finally heard Urban/Dredd speak, I knew John's character remained intact and the performance was faithful - Urban's delivery is uncanny. That's all any fan could ask for and for that I say thanks.**

I can only imagine the fun (and sweltering Hell) you had making it.***

*Thanks too for the Easter-Egg; does this mean I'm now officially meta?

**I admit I did download the screenplay but couldn't let myself read past page one - I didn't want to spoil it!

***I am an editor, for my sins.

I can't wait to see the film.

Keep wearin' tight boots.

TordelBack

Hot damn, that was something!  Class act, that man, class act.

Great to see acknowledgement of the boarders who bring so much positivity and/or stone cold sense to this placeless place, and particularly heartening to see Goaty getting well-deserved recognition for his relentless good humour. 

Raising a glass to you, Mr. Garland.  All extremities crossed that Dredd is even half the success it deserves to be.

Goaty

Is it me or does anyone see that Mr Soap got emotional?

Alex, you still the awesome!

Stu101

I thought the same Goaty, re Mr Soap seeming touched... ;)

Great that you guys got little easter eggs, that must feel wicked!

Very interesting read of the Q&A. Respect to Alex.

Who else from the film has been reading this forum I wonder...?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Goaty on 23 August, 2012, 11:35:40 PM
Is it me or does anyone see that Mr Soap got emotional?

Quote from: Stu101 on 23 August, 2012, 11:40:29 PM
I thought the same Goaty, re Mr Soap seeming touched... ;)

Quiet, you slags.

COMMANDO FORCES

He let on those names at LFCC and it has been great fun knowing who was going to be exploding with happiness when the time came. Well done to all the Easter Egg forum members :D

JOE SOAP

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 23 August, 2012, 11:43:43 PM
He let on those names at LFCC and it has been great fun knowing who was going to be exploding with happiness when the time came. Well done to all the Easter Egg forum members :D

It's possibly the best present ever.

blackmocco

And all well-deserved. Can't wait to try and spot 'em all when I see the movie another 500 times.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

ABCwarBOT

Bugger....trust me to miss the Q&A.   Might have asked a question or two but interesting to read his replies. 

Goaty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 August, 2012, 12:13:27 AM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 23 August, 2012, 11:43:43 PM

It's possibly the best present ever.

I agree! I was really surprised, even his reply tonight!! Happy days for Goaty! Also it not my username, it's my nickname for 16 years.

JOE SOAP

MR. ELIMINATOR

Bloody hell that is cool! When were the questions sent?

MR. ELIMINATOR

Also, on the off chance Alex sees this, does Dredd ever say creep? or Creeps?

DrRocka

I spent so long reading and re-reading Alex's replies earlier, I was late for tonight's gig! And now I've just rolled in the door, the first thing I've done is put the kettle on (rock n roll, kids) and read this thread again.

Seriously, it's SO good to feel the love between fans and the filmmakers here, and even better to see Goaty and Joe get some recognition for all the positive and reasoned vibes they've put out all over the place. I am shockingly stoked to see this movie.

And in case you're wondering DREDD has finally got the official Rocka family seal of approval. Thirty years ago, when my prog popped through the letterbox every Saturday morning, my Dad and I RACED to be the first to read it.
Now, I pick my prog up from my local thrill vendor on a Wednesday, and my Dad comes over to babysit when I'm out gigging. My daughter jumps all over him when he arrives with her arms full of toys and drawings that she's desperate to show him, but Dad dutifully parks himself on the couch with a cuppa, kisses her on the forehead, and says "not now sweetheart, Grandad will be with you in five minutes". He pops on his reading glasses and devours the prog, cover to cover, before finishing his tea and settling down on the living room floor to play another round of Pop Up Pirate.

Tonight, when Dad arrived, the first action of this 65 year old,freshly retired rugby player was not to greet me as I opened the door, but to grab me by the shoulders on the doorstep and yell

"There's a DREDD poster gone up opposite my house!!"

...And that's all he's gone on about all night. He's made me swear we're going to see it on opening night, and has apparently been sat watching ITV all night in the hope of catching the trailer again.

My Dad outgeeks us all. Alex Garland, you've done a stunning job, sir.
Never ever bloody anything ever