Main Menu

Red Dwarf

Started by Goaty, 04 October, 2012, 12:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

'Broad'. That's a word I keep seeing again and again when people discuss the new series of Red Dwarf. Yet... I've rarely come across it in this context before. In context, i guess it means, over the top?

Anyway, I liked this episode. The video gag with Lister and his 'father' was especially funny.

I thought Lister's [spoiler]return was a bit too convenient,[/spoiler] yet a rather cool scene.

I think Trojan might arguably have the better story, but my initial reaction to this was much more favourable. There were some great funny lines in Trojan, yet I found this funnier overall, I think.

I'm tentatively looking forward to next weeks episode. The bit at the end of the excerpt made me laugh, particularly that character's reaction.

a chosen rider

Quote from: Mardroid on 12 October, 2012, 12:22:07 AM'Broad'. That's a word I keep seeing again and again when people discuss the new series of Red Dwarf. Yet... I've rarely come across it in this context before. In context, i guess it means, over the top?

I think "broad humour" refers to aiming gags at a wide audience: i.e. relying on slapstick, obvious punchlines, silly voices and funny faces to make sure everybody gets the joke, rather than going for subtler more witty moments that might go over some people's heads.

I suspect Red Dwarf has always had a pretty strong element of broad humour to it, probably more than I remember in rose-tinted hindsight, but certainly in the later series there was too much of that and not enough genuine wit.  I think so far series X has succeeded in dialling that aspect back much more: there are still some bits that fall a bit flat for me, but enough good material in between to keep things ticking over.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Goaty

Quote from: Mardroid on 12 October, 2012, 12:22:07 AM
I'm tentatively looking forward to next weeks episode. The bit at the end of the excerpt made me laugh, particularly that character's reaction.

The teaser for next week wasn't subtitled :-( what was the bit at the end about?

James Stacey

I enjoyed last weeks more I think. There were some good bits this week but again a lot of the ideas had already been explored (Queeg) Hopefully not every episode will rely too much on previous ideas.

Daveycandlish

Enjoyed it but I think last week had more laugh out loud moments - biggest laugh was in the trailer for next week...
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

James Stacey

Quote from: Goaty on 12 October, 2012, 06:06:11 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 12 October, 2012, 12:22:07 AM

The teaser for next week wasn't subtitled :-( what was the bit at the end about?
Its here and appears to have CC's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbK3TUCuWYM

[spoiler]Lister says 'Really? Jesus!' and the guy behind him says 'Yes?'[/spoiler]

Goaty

HAHA!

Thanks James...

hate YouTube CC as they not matched.

Dandontdare

Last week's opener was okay, but I thought they really hit their stride with this one. Perfect Dwarf - silly gags tied to cool scifi ideas. The video-message sequence with the guitar was priceless, and I loved the converstaions with the vending machines. Sexy computer too!

It would be overly pedantic to question whether one can enter a spaceship via the ramscoop though!

Mardroid

Quote from: James Stacey on 12 October, 2012, 09:13:55 AM
[spoiler]Lister says 'Really? Jesus!' and the guy behind him says 'Yes?'[/spoiler]

I also liked his follow up expression [spoiler]"... have we met?" (Not something he says, the expression on his face.)

Describing it, doesn't seem funny.... but I thought it was a nice touch.[/spoiler]

There's a new article on the web site describing the new DVD cover. It's reversible to fit with the spines of the original series, if you so wish. I quite like it. Of course if you go to that trouble (and I do genuinely think it's a nice touch) I wonder where you would place Back To Earth since that one's cover doesn't fit.

To think... I'm discussing spines now. I wonder if I'm picking up bad habits here. :)

Adrian Bamforth

Red Dwarf was always very broad. It might suffer by today's more sophisticated comedy styles, but again I'd suggest hat we might just be noticing it more because the format doesn't suit it as much as when it was overrtly theatrical. I actually think they've toned it down due to necessity in some ways (such as the Lister/Rimmer rivalry), and Craig Charles' acting has far more depth.

I think they should go back to a more 'live' format, even if it makes the action more ropes - there's not much point in having a studio audience if it doesn't make you feel like you're getting some of the studio atmosphere, and it can seem like the laughter is canned, or put there to tell you when to laugh.

Mudcrab

Really enjoyed the 2nd one. Not laughed that much at an episode since series 6. Some great "logic" homour in there and the father's day stuff was classic.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Link Prime

Quote from: Mudcrab on 18 October, 2012, 01:42:25 PM
Really enjoyed the 2nd one. Not laughed that much at an episode since series 6. Some great "logic" homour in there and the father's day stuff was classic.

Twas very good indeed, and I really liked the 'Our Rob or Ross' storyline continuation.
Looking forward to 9pm tonight...

Goaty

Enjoy it so far!

Sweden shower! Battery! Shopping List! and how old?  :lol:

Dandontdare

bollox, forgot again.

Who thinks to check Dave for new stuff? On the plus side though, you don't have to worry about it being repeated!

Goaty

It's repeated at 11pm tonight