Main Menu

Prog 2082 - Out For Blood!

Started by Leigh S, 19 May, 2018, 10:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Cactus

Good proggage. Interesting that the veteran writers here are Kek-W and Rennie - not a Wagner, Mills or Abnett to be seen.

Like the cover and it would be good to get Broxton back on another full strip.

I was a bit wary of the Dredd story as to some extent it's kind of an advert for the 'Judges' novels which are of course advertised straight after the strip ends. But I needn't have worried, it's a good start, hope it stays this intriguing.

Skip Tracer is still fine, waiting to see what it will become. For some reason I loved the frame with the boots at the bottom of p.4 - nice design and colouring. Actually the Teague Droid's colouring is fab here.

Survival Geeks does what it does, a bit of light hearted fun, though not a favourite of mine. I find the little Cthulhu thing quite irritating.

Fall of Deadworld made me laugh three times in the first two panels. That's writing! Love this strip.

Really pleased with the new Durham Red. The character has had hit and miss stories throughout her existence but this was a classy first episode, Willsher knocks it out the park for me and the script might be my favourite bit of Worley writing yet. I'm so glad Red isn't wearing that ridiculous outfit any more. That recent-ish series by Grant and Ezquerra was a bit cringey with the old chain-mail loincloth and weird haircut returning. I don't see why Red wouldn't have a bunch of different outfits rather than a set 'costume', although I suppose Johnny wears the same stripey outfit when he's working. He did spice it up with that metallic codpiece for a while, mind. I was surprised to see Red's sports bra seems to have her own logo on it! Also she appears to have shot [spoiler]Wolverine [/spoiler] in the final panel. Looking forward to seeing where this goes, the character and universe have so much potential and it would be great to see some real depth of character developing.

Richard

That logo was so good I was surprised that Tharg didn't incorporate it in the series title.

broodblik

Another good prog

Dredd I like this and the plot is nicely setup. 

Durham Red good solid first episode, really liked Ben's art on this.

Skip Tracer this is really good and I am already intrigued even if it is only the second episode and I am not worried that this feels very fimiliar

Deadworld nice macabre story in the best of ways

Survival Geeks not my cup of tee but quite readable and I can see that this do have space in the prog. Googe art is quite good
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Frank

QuoteThe Satanic Verses celebrates hybridity, impurity, intermingling, the transformation that comes of new and unexpected combinations of human beings, cultures, ideas, politics, movies, songs. Mélange, hotchpotch, a bit of this and a bit of that is how newness enters the world. The Satanic Verses is for change-by-fusion, change-by-conjoining. It is a love-song to our mongrel selves -   Salman Rushdie, Imaginary Homelands

Which is as erudite a description of post-Buffy and Clerks popular fiction as four years at Kings College can buy.

Nans Of Anarchy one week, Dukes Of Meth today; readers can form as accurate a picture of creators' viewing habits as Netflix's algorithm. Remember-this-ism is the basic premise of Survival Geeks, even if the vintage of the references recalls Robohunter asking kids to sing Delilah with different words during National Song Year (1982).

Chelsea Blue was what Alan Grant wanted to call Durham Red[1], which is at least a more subtle kind of reference.

It'd be absurd to expect a spin-off from another strip to exist in its own hermetic bubble, but the introduction of Deadworld Spikes Harvey Rotten suggests Deadworld is just an alternate dimension Dredd[2]. That opens up possibilities - mostly for fan-service - but it closes off what are, to my mind, more interesting avenues to explore.

[1] He was convinced Strontium Dog was about to be made into a movie and didn't want her to sound like Jimmy Nail (Thrillpower Overload, p117)

[2] © Julius Howe (Oxon, comedian):

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 21 May, 2018, 04:44:57 PMan advert for the 'Judges' novels
Which made me nip straight to Wordery and find... no book. And then go to Amazon and find... no book. And then head to the 2000 AD shop and find that the paperback was a limited-edition run of 250. Hrngg.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Frank on 23 May, 2018, 02:15:41 PMbut the introduction of Deadworld Spikes Harvey Rotten suggests Deadworld is just an alternate dimension Dredd[2]. That opens up possibilities - mostly for fan-service - but it closes off what are, to my mind, more interesting avenues to explore.
Or it's just a reference – a nod to long-time readers – that will ultimately not make that much odds.

Pyroxian

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 May, 2018, 02:46:27 PM
Quote from: Frank on 23 May, 2018, 02:15:41 PMbut the introduction of Deadworld Spikes Harvey Rotten suggests Deadworld is just an alternate dimension Dredd[2]. That opens up possibilities - mostly for fan-service - but it closes off what are, to my mind, more interesting avenues to explore.
Or it's just a reference – a nod to long-time readers – that will ultimately not make that much odds.

There was a mention of a 'Mr. Angel' in last week's episode as well.

Mardroid

Very nice cover.

Judge Dredd: Promising start. I hope to pick up the new novella soon.

Survival Geeks: Doesn't seem to be a lot of commenters' cup of tea but I like it. I do like humorous strips, though.

Skip Tracer: still early days, but it's good so far. It's reeling me in.

Dead World: I'm enjoying this, but my memory of past stories is not great.

Durham Red: Just one episode in, but I enjoyed this a lot. I like the fact that it served as a good introduction to the character for new readers too, (I.e. her personality, capabilities). They also used a nice little gag ([spoiler]it's a do-it-yourself  cross he pulls, not a gun!)[/spoiler] to help do this.

A nice new character design, for Durham too. I love those little things us longer term readers* may pick up on. [spoiler]Her alter-ego Chelsea Blue, for example, being the original name considered for the character, and a very familiar mustachiod gentleman on the credits she takes.[/spoiler]

Oh, and I love her new shooters. Bit of a revolver thing going on. They actually remind me a bit of Malcolm Reynolds gun from Firefly... although it's actually quite different.

*Actually I'm a relative newbie compared to many here, but I'm pretty much  up to date as far as Alpha and Red are concerned. Actually I've yet to read all of Abnett's run on the character. I'm just up to The Vermin Stars, so far. Her new clothing does seem far more practical, although I can see how Mark Harrison's version might serve to distract enemies. 😳

DrRocka

Is that Tharg's sister Mary posing naked on the wall in Durham Red? Oh, how the Mighty (One's) have fallen...

Fine prog this, but by gum, Survival Geeks is tedious already.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Alec Worley

Apologies for being a soppy sod. I just wanted to jump on here and thank you guys so much for all your kind words. I am SO glad you're enjoying Durham so far. We've all worked like savages on this one (especially Ben). Working with such a beloved character is always tricky. We wanted to honour everything that's gone before without being beholden to it. And by trying something new there's always the risk that some of the old-school will go bananas. (Just look at the current bruhaha over Thundercats and junior Warhammer!) It's early days, I know, but I really, truly appreciate you guys giving the Durham revamp a chance. Florix grabundae, squaxx dek Thargo!

Magnetica

I enjoyed Durham Red but did wonder how people will react to a story set in a time period earlier than a later  one in which she has been seen (i.e. The Vermin Stars etc).

Personally I have no issue with it, but given a lot of people apparently didn't like the Strontium Dog stories set before Jonnhy's death because they knew "he wasn't going to die this week", how is this viewed?

Richard

That's always been a silly complaint. We'd always assumed in Red's earlier stories that she would survive to the end and it didn't spoil the story then, so why should it matter now?

broodblik

Alec don't worry Durham Red is off to a good start. Hopefully this is a start of more Durham Red.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 23 May, 2018, 07:20:22 PM
That's always been a silly complaint.

Indeed. I've never understood it. We had it with the Stront revival, and with Rennie's Rogue Trooper, and it makes no sense.

We never seriously think Dredd is going to die — the cliffhanger isn't "Oh my God! Is Dredd going to die?!" it's "Oh my God! How how will Dredd get out of this?"
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Quote from: DrRocka on 23 May, 2018, 03:53:45 PM
Is that Tharg's sister Marg posing naked on the wall in Durham Red? Oh, how the Mighty (One's) have fallen...

Probably both of them, unless she's had surgery.