Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 February, 2018, 09:41:28 PM
Thanks, JBC, I appreciate it. People keep asking me how I feel. I spark up a fag, smile and say, "Oh, you know. I'm still alive - which is always a bonus." It sure is a bonus - biggest one there is, I guess. The only question is whether I'm going to focus on how I'm going to live or how long I'm going to live.

Tell your Mum I wish her well and to keep some lemon and ginger tea (preferably Twinings) in the cupboard in case I drop in - us sexy survivors gotta stick together!

Thanks, Sharky.  I'll even overlook the fact that you called my Mam sexy.  ;)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

So long as you don't overlook the fact that I'm sexy...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 February, 2018, 10:37:05 PM
So long as you don't overlook the fact that I'm sexy...

Well, that goes without saying, Love-chunks.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Modern Panther

Don't know if you chaps have noticed, but it's snowing.

I'm in the middle of a part of the country with a Red Warning in place, and it is bloody apocalyptic here.  It's -3, but the wind makes it much colder.  Snow's about a foot deep in places, making powdery dunes.

Warnings are in place telling people not to travel. Trains stopped running yesterday, the M80 is jammed with people who've been stuck in their cars overnight. Twitter is full of official warnings (and people complaining about how the SNP didn't give enough official warning. I saw one lady complain to the First Minister that the council hadnt collected her bins. Blitz spirit.)

If the worst of the weather is heading your way, don't underestimate it. I ran into a couple of american tourists the other day, who had decided to drive across the country and had broken down. No mobile, no toolkit, no map. They had to gut a tauntaun to keep warm.

I'm going outside now. I may be some time.

Dandontdare

I think that Manchester's councillors have been sacrificing their first-borns to the weather gods because every extreme weather event in the last year or two has caused havoc to the North, South or East of us, but we have been relatively untouched - we have snow, but it's just a light blanketing unless you get up on the hills.

The Legendary Shark

The perfect time to hunker down with a pile of progs? Keep an eye out for your neighbours too - if they get too cold you can take 'em some Thrillpower to warm 'em up. Stay warm, Panth.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Wasn't' there a future shock about that?  About the same time as the Apocalypse War?  John Higgins art?  Passing recollection of one of the creatures melting and being used to toast a marshmallow.

Theblazeuk

I haven't left the house today, mostly because the wife is on her treatment so hasn't woken up for more than a few minutes, but otherwise because the wind is howling threats across the whole valley.

The Legendary Shark

My best wishes to your Good Lady, Blaze.

My shed's creaking and groaning like an old boat in this wind.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 March, 2018, 08:13:57 PM
My best wishes to your Good Lady, Blaze.

My shed's creaking and groaning like an old boat in this wind.

Yes, all the best to your wife Blaze.

And maybe you'll lay off the beans at breakfast tomorrow Sharky.

The Legendary Shark

Oh, now you know how much I love my hot air :)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Spikes

Was aiming to be in London today, a prebooked long weekend trip, but alas the Beast has put paid to that.

Luckily I have gotten, or will be getting, a full refund for train and hotel. So, that's indeed something.

But looking at the news, plenty of folks are having a real nightmare, with no immediate let up in sight.

Tjm86

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that there might be a delay in subscription copies of Tooth this week.

TordelBack

I do love when things exceed expectations.  We're closing in on 3 days of continuous snow backed by driving winds here out on the Blessington road, with the estate roads now 2 feet deep of packed snow (I dug a hole to measure!), most of the cars well over their bonnets and many vanished altogether, drifts in the lee of buildings easily 5-6 feet.  Even if we could get the car out the main road doesn't appear to have been treated since Wednesday and is a long ski-slope of frequent car-shaped humps and the occasional gracefully-sliding 4x4.  The only shop open in the area had queues outside it for the two hours it was open until it closed due to lack of anything to sell.

Best. Fun. EVER!

I had long lamented the absence of the rosy-tinted snow-days of my childhood, and managed to trudge to work every day during the last big'un (2010), but this! If our employers and my various clients weren't spending their empty days demanding work from us every five minutes, it'd be pure heaven.  As it is, regular sledding breaks, polar expedition style walks to gawk at a new corner of the devastation, long baking sessions, attempts at snowmen (too granular to compact well, unfortunately) and repeatedly digging-out doors and pavements... ah man, it's wonderful, and no sign of it slackening off any time soon.

I truly feel for those without warm shelter, power and water, or stuck alone or in poor health, but selfishly, for myself, this is something I really never thought I'd get to experience again, and better yet, it's way more extreme than anything I've seen before.  To live so long and see such things!