Main Menu

It Shoulda Ended with...

Started by Link Prime, 13 August, 2019, 04:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

I find the lack of love for Predator 2 disturbing. It's every bit as good as the first. Every subsequent item can/should be forgotten.

My list would include:
Babylon 5: Season 4.
Jaws.
Star Trek IV
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
Nemesis Book IV

and
Tremors

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 August, 2019, 09:06:28 PM
I find the lack of love for Predator 2 disturbing. It's every bit as good as the first.

Some people just don't recognise good pussyface when they see it.

The Exorcist should've skipped one and gone straight to Exorcist III/Legion
Both RoboCop and Ghostbusters are subject to change but at the mo, yes, one-and-done.
American Graffiti
A Christmas Story
Donnie Darko
Repo Man

radiator

It still makes me chuckle that they are right now working on the fourth attempt at Terminator 3. Maybe one day they'll get it right!

JOE SOAP

They're looking to beat A Star Is Born.

Funniest thing is after decades waiting, Cameron finally got the rights returned, then sold it straight back to the same studio who made the previous one – Skydance Media.

Frank

Cameron's a canny bugger.

All nerd franchises are poisoned chalices. There's the one huge exception of Marvel out there to keep everyone hoping they'll get lucky too, but even Star Wars fans are turning mardy.

Tolkien, Batman, Harry Potter, Aliens, Star Trek, Dr Who - nothing can survive social media's ability to let people who thought they would never get tired of talking about something find out that, actually, they can.

* Paradoxically, the fact, noted above, that Avatar completely fell out of the conversation almost instantly might be one factor in the favour of its sequels. Nobody's suffering from over-exposure to Avatar.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 13 August, 2019, 08:48:28 PMBut we didn't get a crap Season 2 inbetween or instead of, is what I'm saying. The film capped it off well, for me, a second or third season might have been a bit samey.
I dunno. Firefly/Serenity is a weird one. There is loads of groundwork done in that opening chunk of episodes, and there's so much scope. I wouldn't want Firefly CSI, but that could easily have done two or three seasons. Instead, we get the first half of season 1, and the finale of season 2 as a movie. However, if the comics really do show some of the stuff Joss Whedon was planning, perhaps it really was for the best. They are uniformly awful, and some of the explanations (like for Shepherd Book) are laughably dull and obvious.

Quote from: radiator on 13 August, 2019, 09:06:43 PMDitto Spaced - I always felt gutted that they never made a third series, but maybe its best to leave it as it was?
Spaced felt like it ended well. And there's always that extra bit at the end of the extended DVD set!

Has anyone mentioned Angel yet? That should have finished when the TV show did. The comic continuation was eye-poppingly bad.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 August, 2019, 10:06:03 PM
However, if the comics really do show some of the stuff Joss Whedon was planning, perhaps it really was for the best. They are uniformly awful, and some of the explanations (like for Shepherd Book) are laughably dull and obvious.

Oh gawd so true.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 August, 2019, 10:06:03 PM
I wouldn't want Firefly CSI, but that could easily have done two or three seasons. Instead, we get the first half of season 1, and the finale of season 2 as a movie. However, if the comics really do show some of the stuff Joss Whedon was planning, perhaps it really was for the best. They are uniformly awful, and some of the explanations (like for Shepherd Book) are laughably dull and obvious.

I'm going to stand up for the new Pak/McDaid run from BOOM because (although, yes, I work on it) it rewinds to the gap between the series and the movie and is terrific fun. I believe it has sign-off from Whedon (FWIW) and captures a lot of what I loved about the series. There's a running gag/pay-off in #8 that's basically perfect.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

Nemesis Book IV

Lose Nemesis Bks V and VI?! You appear to have gone completely insane and should report to Mel-Quake forthwith.

radiator

QuoteSpaced felt like it ended well. And there's always that extra bit at the end of the extended DVD set!

It doesn't end on a cliffhanger or anything, but nor does it feel like it has a proper ending ending either, and there was definitely plenty of scope for a third season. I believe they always wanted/intended to do one, and were talking about it even as recently as a few years ago, but eventually the iron went cold. I definitely wouldn't want them to bring it back now.

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 14 August, 2019, 10:41:04 PM
Nemesis Book IV

Lose Nemesis Bks V and VI?!

I could live without them. Apart from the Freck Heresy and some truly glorious HIcklenton art I don't think the series had much that grabbed me after Gothic Empire: and certainly nothing that scaled the heights of Bks I-III. Thoth, Purity, the Time Wastes, time travel, Satanus and the Warriors... nah, diminishing returns.

Richard

Heresy! Nemesis V and VI were brilliant. The best books in the series!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 August, 2019, 10:27:03 PMI'm going to stand up for the new Pak/McDaid run from BOOM
Ah. Not read those – just the ones mostly by 'other Whedon'. It feels like 'main Whedon' should have done as he did with Buffy and at least plotted from the end of S01 through to Serenity. That could have been great. Instead, what we got was all over the place in tone, and with some dire resolutions. I'll perhaps check out the Boom stuff.

sheridan

Quote from: Greg M. on 14 August, 2019, 10:41:04 PM
Nemesis Book IV

Lose Nemesis Bks V and VI?! You appear to have gone completely insane and should report to Mel-Quake forthwith.

QFT