Main Menu

DC comics

Started by Smith, 20 April, 2017, 07:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Flash #22 Yeah,its all just a setup for Doomsday Clock.Now Im thinking I will have to read it,just to see wtf is the deal here.
Wildstorm #4 Ben Santini is here.That was kinda expected.[spoiler]Henry Bendix is an alien.Or just a crazier version of Walter Bishop.Or both.[/spoiler]
Who's next-TAO,Kaizen,Helspont?It would be interesting to see what Ellis does with them.
Now I expect somebody to rush in and provide a play-by-play of the first Authority arc.Any minute now...

Apestrife

While I have a soft spot for four of the Before Watchmen books (Cook and Azzarello's), I somewhat wish it was done the way Morrison did in Multiversity, sticking to the Charlton comics characters. Would'v been more fun that way.

Regardless. I'm not to bothered with the smiley face story. Johns not my favorite writer. But I hope he has something fun in store, as a reason, for the inclusion.

That said. For the moment I'm enjoying DKIII The Master Race as well as The Wildstorm. Especially DKIII. Not that bothered by the slow release pace. Been using it as a good excuse to re read Year one, Last crusade, DKR, DKSA and each issue of DKMR :)

While DKIII will end next month, and The Wildstorm soon taking a break, Tom King's Mister Miracle is just around the corner. Very much looking forward to that one. Big Barda <3

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/05/12/dc-entertainment-announces-mister-miracle

Greg M.

Quote from: Apestrife on 21 May, 2017, 08:56:26 AM
Tom King's Mister Miracle is just around the corner.

I must admit, I read a few issues of Tom King's critically-acclaimed Vision series for Marvel and it didn't grab me - nothing wrong with it, but I wasn't seeing why it was so lauded. That said, Mister Miracle is one of those select DC characters I have a fondness for - probably because of the Giffen / DeMatteis Justice League comics and the character's late 80s solo title - so I'll probably check this out.

Apestrife

Quote from: Greg M. on 21 May, 2017, 09:05:30 AM

I must admit, I read a few issues of Tom King's critically-acclaimed Vision series for Marvel and it didn't grab me - nothing wrong with it, but I wasn't seeing why it was so lauded. That said, Mister Miracle is one of those select DC characters I have a fondness for - probably because of the Giffen / DeMatteis Justice League comics and the character's late 80s solo title - so I'll probably check this out.

I foremost enjoy Kirby's Mr Miracle. Morrison's was fine, but a bit hard to know what was going on at times (which probably was Morrison's goal with the character's inclusion in 7 soldiers).

I'v yet to read King's Vision. Will check that one out. I really like his Sheriff of Babylon.

I'v not read much of his Batman, but it seems as if it dares to have much more fun than his Omega men (Which I still quite like). I have a feeling he has a really good Mr Miracle and Big Barda story in him :)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 21 May, 2017, 09:05:30 AM

Yeah I'm a BIG fan of Kirby's DC work and while I'm yet to read The Vision (I will get to it) I've heard enough good things to mean I'll check this out. It'll be my first mainstream DC title for a couple of years, aside from trying a couple of the ReBirth titles very briefly... which chills me to the bones!

positronic

Who's reading Mike Allred's Bug: The Adventures of Forager? It's a little love letter to Kirby's DC pantheon, along with whatever other DC universe obscura interests Mike. Dropped the Sandman, Brute and Glob right into the first issue. I love that it's a complete creative vision by Allred, too. He's taken one of the least-developed of Kirby's heroes and is exploring who he is, as Forager himself is on some kind of journey to find an identity for himself. Great stuff! Can't wait to see where he goes with it. Hints of Kirby's Atlas coming up.

I'm less than excited about Mister Miracle. Love the character, but the tone is just all wrong for me. Didn't care for Morrison's revamp of the New Gods characters either. Oh well. I think the last version of NG that did anything for me was Walt Simonson's, followed by John Byrne's.

Pop Culture Bandit

Just dipped my toe into the DC waters with the first volume of Supergirl - "Reign of the Cyborg Supermen". Capitalising on the status quo seen in the TV show, this series makes a pretty good go of reinventing the character for a new generation. It's nicely standalone too, not requiring too much knowledge of the DC continuity.

Supergirl: Vol. 1 - Reign of the Cyborg Supermen:
http://popculturebandit.com/2017/05/24/supergirl-vol-1-reign-of-the-cyborg-supermen/

positronic

Seemingly inspired by the recent BUG and MR. MIRACLE miniseries, August seems to be "Jack Kirby Month" at DC Comics, celebrated by five weekly one-shot specials every week in August:

NEW GODS SPECIAL #1 by Shane Davis & Walt Simonson (w) and Shane Davis & various (a).
NEWSBOY LEGION & BOY COMMANDOS SPECIAL #1 by Howard Chaykin (w/a).
SANDMAN SPECIAL #1 by Dan Jurgens & Steve Orlando (w) and Jon Bogdanove & Rick Leonardi (a).
MANHUNTER SPECIAL #1 by Keith Giffen & various (w) and Nick Bradshaw & Klaus Janson (a).
DARKSEID SPECIAL #1 by Mark Evanier & Sam Humphries (w) and Skott Kolins & Steve Rude (a).
BLACK RACER & SHILO NORMAN SPECIAL #1 by Reginald Hudlin (w) and Denys Cowan & Bill Sienkiewicz (a).

Also solicited for a September 20 release is JACK KIRBY'S MISTER MIRACLE TP ($29.99 American) - Reprinting MISTER MIRACLE #1-18; and advance-solicited for December 6th release in the oversized ($150 American) JACK KIRBY'S FOURTH WORLD OMNIBUS HC - Reprinting SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #133-139 and 141-148, NEW GODS #1-11, FOREVER PEOPLE #1-11, DC GRAPHIC NOVEL #4: THE HUNGER DOGS and a story from NEW GODS #6 (1984). My only question would be why wasn't the complete MISTER MIRACLE collection released in an oversize HC omnibus format as well?

I forget now whether the dimensions of DC's oversize omnibus HC editions are the same as Marvel's, but I have several Jack Kirby Marvel Omnibus HC editions that would like a shelf companion from the DC side of the Kirby family.

positronic

Also noteworthy for LSH fans, they're at least continuing to reprint Legion stories in trade paperback.

LEGION BY DAN ABNETT & ANDY LANNING TP VOL 01 ($24.99 American; ships Sept. 20, 2017) collects LEGIONNAIRES #78-81, LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #122-125 and LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES SECRET FILES #2.

Whether we'll get a solicitation for a Volume 2 TP sequel to April's LEGIONNAIRES VOL 01 TP filling in the gap between issue #24 of Legionnaires and #78 (the start of Abnett & Lanning's run) is anyone's guess.

Colin YNWA

The Kirby stuff is to mark the centenary of his birth I think. I have all the Fourth World omnibus (plural?) In there original 4 volume format. They are simply some of the best comics ever.

Smith

Omnibii is the plural.
#Yourwelcome

positronic

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 May, 2017, 08:12:02 AM
The Kirby stuff is to mark the centenary of his birth I think. I have all the Fourth World omnibus (plural?) In there original 4 volume format. They are simply some of the best comics ever.

While those earlier Fourth World hardcover collections might fit the dictionary definition of an omnibus, I was thinking of it more in terms of how comic book publishers like Marvel and DC define the word, as an oversized (and some would say, overpriced) format hardcover of some 500-1000 pages... more deluxe-y than your average hardcover reprint collection. If you've seen previously-released Marvel or DC hardcover omnibus editions, you know what I mean.

Personally, I passed on those earlier Kirby HC collections because I didn't like the conceptual interleaving of various issues from different series according to their chronological release dates. I certainly hope that they've abandoned that idea for this new omnibus collection, and that the stories will appear in order by series and issue number in this new collection.

JamesC

I have the Fourth World books (1,3 and 4 in hardcover but 2 in softcover as it had a short print run for some reason) and think that the print order works really well.
It's horses for courses but it seems that this is how it was originally intended to be read on a monthly basis.

Still no word on a re-print of the 2001 stuff. A real shame as my treasury edition is getting quite yellow and brittle.

sheridan

Quote from: Smith on 26 May, 2017, 08:22:44 AM
Omnibii is the plural.
#Yourwelcome

Sorry, despite the Latin root, it's omnibuses (and the proscribed version would be omnibi, not omnibii).

#yourwelcometoo

positronic

Quote from: JamesC on 26 May, 2017, 02:55:44 PM
Still no word on a re-print of the 2001 stuff. A real shame as my treasury edition is getting quite yellow and brittle.

It's good stuff, but really tricky due to having to get permissions from both the Arthur C. Clarke estate (for the adaptation) and Warner. The fact that the latter now own copyright to the Kubrick film might make it even more likely that DC could reprint it before Marvel.

Marvel didn't even include reprints of the "Mister Machine" stories from the 2001: A Space Odyssey series in the MACHINE MAN trade collection, which even then would have required some lettering and title font alterations to match the later material.