Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

A guy in the office (nominally the 'boss' but not really), against everyone else's wishes (i suggested that people would rather the money be spent on booze but it fell on deaf ears), installed a music system (which he did while i was away so couldn't object) and insists that there be music played all day every day. Of course, the problem with this is that everyone has very different music tastes and tend to listen to their headphones anyway.
We have tried making communal playlists but they don't work (even an epic playlist gets repetitive day in day out) and anything a bit out there gets on people's nerves, so we end up with the most bland, inoffensive type of music, which of course IS offensive to anyone with taste.

If i hear that wretched 'Hey Soul Sister' song, or ANYTHING by Jack Johnson one more time i will not be held responsible for my actions.

ZenArcade

Yep the shit you talk about is just radio friendly unit shifting/corporate endorsed wank. There is no imaginatio, variency nor bravery in this faecal nonsense. Music used to enliven the heart and inform the imagination. Now it is just safe. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Hawkmumbler

Try working in B&Q, we play shite that hasn't been played on any backwoods tape mix since the mid 90's at least.

JamesC

We have a similar musical problem at my workplace. One of the older members of staff discovered Spotify and decreed that it should be on at all times.
We almost always settle for the generic 'most popular on Spotify' playlist and anything slightly out of the comfort zone gets quickly switched over. I was quite enjoying the 'Reggae Breakfast' playlist the other day but it lasted about 15mins (I'm not even a reggae fan but it was nice to have something a bit different).
To be honest I'd rather have peace and quiet.

Banners

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 10 March, 2015, 05:33:12 PM
2 chevrons people! 2 chevrons!

Is it that frickin' hard?

Indeed it is – this always confuses me. Specifically, does it mean...

a) leave the distance between two chevrons between you and the car in front

b) make sure you can see two chevrons between you and the car in front

...ie. do the two chevrons concerned include the chevron you're on?

TordelBack

I always said Banners should be drawing Nemesis.

Hawkmumbler

The Enigmatic Dr X

Yes but which chevron layout is it?
Lock up your spoons!

JamesC

Mattofthespurs

B

You should be able to see 2 chevrons.

Banners

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 11 March, 2015, 07:57:16 AM
B

But if the cars in example b) move forward a little, then the following car can see three chevrons.

Rog69

My car has radar all round and detects how close you are to other vehicles and will flash up a warning light if I get too close to the car in front, at 70 on the motorway it seems to work on a gap eqivalent to 2 chevrons like the one in Banner's example A.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Banners on 11 March, 2015, 09:13:48 AM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 11 March, 2015, 07:57:16 AM
B

But if the cars in example b) move forward a little, then the following car can see three chevrons.

2 chevrons is the recommended minimum.

Colin Zeal

I'd go with option A but it's something that has puzzled me in the past as well.

Mattofthespurs

I can't tell if people are being sarcastic or not anymore.

I wouldn't mind, but I don't drive.

Perhaps those pesky 'Highway Code' books are confusing me.

And with all those signs making it patently clear as well.

Dammit if I'm not confused too  :crazy:

2 chevrons between each car, as a minimum,  is hard to understand.