Main Menu

Discovered / rediscovered music thread

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 April, 2009, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

I, Cosh

Quote from: wonkychop on 07 February, 2012, 09:05:11 PM
One track suited for Mega City One would be "Full Metal Jackoff" by Jello Biafra and D.O.A. .
It's a great record but I really don't see the connection.
We never really die.

Gonk

It's the mood of it Cosh and the scale of it that puts me in mind of a futuristic dystopia. It kind of describes a "Judge Dredd style" of policing/police state... i.e. nightmare state. There is also a reference to Willy Horton which Clint Eastwood turned into the famous "make my day punk" scene in Dirty Harry. All a bit similar in style to Dredd. But no, I don't think of it as a theme tune to a film, no sir!
coming at a cinema near you soon

Mudcrab

Quote from: wonkychop on 08 February, 2012, 11:15:24 AM
It's the mood of it Cosh and the scale of it that puts me in mind of a futuristic dystopia. It kind of describes a "Judge Dredd style" of policing/police state... i.e. nightmare state. There is also a reference to Willy Horton which Clint Eastwood turned into the famous "make my day punk" scene in Dirty Harry. All a bit similar in style to Dredd. But no, I don't think of it as a theme tune to a film, no sir!

"You see a black juve, you see an umpty-head, you see Willy Horton with a boot knife"  :D

Funny you should mention them, D.O.A are over for a punk festival later this year and are actually playing at my "local" pub in Aberdeen!  :o Woohoo!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Gonk

"whole neighbourhoods are going psycho, block warfare like never before. Better lock your doors, buy some guns and pray for martial law!"

Sounds like you've got a good evening coming up Mudcrab!

Giving this a blast.

staticgirl

Willy Horton was mentioned in 'Television the Drug of the Nation' by the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy if I remember rightly...

Quote"Willy Horton or Will he not get elected on...
television the drug of the nation..."

I have no idea why that lyrics stands out so much in my memory. I did think it was clever especially when I had found out who Willy Horton was.

Still, Michael Franti can come for tea and cake round my house any day.

Gonk

O Lucky Stevie!

So why oh why are English-speaking cultures so unable to share such an enlightened perspective of the ninth art as our Continental cousins?

Serge Gainsbourg & Brigitte Bardot - Comic Strip

For the monolingual amongst us: (audio only)

Behind the scenes
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Mudcrab

Quite right, here's the latest from Sweden's finest...

http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/02/09/new-meshuggah-track-now-listen/

Bit of an inauspicious track for them, but entirely them, if you see what I mean.

Glasgow in April, been waiting a while to see this lot, another woohoo!  :D
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Gonk

Mudcrab

Quote from: wonkychop on 10 February, 2012, 02:40:53 PM

Maybe their best album...?

Maybe...

I can't decide, my favourite would be a compilation from the first 6 albums and would possibly suggest Master of Reality is another contender.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Gonk

Yeah. I think maybe Vol4 just edges past Master in terms of heaviness.

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: wonkychop on 27 January, 2012, 12:03:47 PM
Well if you like that sort of thing :D I was trying to imply that the Heavy Metal genre as a whole was camp. There is only so much I can take of long haired blokes thrusting their genitals at other long haired blokes in an audience before I think, camp trash. Robert Plant is a prime example of this sort of campness. How it ever got to be associated with being macho I do not know. Bands like that deserved to be laughed at. :lol:

Wonkychop, I thought you believed 70s long haired HM as a genre deserved mockery. Above is a quote from you from the DROKK thread:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,35219.15.html

What's the game here? No offence intended, I quoted just to save explanations.

Greg M.

Yes, I was wondering that as well. (As for the 'best Sabs album' debate - 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' reigns supreme as their masterpiece, methinks. It's not the one I listen to most often - that's 'Born Again', believe it or not - but 'SBS' is a pinnacle of perfection.)