Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rog69

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Quote from: The Cosh on 29 November, 2010, 10:14:44 AM
Quote from: Gavin_Leahy on 29 November, 2010, 01:57:25 AM
Looks like it's true, I never realised he was that old, he always looked younger to me. He made me laugh more then anyone else during my childhood, he will be sadly missed.
Not a criticism or anything, but I'm surprised that people are surprised about his age. His first big role was in Forbidden Planet and that's nearly sixty years old.

I also find it hard to believe Forbidden Planet is nearly sixty years old. The other thing is that, for me he will be all ways nearly entirely associated with his comedic roles and I tend to forget about his earlier more serious roles.  

locustsofdeath!

Something Fishy

Dear me, what a day. RIP.

TordelBack

Quote from: Rog69 on 29 November, 2010, 01:34:51 PM
Irvin kershner - The director of the Empire Strikes back.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iOIofoyzOkgDBBZ4-VhX6Skft5SA?docId=CNG.a95bb30ea4283751b06342aa399dde9a.5f1

Ah hey, that's shite news.  I've often thought that if it wasn't for Kershner Star Wars would be a late 70's oddity that was of its time but no more - it was the superiority of his Empire that gave everyone the idea that Star Wars had masses of unrealised potential beyond its origins  (and still does - Empire is the point on the curve  that all other SW approaches, but can never reach). 

Keef Monkey

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 November, 2010, 05:36:31 PM
Quote from: Rog69 on 29 November, 2010, 01:34:51 PM
Irvin kershner - The director of the Empire Strikes back.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iOIofoyzOkgDBBZ4-VhX6Skft5SA?docId=CNG.a95bb30ea4283751b06342aa399dde9a.5f1

Ah hey, that's shite news.  I've often thought that if it wasn't for Kershner Star Wars would be a late 70's oddity that was of its time but no more - it was the superiority of his Empire that gave everyone the idea that Star Wars had masses of unrealised potential beyond its origins  (and still does - Empire is the point on the curve  that all other SW approaches, but can never reach).  

Absolutely, I often rather shamefully forget the fact that Lucas didn't do much of the directing after A New Hope, and then when I'm reminded it makes more sense that everything he's done himself has fallen a bit short.

edit: Just saw the Neilson post too, pretty sad day. Reckon I'll pop on some Naked Gun tonight.

Daveycandlish

So what do I watch tonight and raise a toast to the screen?

Airplane! or Empire Strikes Back?

It's a sad day  :'(
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

uncle fester

Dunk!

United Planets Cruiser C-57D sails on captainless. :(
"Trust we"

Jared Katooie

Just heard about Leslie Nielsen. Sad, sad news.

Airplane and the Naked Gun series - some of the funniest films ever made.

Kerrin

I really hope someone has the forethought to bury him with a fart machine.

Devons Daddy

sad news of lesilie neilsen, but a good innings,
he shall live in with his quotes, likely the most quoted actor next to the god father I&II not a bad legacy.

NICE BEAVER!
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Gavin_Leahy_Block

HdE

When I saw the news of Leslie Nielsen's death posted online, I actually did a double take. We hear of so many celebrity deaths that sometimes they fail to make much of an impression. But hearing that Leslie Nielsen has gone is a bit like hearing your grandfather has passed away.

I don't actually believe in the notion of an afterlife, but something about the idea of Leslie arriving at the pearly gates and saying ' ... I just want you to know, we're all counting on you' and then disappearing again really tickles me.

A great loss.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Kerrin

Leslie Nielsen Random Quote Generator.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/interactive/2010/nov/29/leslie-nielsen-random-quote-generator

Just click on the "Surely you can't be serious" button.