Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

If hoodies count as coats then I actually have 6 coats.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

Roger Godpleton

Misanthrope

Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

Noisybast

I've just spent a pleasant hour poking right-wingers with a stick on Facebook over their "righteous poppy outrage" posts.
Now to do something worthwhile with my day...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Old Tankie

Well, I'm wearing mine with pride, I must be a right-winger!!  Glad to see you're off to do something worthwhile with your day.

mogzilla

amil (fascist jihadist nutter in "muslims against crusade") choudray (sic?) was on the sunday morning show telling us how we are wearing poppies to murder muslims?!?!  a sane muslim woman came on later and dismissed him as a donkey ...i  liked her! :lol: i havent got mine yet!

mini got ers from school on friday ,a stick on no pricking your mates with a pin variety!

Noisybast

Quote from: Old Tankie on 06 November, 2011, 05:32:46 PM
Well, I'm wearing mine with pride, I must be a right-winger!!  Glad to see you're off to do something worthwhile with your day.

Ah, fer grud's sake - not here as well!

For the record: I approve of poppies. I approve of remembering sacrifices made by servicemen. I approve of raising money to help injured servicemen. I bought a poppy and have it pinned to my coat.

However: I have yet to encounter anybody - Muslim or otherwise - who has objected to the above. Hysterical hearsay about some idiot 21 year old burning a poppy is not the same as 'all Muslims hate poppies'.

Rant over.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Old Tankie

"Ah, fer grud's sake - not here as well!"

What do you mean?  I didn't post in response to any story about some 21 year old burning a poppy, I don't know anything about that.  I posted in response to you seeming to infer that anyone wearing a poppy is right-wing.  I was attempting sarcasm, obviously, not very successfully!

I never said that I had met a Muslim or otherwise who had objected to me wearing my poppy, because I haven't, which is why I am confused by your reply.  Still, glad to see in the end that we seem to share the same views.

TordelBack

A friend's mother was telling me about how a local (here in south Dublin) proddy Scout Troop was refusing to take part in a Rememberance Day service, because it was 'paramilitary and pro-war' (the various proddy youth groups (Scouts, Guides, Cubs, Boy's Brigade, all that lot) show up at church in their uniforms and carry their own flag, if they have one). 

Now poppy-wearing is a minority occupation here in Saor Stat Eireann, and I don't think I've worn one since I was a proddy Scout myself (yes, we have proddy scouts and taig scouts here, or more properly Scout Association of Ireland Scouts (who purport to be secular) and Catholic Boy Scouts of Ireland (who don't) --very deep sigh--), but I was pretty taken aback at the reasons offered there. 

If kids (and presumably their deluded leaders) think Rememberance Day is a pro-war event, then I think far more needs to be made of it.     

Mikey

But, but...Scouts are paramilitary aren't they? ;)

I understand that some arsewipe burning a Poppy, or taking it as a political statement (not you noisy or tankie!) might be new to some people. It's not new in glorious NI unfortunately.

My personal opinion is that if someone reckons it's big and hard to burn a symbol of rememberance, put them in the army or something. They'll soon fuckin remember then!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Roger Godpleton

Can we go back to talking about coats now?