Main Menu

Carlos Ezquerra's 2000ad & Judge Dredd colouring book

Started by rogue69, 10 September, 2017, 01:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Carlos Ezquerra posted on Facebook that he has a  judge Dredd colouring book coming out soon with 50 images from some of his commission work. this does not seem to be a official 2000ad book as it looks like it has the Millsverse logo on the cover

https://www.facebook.com/carlos.ezquerra.1?hc_ref=ARQD2BCZ8BKFM34bh4ZVpEN7QvDVKsgF5usHQ58wtl0kVTtBofOHvC5PlAV_tSssk2c

Frank

Quote from: rogue69 on 10 September, 2017, 01:28:29 AM
...  it looks like it has the Millsverse logo on the cover

And so it begins.*

Genius move branding it a colouring book rather than a portfolio. I bet they have an unusually high proportion of orders for two books going to the same address - one for scribbling, one for nice.

* Mills's recent Facebook chat revealed he was keen to test whether the model established by his prose ventures in self publishing could be adapted for sequential work. This seems like a way of establishing the logistics and costs for future ventures. A Millsverse Accident Man movie tie-in comic by Carlos would be fantastic.

Steve Green

Yeah, Carlos messaged us about it since he was using a couple of our commissions - best of luck to him making some Euros off the hard work he's put in.

Pete Wells

Steve Green

Much like Boo's problems with using the likeness of Olivia Thirlby, I imagine there are similar licensing hurdles with Greggs.

IndigoPrime

Nice, but he could really do with someone to proof the text (color and colour mix-and-match a go go) and a designer.

IndigoPrime

Actually, looking at what's there now doesn't fill me full of any hope. If you can't spell 'colouring' properly (is it colouring, coloring, or – most bizarrely – couloring?) in a colouring book, you need to hire someone to proof the thing. Also, What's With Using Caps On Every Word, Like Some Mad Person On The Internet? And that gradient background... oof.

And I love Carlos's art, too.

Frank

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 September, 2017, 06:00:27 PM
If you can't spell 'colouring' properly ... in a colouring book ...

The spelling is certainly the most important aspect of a colouring book.*

* This sloppy back cover blurb may stop the target audience of a few hundred devoted fans - who have worshipped Ezquerra as a cross between Santa and Lee Marvin since they were six - from buying and enjoying this novelty item. Which they will definitely buy. And enjoy.

IndigoPrime

Oh, give over. When you're paying for a product, you should at least be able to expect a little professionalism. Just pass the thing by someone who can proof it. Or just leave it looking like an amateurish thing knocked up in five minutes that really will restrict it to a tiny hardcore. Or people who like 'creative' spelling. Here's hoping Pat's book doesn't have similar issues.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 September, 2017, 07:05:07 PM
Oh, give over. When you're paying for a product, you should at least be able to expect a little professionalism. Just pass the thing by someone who can proof it. Or just leave it looking like an amateurish thing knocked up in five minutes that really will restrict it to a tiny hardcore. Or people who like 'creative' spelling. Here's hoping Pat's book doesn't have similar issues.

Also, if you actually do intend to colour the thing, you need to know that the product has been produced by someone who knows what they're doing.

Unless the paper stock has been chosen with great care, taking any kind of marker pen (never mind something alcohol-based, like the Copic range) to the pages will see your lovely colours spread like blotting paper on the page, and bleed straight through onto the pages beneath.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

When you're paying for a product, you should at least be able to expect a little professionalism ... looking like an amateurish thing knocked up in five minutes (will) restrict it to a tiny hardcore

It's a novelty item for a niche audience.

As far as I know, this is something Carlos knocked up in his shed, which is part of its appeal. If mine has a cigarillo burn on the cover, I'll be cock-a-hoop.*

* As cock-a-hoop as when I noticed the unprepossessing folded A5 'sketch book' Cam Kennedy produced had been sent from his house on Orkney. I mean, Cam Kennedy - THE Cam Kennedy - might have taken it to the post office by himself. He might have licked the stamp. I've still got the envelope.

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

IndigoPrime

Being a fan does not mean you must offer unbridled enthusiasm for everything we see, no matter the condition. As Jim noted, without the right paper, this book won't even be fit for purpose.

I like Ezquerra. I like the idea of this book. That it's niche makes no odds to me if its creator can't even be bothered to use a spellchecker.

Frank

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 September, 2017, 07:55:43 AM
Quote from: Frank on 10 September, 2017, 08:06:33 PM
... looking like an amateurish thing knocked up in five minutes (will) restrict it to a tiny hardcore

It's a novelty item for a niche audience.

That it's niche makes no odds to me

Your concern appeared to be that poor spelling would affect sales. I don't think that will stop fans buying something directly from their hero, but I have no evidence to support that opinion.

IndigoPrime

I suppose it depends on what you're trying to achieve. I've no doubt that many of the absolute hard core won't care. And if all you're appealing to are people who'll buy anything, regardless of it being littered with errors, looking amateurish, and possibly – as Jim notes – not being fit for purpose, bully for them. But it would have literally taken someone ten minutes to proof that cover, and I imagine a ton of designers would have happily helped make the entire thing look superb.

The fans argument also baffles me, given the niche concern that a lot of comics falls into anyway. No-one would be happy with a replica badge saying "DREED", or a fanzine that randomly spelled words in different ways. But pointing this kind of thing out for this particular project is somehow off limits.

Well, unless you're just being a wind-up merchant, obviously.