Main Menu

Dredd Epics Ranked - BETTER!!! 12th to 5th Place Play-off

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 April, 2021, 06:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So here we go folks the very last of these to decide the topper-most Judge Dredd epics outside the big 4 (which aren't actually the big four but I won't return to my whining... at this point at least). There are some truly stunning stories here, all classics in their own way BUT which are the best DREDD and EPICS. Well that's for you to determine...

Look at the list of 8 Dredd stories below and tell me your top three:

1 (your favourite) will get 3 points
2 (your 2nd fav) will get 2 points
3 (your 3rd fav) will get 1 point

(1)  America Megs (Vol. 1) 1-7

(2)  The Dead Man Progs 650-662

(3) Origins - Progs 1500-1504; 1505-1519; 1529-1535

(5) Day of Chaos Progs 1743-1789

(6) Terror / Total War Progs 1392-1399, 1407-1422

(10) The Day the Law Died - Judge Cal - Progs 86 - 108

(15) The Pit - Progs 970 - 999

(16) Oz - Progs 545-570

I'll give this one the full 4 days to run its course and hope to close voting first thing Friday 16th April . One note, I'm going away today for a week(ish) and we are meant to have wifi BUT if I go off line we might have a delay... fingers crossed we'll be fine

All links go through to AlexF's simply brilliant Dredd Epics Ranked blog. You may need to scroll to find his write up of a particular story - but I'd suggest just reading the whole thing anyway - it's fantastic stuff.

Baffled by what's going on here - well we have a a thread for that - though that might leave you more confused than anything.

Rules for what they are worth.

Not sure about anything just ask and I'll blag it.

TordelBack

1. America. Its precise status may be debated, but it's definitely the best Dredd story to only be partially reprinted in the Casefiles, beating out The Dead Man for that dubious honour. 
2. Day of Chaos. Such an experience to read week to week, and what an ending. If it didn't exist I'd put Total War in this slot, which it now comprehensively overshadows.
3. The Pit. A whole new kind of Dredd strip, and a whole new city of characters.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Barrington Boots

Shockingly difficult to choose at this stage but I have gone for:

1. America - yes, I agree it's not an epic, but it's still monumental.
2. The Pit - redefined Dredd in many ways, huge impact on bringing me back to the Prog
3. Day of Chaos - completely harrowing read with a devastating ending. If Dredd were to end it should have been here.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Enigmatic Dr X

1 America
2 The Pit
3 Oz

PS I think DoC is excellent, but I don't like the way it dismissed the Dark Judges. I'd have preferred another Necropolis to add to the ... chaos.
Lock up your spoons!

Southstreeter

BPP

1 - Oz - long neglected in Dredd assessments it's showing here is heartening. The iconic Janus-faced Dredd epic and a rare win for a nemesis who also loses at the same time. And then there is the art - McCarthy, Dillon, Simpson, baikie, kitson... the second wave of Dredd artists really showing their stripes and a use of colour far better than was to come in the following painted-era. Oz is a Joy.

2 - Day of Chaos - piling misery upon misery, defeat upon defeat, utterly compelling every week. A wagner masterclass.

3 -origins - walkers prelude, carlo's epic swan song, wagner deciding to pump new myths into the judges story. People complain that writers haven't picked up from the day of chaos properly but nobody has really gone to explore the 'it was never meant to be permanent' message of origins.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Dr Feeley Good

1 ~ The Day The Law Died
2 ~ Day Of Chaos
3 ~ The Dead Man

Funt Solo

1st City of the ... oh, it's been missed out by accident ...

1st Day of Chaos
2nd Oz
3rd Terror / Total War
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Bolt-01

Rogue Judge

1. Origins
2. America
3. Dead Man

Are America and Dead Man epics? Are they Dredd stories? I don't know anymore...but I love these stories!

Tomwe