Main Menu

Dredd Epics Ranked - BETTER!!! 12th to 5th Place Play-off

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 April, 2021, 06:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

For me the biggest surprise is America. The things counting against America is it really an epic and is it a Dredd story. Personally America is one of my favourite comic strips out of world of AD
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 16 April, 2021, 08:18:28 AM
For me the biggest surprise is America. The things counting against America is it really an epic and is it a Dredd story. Personally America is one of my favourite comic strips out of world of AD

Yeah it is a wonderful story and possibly my favourite Dredd tale ever... possibly... I actually ranked it above Day of Chaos when I did my own rankings at the start of all this BUT when it stirred me in the face - a straight choice between DoC and America in a vote for the best EPIC I just found I couldn't shake the world Epic out the equation. Now if it had been favourite Dredd story entirely different answer...

TordelBack

America is arguably the best Dredd story of them all,  and the fact that it still manages to score.No. 6 on a list of Epics (which it  definitely isn't) is testament to that. Balance is restored, although next time round I want Sunday Night Fever, Graveyard Shift and (why not) Bury My Knee included in the pool, just to see how high they can get as Non-epics in an Epics smackdown.

abelardsnazz

Pleased to see Oz climbing the rankings but disappointed for The Dead Man.

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 April, 2021, 08:27:30 AM
America is arguably the best Dredd story of them all,  and the fact that it still manages to score.No. 6 on a list of Epics (which it  definitely isn't) is testament to that. Balance is restored, although next time round I want Sunday Night Fever, Graveyard Shift and (why not) Bury My Knee included in the pool, just to see how high they can get as Non-epics in an Epics smackdown.

This brings me on to the next questions - how are the remaining Dredd stories broken down into categories? How is a medium-length story such as Graveyard Shift or Destiny's Angels defined?
There are clearly loads of one-offs, but should recurring characters (PJ Maybe, Oola Blint, Slick Dickens) have their own category?

credo

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 16 April, 2021, 09:07:44 AM
should recurring characters (PJ Maybe, Oola Blint, Slick Dickens) have their own category?

Has there been a 'best Dreddverse non-Dredd characters' tourney yet?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: credo on 16 April, 2021, 09:41:43 AM
should recurring characters (PJ Maybe, Oola Blint, Slick Dickens) have their own category?

Has there been a 'best Dreddverse non-Dredd characters' tourney yet?

There was a best Characters tourney right at the start of all this which included a selection of Dreddverse characters. You can see how they did in the spreadsheet below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A1UTrGivpwMSX53dPQchStXiidOA8m5HBEWo3hjJvn8/edit?usp=drivesdk

Colin YNWA

This brings me on to the next questions - how are the remaining Dredd stories broken down into categories? How is a medium-length story such as Graveyard Shift or Destiny's Angels defined?
There are clearly loads of one-offs, but should recurring characters (PJ Maybe, Oola Blint, Slick Dickens) have their own category?

Broodblik did a great job of this a while ago as I recall in a different style vote - as I recall and I'm to lazy to check - he had Epic / long (over 12ish... or was it 8?); mid-length say 3-7 or 4 -10 as I recall. I'm tempted to do something with that but have the next two I'd like to do already in my head... and then the big one... the scary big one I think...

broodblik

From the thread https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=47406.15:

My mumblings:

This is how I see it:

1 part story one shot
2 to 4 part story multi-part
5 to 6 parts mini-series
7 to 11 parts maxi-series
12 to 20 parts epic
Above 21 parts mega-epic

Well you do get the epics and mega-epics that rather consist out of multiple-parts rather than one big continuous storyline.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.