Main Menu

JUDGE DREDD GOES INTO PRODUCTION FALL 2010

Started by Cyber-Matt, 13 May, 2010, 12:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

Cripes, my heart is actually racing with anticipation!

uncle fester

I've got my coat on ready for the pub and yet I'm sitting here waiting for "the post"....

Bolt-01

SmallBlueThing

I've got a casserole that's going to be ruined if they don't get their fingers out...

SBT

davethomson

Maybe if we hit F5 harder it will speed up the process (or blow up the servers).

It's worth a shot!

*hammers F5*
Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I'm assuming ye've seen this then. Apparently it's official:

You may quote me on that.

Emp

Looks good.

The small shoulder pad is reminds me of the very early Dredd...don,t see an eagle though...must be the angle.

The uniform looks more functional than that previous Hollywood debacle.

Think my only problem is the helmet,don't get me wrong i think it looks great and accurate. Just have this feeling that if he turned his head he'd be looking at the interior lining.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 18 November, 2010, 01:20:32 PM
You are wrong about Conan's physical attributes not being important. To REH they were incredibly important so that he described them over and over in detail.

Important or not, get too hung up on the physical characteristics of any character and you'll probably end up never making a decent movie. If you insist on a dead ringer for the character you're limiting your options massively because you also need that dead ringer to:

1) Be able to act well.
2) Come across well as that character in every other important way besides just physical appearance (being a good actor rarely if ever means you can play any character convincingly.)
3) Want to play the part.
4) Be available to play the part.
5) Be affordable within the movie's budget

...Just to mention the most obvious requirements. For many movies filling these requirements is hard enough. Wait for an exact physical match as well and you could be waiting until hell freezes over.

Ian Fleming also described Bond in exacting detail and being reasonably competent at drawing himself, even drew his own sketch of what he thought the character should look like... Despite looking nothing like that image, Daniel Craig still owned it and made two great Bond movies to date. Nobody who writes these two movies off because of his appearance is doing themselves any favours. They're just missing out. But hey, if that's really what they want... if they'd actually rather miss out than enjoy some good movies, who am I to argue?

Having said that, Momoa may suck as Conan - but if he does it'll be for more fundamental reasons than just not looking quite right.

Okay we've already been slagged off for not talking about Dredd so some people might be asking how is this relevant to Dredd? Well given the pic of the new uniform we've just seen, it's very relevant. Since we never see Dredd's face, arguably the uniform IS his appearance - and even without the face few characters have an appearance as distinctive as Dredd's. Like any comic book character he's physically described far more often than any character in prose - every single panel in which he appears is effectively a physical description of him. I just hope there are not too many people who will ruin their own enjoyment of the film by getting too hung up on what they think the character should look like.

Mark Taylor

You might want to ignore the above post where I accidentally quoted my previous post. Or a mod could delete it, perhaps.

Mike Carroll

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 20 November, 2010, 01:39:20 AM
You might want to ignore the above post where I accidentally quoted my previous post. Or a mod could delete it, perhaps.

Done!

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: pops1983 on 23 October, 2010, 10:14:32 PM
Quote from: Cyclopz on 23 October, 2010, 09:18:10 PM
If the shoulder pads on the uniform look like this:

I'd be satisfied

Dont like to blow my own trumpet but - My one eye I foresore it  

willthemightyW

Is it just me or is that helmet too big for him?
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

willthemightyW

The rest of it looks good though. And the helmet isn't that bad, but I think some people seeing this character for the first time may think the helmet looks silly. If it was smaller it would look a bit better. Rest looks good though.
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

wadew1

I had a chance to read the script and I'm even more excited about the film. Aside from one strange little thing at the end, Dredd acts just like the comic book Dredd. Like others have said, the script's biggest strength is that it  throws you right into the action. No boring origin story like all of those other comic movies.

I like the writer, producers and the casting, so my main concern is with the director.  I hope he's up to snuff. Since most of the film takes place in a high-rise, things could potentially get stale if there isn't a talented guy behind the camera.

dracula1

Yup! alot of pressure for Mr. Travis as director. If he can get Dredd and Anderson's characterization right and throw in some unique action sequences they'll have nailed it! :P