Main Menu

The Boys TV series - Karl Urban cast as Butcher

Started by Steve Green, 06 April, 2018, 09:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 23 July, 2019, 09:28:19 PM
It's class war disguised a Superhero's vs the norms.

I never thought of that. Bang on the button, though.  The Homelander : blond, rich, vain and self-obsessed, caring very little for the ordinary people he purports to be saving; a little bit like... ah, never mind.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 July, 2019, 10:09:42 PM

I never thought of that. Bang on the button, though.  The Homelander : blond, rich, vain and self-obsessed, caring very little for the ordinary people he purports to be saving; a little bit like... ah, never mind.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

broodblik

Watch the first episode and enjoyed quite a lot. So far so good  :thumbsup:
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

Dandontdare

Just watched the first ep, and fuck yeh!

Well adapted without losing anything essential - I think it was a good idea to show Hughie and Starlight's stories before Butcher is introduced, but my only gripe is where the fuck he's supposed to come from. He starts in South Africa, takes a whistlestop tour of the South East of England, with the occasional leap to the antipodes, and I'm  not quite sure where we've landed.
Best bit - [spoiler]Simon Pegg as Hughie's dad![/spoiler]

right - ep2 queued....

moly

Watched the 1st episode last night enjoyed it but Urbans accent is aweful actually said To my wife about his Aussie accent and she said he was cockney that's why they played London calling

BPP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 July, 2019, 06:54:37 PM
Fair enough. I haven't read this, and it was a flippant remark. I've actively avoided Ennis' work for many years because I find much of his humour puerile and his recurring anal rape motifs often veered alarmingly close to homophobia for me.

But if this plays as you say, then my snark was misplaced, and is withdrawn.

There is no doubt Ennis knows how to push buttons and doesn't shy from stories dealing with sexual violence but his Dear Billy 4 parter from War Stories is one of the most devastating and tender accounts of the harm sexual violence does to victims and their nearest.

His approach to sexual violence / sex / violence is very varied - it can be shocking and graphic background material that is either ridiculously framed (crossed) or sensitively done (a walk through hell) or played as pure comedy (a train called love) or as the pivot point of a serious comic (the last Russian winter, dear billy) but mostly it comes across intelligently in terms of his goals. I always through crossed was instructive - Ennis (and also Spurrier) seldom went for the 'look at this, now this, now this' shock potential of crossed but always for the 'human-survivor scrambling for dignity and sanity' while other authors (sadly including the great David Lapham) just went for GORE! RAPE! VIOLENCE!

It's been said more than few times that Garth's shlocky hits (the boys, crossed) where what allowed publishers to indulge him his historical war comics - a genre that's sadly clearly not commercially successful. That does sadly make a lot of sense.

As for The Boys series - watched 2 so far and its very enjoyable but neither butcher nor hugie remind me in anyway of their comic origins. Urban is just too small and his accent all over the shop (but he's good if you forget it's meant to be butcher). Likewise frenchie. Doesn't make it not enjoyable but does make it slightly odd, plus... where is Terror!
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Proudhuff

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 July, 2019, 10:09:42 PM

:thumbsup: :D
DDT did a job on me

dweezil2

Quote from: BPP on 27 July, 2019, 12:05:12 PM
Fair enough. I haven't read this, and it was a flippant remark. I've actively avoided Ennis' work for many years because I find much of his humour puerile and his recurring anal rape motifs often veered alarmingly close to homophobia for me.

There is no doubt Ennis knows how to push buttons and doesn't shy from stories dealing with sexual violence but his Dear Billy 4 parter from War Stories is one of the most devastating and tender accounts of the harm sexual violence does to victims and their nearest.

His approach to sexual violence / sex / violence is very varied - it can be shocking and graphic background material that is either ridiculously framed (crossed) or sensitively done (a walk through hell) or played as pure comedy (a train called love) or as the pivot point of a serious comic (the last Russian winter, dear billy) but mostly it comes across intelligently in terms of his goals. I always through crossed was instructive - Ennis (and also Spurrier) seldom went for the 'look at this, now this, now this' shock potential of crossed but always for the 'human-survivor scrambling for dignity and sanity' while other authors (sadly including the great David Lapham) just went for GORE! RAPE! VIOLENCE!

It's been said more than few times that Garth's shlocky hits (the boys, crossed) where what allowed publishers to indulge him his historical war comics - a genre that's sadly clearly not commercially successful. That does sadly make a lot of sense.

As for The Boys series - watched 2 so far and its very enjoyable but neither butcher nor hugie remind me in anyway of their comic origins. Urban is just too small and his accent all over the shop (but he's good if you forget it's meant to be butcher). Likewise frenchie. Doesn't make it not enjoyable but does make it slightly odd, plus... where is Terror!

Punisher: Born is one of the finest comics I have ever read.
When Ennis is on form he's almost untouchable.  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tiplodocus

Four episodes in and I am enjoying it. They manage to keep a lid on the misogyny and gratuitous sex, it's getting funnier but characters don't gel with the bits of The Boys I've read (first twenty issues about ten years ago I think).

But rereading first two issues (only ones still in the Tips house) and they are helluva talkie and a lot less fun than this show. So reckon they are doing ok.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Frank

BPP

Quote from: Frank on 31 July, 2019, 12:27:34 AM

Slipknot release sequel to Mull Of Kintyre: https://youtu.be/V3ADK6gsDGg

How weird.
And how weirdly polished that sounds. The U2 of whatevercore that is.

Finished The Boys - enjoyable but misses so much of the original spirit (hughie's innocence, butchers physicality and menace, the female, the heroes sheer venality) it's a strange beast. Lots to enjoy but the plot threads pulled at the end of the season are strange and somewhat self-defeating. An enjoyable but qualified success. 
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Rately

Quote from: dweezil2 on 27 July, 2019, 03:30:42 PM
Quote from: BPP on 27 July, 2019, 12:05:12 PM

Punisher: Born is one of the finest comics I have ever read.
When Ennis is on form he's almost untouchable.  :thumbsup:

Totally agree. His work on The Punisher is astounding, adding some weight to a Slasher-style character, and skillflly bounces him from comedy to violence and everything in between.

Often wonder if we will ever see Ennis turn his hand to Dredd again. Would be interesting to see how he would approach the character after all these years.

broodblik

Watched the last episode and I can recommend the show.  :thumbsup:
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Been binge-watching too and yep, it very much captures the spirit of the comic.  I do agree that our Karl's cockney accent is as jarringly bad as Joe Gilgun's Dublin one, but at least they haven't turned everyone into a septic.

I really don't mind that Hughie is American - I expected his dad to be Scottish, but never mind (but where did that '[spoiler]jings[/spoiler]' come from?).  I like that they've ditched the 90s leather goth coats too.  I had one and even Mr Midlife Crisis here wouldn't be seen dead in it now.  Also was surprised by [spoiler]Mallory's[/spoiler] reveal, but feck it, why not?

I'm wondering too if they'll ever [spoiler]call themselves The Boys and jack up some V[/spoiler].  But either way up, I'm happy.

All in all, so far, so good.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"