Main Menu

Top-ten Dredd artists.

Started by exilewood, 05 September, 2010, 10:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exilewood

I quite agree - Cam is one my very favourite Dredd artists ever.

But.

No McMahon = No Cam. End of story.

Same goes for Flint & Jock.

JayzusB.Christ

Quotehis Mega City One has always lived and breathed like no other artist before or since. Even if we only had Midnight Surfer and Sunday Night Fever, his contribution would be definitive, but add in all those other great slice-of-life Dredd strips that he contributed... add in the Taxidermist, ferchrissake.

Agreed - Sunday Night Fever is still the absolute best depiction of MC1 ever (scriptwise as well as artwise), in my book.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

exilewood

Again - I agree.

But Carlos, Mike, Brian & Ron laid down the rules.

Everyone else has just followed them.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: exilewood on 13 September, 2010, 11:59:37 PM
No McMahon = No Cam. End of story.

I can see how you would put Mick and Cam in the same broad category of scratchy dip pen/cartoony anatomy artists, but to overlook the fact that Cam was drawing for Commando ten years before McMahon started working for 2000AD is something of an oversight. To also miss the fact that a great deal of Cam's style was a rather --ahem-- ruthless homage of Victor de la Fuente undermines your argument still further.

No-one admires McMahon more than I do, but to put Kennedy down as a follower of his is to simply not understand comic history.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

exilewood

You have educated me. And I thank you.

But still...come on. You know what I'm talking about.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: exilewood on 14 September, 2010, 12:40:18 AM
But still...come on. You know what I'm talking about.

Well, if you want to say that Cam's MC-1 grows out of McMahon's, then that's an argument you can certainly make with some merit, but you can then just as easily argue that Mick's grows directly out of Ezquerra's uniquely organic designs, which D'israeli points out was a vision of the future entirely new to British comics in his superb article on MC-1 achitecture.

I'd argue the Kennedy differs from McMahon by easily as much as McMahon from Ezquerra. Others' mileage may vary, obviously.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Chris Weston

Aaagh! I can't boil it down to ten!

I find myself torn between choosing the artists I prefer (artistically) and the artists who've had the bigger impact on the character and the series. Sometimes the qualities coincide. Sometimes they don't. Confused? Me too!

uncle fester

Surely it should be the ones that you prefer artistically?

Casshern

Steven Denton

Hard to decide on just 10. Perhaps it's just because I'm at work but I find myself tempted to make a results spread sheet.

Brendon McCarthy
Colin McNeil
Carlos Ezquerra
Mick McMahon
Ian GIbson
Cam Kennedy
Steve Dillon
Kev Walker
Simon Fraser
Dean Ormston

radiator

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Chris Weston on 14 September, 2010, 02:24:25 PM
Aaagh! I can't boil it down to ten!

I find myself torn between choosing the artists I prefer (artistically) and the artists who've had the bigger impact on the character and the series. Sometimes the qualities coincide. Sometimes they don't. Confused? Me too!

Surely as a professional artist, who'd I'd guess knows some of the people on your liast (or who don't make it) who might punch the hardest you must be a factor?

Spaceghost

Late to the party but...

These are just off the top of my head without thinking too much about it, in no particular order -

Mick McMahon
Carlos Ezquerra
Ron Smith
Steve Dillon
Brendan McCarthy
Brian Bolland
Jock
Henry Flint
Dylan Teague
Kev Walker

If I open a comic and any of the above are on Dreddy art duties, I is happy.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Steven Denton

Quote from: radiator on 14 September, 2010, 03:01:14 PM
Ormston? Really?

I like his weird colour schemes and I like that his artwork was about as chunky as you could get yet still told the story on the page. It looked like he pained all his pages with a house brush but somehow got in all the detail he needed.  For me he stood out amongst the 90's painted strip artist as being a bit different and a quite interesting after he settled in to his style.

Robin Low

Quote from: Steven Denton on 14 September, 2010, 03:10:11 PM
Quote from: radiator on 14 September, 2010, 03:01:14 PM
Ormston? Really?

I like his weird colour schemes and I like that his artwork was about as chunky as you could get yet still told the story on the page. It looked like he pained all his pages with a house brush but somehow got in all the detail he needed.  For me he stood out amongst the 90's painted strip artist as being a bit different and a quite interesting after he settled in to his style.

I rather like Ormston's stuff too, but I then I wouldn't be so pleased to see him on something like Bury My Knee at Wounded Heart, for example. Similarly, Something Abormal about Norman wouldn't have worked half as well with Colin Wilson doing the chores.

What might be interesting is choosing artists who could have illustrated every Dredd story ever written and made them all work... I instinctively go for Carlos and Ron as likely candidates.

Regards

Robin