Main Menu

The return of Gerry Finley-Day and Rogue Trooper

Started by Trout, 07 September, 2010, 01:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

That looks fantastic and I can't wait to see the story.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Grant Goggans

Congrats on the job, Staz.  I'm looking forward to seeing the story.

Steven Denton

There is a touch of Jesus Redondo about the legs, it's good that the image is bringing to mind a fist full of classic artist.

Kev Levell

Peter Wolf

I love it.

I really like B+W linework and i am very glad that this style was chosen for the strip rather than coloured artwork so that was a good decision.

As for the art itself i am not overly familiar with Staz Johnson so what an introduction to see that picture posted this morning as i couldnt stop looking at it.I just love the shading especially the ground with all the lines crossing each other and i can definately see a similarity with Belardinelli with some of the shading tecniques used here.

Its perfect for the strip and i look forward to reading it.

Just how good would this piece of art look if it was hanging on a wall framed ??

I actually feel ecstatic after seeing this pic.

Quote from: John Caliber on 16 September, 2010, 12:43:37 PM
FANTASTIC artwork! It's got everything going for it. The anatomy is sharp and 'weighty'. Not often these days that I see black-and-white comic strip illustrations that could give colourists a friendly two-fingered 'Stand Aside'  :D

Colored artwork never has the same visual impact as really well done B+W artwork/linework and thats why its the only medium that i choose to work in.

Coloring is totally unnecessary with this kind of artwork.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

vzzbux

What a pile of poo, how the hell did.........
Just kidding. A big fan of old Skool twoth and this ticks all the boxes. I am looking forward to this even more now. Roll on 2011. A great choice for Rogue art.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Judge Palmer

Amazing, absolutely loving this Staz, great to see Rogue back once more, it's been a looooong time coming  ;) :) can't wait to buy this when it's out  :D
Creep broke the rules, he's doing time!

JayzusB.Christ

But... where are Lucky, Top and Eightball?

Seriously, though, that's arsom, Staz - old skool art for an old skool character.  Definitely the Rogue I know.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Judge Olde

Very nice. After 2k rung the life out of all things blue - good to see his return. Long may it last if they can do it right. I only hope Fr1day wasn't just a Popes wet dream like The Death of Johnny Alpha

Staz Johnson

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words, it really is a blast to be working on 2000AD(in general) & Rogue(specifically) again. Anyone who has browsed thru my blog will have at times seen pages of Rogue Trooper I did many years ago, long before I was a professional, simply because he was my favorite character.

KevLev: thanks for spreading the word via the twitter thing, I confess that is still way beyond my shallow knowledge of all things interweb. I liked the Rogue sketch you did, & if he once more becomes a returning character I hope you get a shot at him.

John Caliber: This strip was always going to be a b+w job, so right from the word go, I was drawing on all those influences I soaked up when reading British boys papers(as we used to call them), from the obvious Dave Gibbons & Cam Kennedy, thru Mike White (who's work on the original Mean Arena I always loved) Joe Colquhoun, Jesus Redondo etc etc.. Steve Perkhouse was never really an influence tho, I don't really remember reading anything he drew, other than The Spiral Path in Warrior magazine, & at that time I couldn't see past Steve Dillon's Laser Eraser.
As for my inking tools, it's all marker pens (Sharpies to be specific) or fine line fiber tips of one sort or another.

& to those who mention 'Friday'... no.. just no..... :lol:

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Staz Johnson on 17 September, 2010, 12:00:53 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the kind words, it really is a blast to be working on 2000AD(in general) & Rogue(specifically) again. Anyone who has browsed thru my blog will have at times seen pages of Rogue Trooper I did many years ago, long before I was a professional, simply because he was my favorite character.

Indeed, ISTR a certain Earthlet Staz Johnson had a rather nice Readers' Art piece printed in the prog many, many years ago!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Staz Johnson

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 September, 2010, 12:12:38 PM

Indeed, ISTR a certain Earthlet Staz Johnson had a rather nice Readers' Art piece printed in the prog many, many years ago!

Cheers

Jim

I have had a couple of drawings printed in the Nerve Center, one of which (to underline my earlier point that Rogue was my favorite character) was a Rogue Trooper picture (around 1983 I imagine), but I had one  published a couple years before that too, of Tharg, & I still remember the thrill (no pun intended) of getting the letter telling me that my picture was going to be published.. along with my £5- postal order.

P.S... I had to google what 'ISTR' meant.. you crazy kids & your hip-to-th-beat-lingo!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Staz Johnson on 17 September, 2010, 01:20:21 PM
I have had a couple of drawings printed in the Nerve Center, one of which (to underline my earlier point that Rogue was my favorite character) was a Rogue Trooper picture (around 1983 I imagine), but I had one  published a couple years before that too, of Tharg, & I still remember the thrill (no pun intended) of getting the letter telling me that my picture was going to be published.. along with my £5- postal order.

Ah. I only remember the one with Rogue taking out a couple of Norts. Lovely use of black -- it was no surprise to see you turn up working for Harrier a couple of years later.

QuoteP.S... I had to google what 'ISTR' meant.. you crazy kids & your hip-to-th-beat-lingo!

d00d! PWNed by my 733t haxxor skillz!!11!!!1! ZOMG!

:-)

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Staz Johnson