Main Menu

Prog 2131 - The Ape of Good Hope

Started by Tjm86, 11 May, 2019, 07:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

This week gives an interesting read.  Dredd is quite an apposite tale considering some of the issues we've seen this week.  The world according to Chimpsky certainly takes on a different reading in light of the Danny Baker faux pas.  Holden's artwork definitely holds up to the situation.  "I'm fluent in fascist" has to be the go-to line of the strip though.  Lots of interesting ideas in this one as a one-off.

Scarlet Traces draws us into the earlier tales.  Love the old beeb test cards.  As always d'israeli's art is something to admire.  An exposition heavy episode to be sure but lots to like.

Normal has never been a character that has done much for me but this strip is certainly enjoyable enough.  Once again though I find myself wondering if this was not better suited to the meg.  Giving over so much of the prog to Dreddworld kind of negates the purpose of the magazine for me.  Mind, this is just being pedantic.

3rillers starts off well enough.  Certainly can't fault Corcoran's artwork and Peaty throws together some interesting ideas.  This is one of a few that has got me intrigued from the off.  There are a number of directions in which this can be taken but it is by no means clear which one Peaty is going to go for.  Considering the title it is nice to find one of these that tantilises.

Kingmaker certainly seems to run the risk of living too much up to its title although given Gallagher's artwork it is tempting to be a little forgiving.  Observations about similarities to plot twists in Brass Sun don't help though.

So overall a perfectly serviceable prog.  Not exactly awe inspiring but the beauty of tooth is that even when it is not exactly firing on all cylinders it tends to leave its American counterparts in the shade.

Not entirely sure I agree with the Star Letter this week regarding the Long Game and I'm still trying to work out the Falk pun in Droid life.

Fungus

Colin YNWA

Okay who is Kenneth Niemand? We did this last time he gave us good Dredd and once again he gives us good Dredd. Damned good Dredd. It was bloomin' hilarious and I sat reading it grinning joyfully beginning to end. Looked great, moved well and was an absolute delight... its only two problems were its two teases

1. Don't give us Nerm Chimpsky then snatch him away like that. You tease you... you...

2. Who are you? As we learnt last time Neimand is 'no one' in German, similar to Keiner which means pretty much the same and is a bit like Kenneth... so who are you you marvelous tease?

Anyway bring back Chimpsky soon and all will be forgiven.

There was other good stuff in the Prog. Max Normal continues to be the absolute best story I never knew I needed and I hope the cubing of Mo Bland so many years ago sets up a sequel I never knew I needed. Scarlet Traces is also great fun as it has been to date. Is it me or is D'Israeli's colouring very Cam Kennedy this episode? Anyway like the way the story based on War of the World's has essentiall come full circle and taken us back to War of the Worlds.

Kingmaker is likewise probably as good as normal but it fuddled me noggin a little but too much. I mean I enjoyed it... I think ... but I spend too much time trying to piece things together and spot the connections and that did stop me enjoying it as much as I have to date. The worst thing is I'm too dense to have come up with any real links beyond the obvious so all that effort and distraction was wasted!

Finally the 3riller was okay. set things up, okay but as weknow with 3riller never judge a 3riller by its openner. So we'll see.

For all the other good stuff in there the only thing that gets close to the Dredd is that back cover - I mean just how good does that cover for this month's Meg look! As good a K Neimand Dredd that's how good!

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 May, 2019, 08:48:21 PM
For all the other good stuff in there the only thing that gets close to the Dredd is that back cover - I mean just how good does that cover for this month's Meg look! As good a K Neimand Dredd that's how good!

You think the cover looks good?  Wait 'til you read it.  Firing on all cylinders and MindWars to boot!

titchard

Finally caught up to date last night - wasn't really sold on the Max Normal strip to start with but have definitely warmed to it as it's gone on!

Loving Scarlett Traces, the constant use of red/orange really gives it that feeling of apocalypse when they are above ground.  Love the art work, definitely has got me digging out my trade of Leviathan after I finish what I am reading at the moment.

Dredd was a great one shot, as has been mention "I am fluent in facist" really made me smile, and I love how Dredd is just responding in trope descriptions.

CalHab

Whoever Kenneth Niemand is, they know their Dredd.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tjm86 on 12 May, 2019, 10:26:06 AM

You think the cover looks good?  Wait 'til you read it.  Firing on all cylinders and MindWars to boot!

Ohhhh I'd forgotten about Mindwars. Can't wait until Wednesday.

titchard

Ohhhh I'd forgotten about Mindwars. Can't wait until Wednesday.

I had a quick flick through, I am definitely looking forward to reading that this week!

Proudhuff

Okay who is Kenneth Niemand? We did this last time he gave us good Dredd and once again he gives us good Dredd. Damned good Dredd. It was bloomin' hilarious and I sat reading it grinning joyfully beginning to end. Looked great, moved well and was an absolute delight... its only two problems were its two teases

1. Don't give us Nerm Chimpsky then snatch him away like that. You tease you... you...

2. Who are you? As we learnt last time Neimand is 'no one' in German, similar to Keiner which means pretty much the same and is a bit like Kenneth... so who are you you marvelous tease?

Anyway bring back Chimpsky soon and all will be forgiven.

Scarlet Traces is also great fun as it has been to date. Is it me or is D'Israeli's colouring very Cam Kennedy this episode? Anyway like the way the story based on War of the World's has essentiall come full circle and taken us back to War of the Worlds.

This x2 ^^^^
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

A good solid Dredd. That first page really nailed it for me. Hopefully we see more of Chimpsky in the future.  Kingmaker was just awesome. Great art and great writing.  Even the 3riller has nice start and it looks very interesting. Like Max and Scarlet as well. A very good prog after the mini break.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

When I saw the cover I thought "oh no, not yet another ape story." But it was fantastic. Like broodblik, the first page impressed me, and the rest of the story lived up to its promise. I especially liked Dredd's "dialogue."

This would have worked as the first episode to something longer. Maybe we'll see this character again. Whether we do or not, I'd like to see more from Kenny Who? Kenneth Niemand.

I'm not a fan of this Max Normal series, but I did like the bit where he [spoiler]met Dredd for the first time.[/spoiler]

norton canes

A pretty good prog, Dredd being the standout - a lovely comic conceit expertly exploited. Anyone else think the holo-Judge on the first page look a bit early-prog old-school? Scarlet Traces seems a very different beast to the previous chapter, which I seem to recall was dominated by nondescript spindly bald men of various planetary origins. Much prefer this iteration. Max Normal has been a delight. It would be even more fantastic if the Adams droid had reigned in the rhyming language a bit. The 3riller looked good but I have to say the plot seemed a bit cliched, still, two episodes to go, so anything could happen. Kingmaker remains a great read and fortunately the presence of a character from episodes of a strip I hadn't read didn't make it any less enjoyable.

<Concludes with amusing pun>

JayzusB.Christ

That was a lovely little Dredd alright. Bit of a warm glow of nostalgia for me - a witty, self-contained one-off about the citizens instead of the machinations of the Justice Dept.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

An instant classic of a Dredd, that. Fantastic characterful art from Holden, perfect vibrant colours from Charles and a beautifully executed running gag from 'Niemand' They don't get much better than that, holding its own with the very best single-part Dredds. Extra lube for all involved.

Enjoyed everything else too: in particular the Brass Sun links in Kingmaker seem more distant than I had feared, James Peaty's Chimera has a strong opener and  Scarlet Traces gets all maudlin in high style. Max Normal continues to thrill, an expected meeting with Baby Joe going even better than hoped.

Such a good comic.