Main Menu

The 're-imagining' of Lobo [ala Twighlight!]

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 27 August, 2013, 09:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

That -thing!  Constantine looks like a 1970's Disco Queen dammit.

So so WRONG!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 05 September, 2013, 04:55:58 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batwoman-authors-exit-claim-dc-621274

Shouldn't really be surprised. This is the DC of Dan DiDio, who only wants to sell comics to 45-year old men, and Bob Harras, the man who dicked Chris Claremont around so much he walked off the X-Men.

Thoroughly depressing, though.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Given what this objectively looks like, I think it's only fair to give the benefit of the doubt and assume it isn't homophobia and is in fact some marketing-led reasoning like "marrying characters makes them old and/or hard to relate to."  Coincidentally, Dan DiDio recently went out of his way to state that that Orson Scott Card Superman story was definately seeing print one way or another.

JamesC

I struggle to think of anything that DC have done right concerning the New 52. Maybe the Wonder Woman series? I've heard good things about it.

In general I think it's been an excersize in celebrating mediocrity and generally missing the point of characters.
John Constantine is a good example as is Shazam (or Captain Marvel, which should be the most joyful and irreverent super hero title on the stands and IMHO a no brainier for a continuity light, all ages comic) and the two seem to have collided in some kind of clusterfuck abomination.

If I could give Dan DiDio a piece of advice (ok, ok, I know I have no experience of editing comics but indulge me) it would be that sometimes simplicity is a good thing. Nice simple costumes beat these JimLee monstrosities any day and there's no reason at all for Superman, Batman or Green Lantern comics need to be as complicated and overblown as they are.

Oh, for the days of Grant/Breyfogle Batman! Speaking of which the debut of the all new Ventriloquist is out this week.

sheldipez

Batman has been fantastic under Synder and Capullo's reign. I've enjoyed first two trades of Batwoman too so sad to hear that team go.

Justice League should have been their flagship title but the first six issues was pretty lacklustre beyond Jim Lee's pencils (which I adore), it felt too much like DC's take on X Men with the general public prejudice against the superhumans.

DC as a company are totally lost. I don't know which is more amazing that they think 3D covers, pull out posters and gatefold covers is a selling point outside of 1995 or there's suckers actually scrabbling about trying to collect them all up.

JamesC

I read all of the Bat titles for the first year and gave up on them. They were just too meandering and sort of reverent of the Bat mythos.
I'm not a fan of all this Bat omen, history of Gotham stuff either. It was interesting to see what Morrison was doing with it but in general I think it makes the character less interesting. He should be Batman because he's self made and a bit of a nutter, not because it was preordained by some Bat shamen or whatever.

Professor Bear

I thought the bat-omen stuff was great... back in the early 1990s when Peter Milligan did it.

Frank

Thanks for reading and explaining this stuff to me, so I don't have to suffer through it myself, guys. Is that really how John Constantine looks now, or just something funny that happened once?

sheldipez

Quote from: sauchie on 05 September, 2013, 07:04:03 PM

Thanks for reading and explaining this stuff to me, so I don't have to suffer through it myself, guys. Is that really how John Constantine looks now, or just something funny that happened once?

Yeah was just a temporary thing taken out of context. He's not a cigarette smoking superhero or anything in NEW 52. Hmmmm. Wonder if I can pitch that to Didio.

sheldipez

Don't worry everyone - the final Lobo is much more manly than the concept design  :lol:

Professor Bear

Apparantly this is actually Lobo's third reboot since the New 52 relaunch.

Fragminion

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 11 September, 2013, 11:38:17 AM
Apparantly this is actually Lobo's third reboot since the New 52 relaunch.
And I have "re-booted" my lunch 2 out of 3 times.

Zarjazzer

Has anyone read it? Was it any good of so?  :-*
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

TordelBack

More importantly, does that appear to be our very own Ben Oliver drawing that pic of some foppish lad, with some other buggers' inks'n'colours?  He of Cockroaches and that Synamon cover?  On Justice League no less, so.  Fair play, if it's him.