PROG 1810: RoBusters The Disaster Squad of Distinction - Assemble

Started by Tjm86, 17 November, 2012, 12:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Frank

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 23 November, 2012, 05:09:19 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 23 November, 2012, 04:51:48 PM
You are a Tory Cabinet Minister and I claim my five pounds

I've been voted out of the jungle. If anyone wants me I'll be over here, eating a kangaroo's arsehole.

A.Cow

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 23 November, 2012, 04:48:14 PM
With such a drastically reduced population, the Meg has a realistic shot at reaching full employment levels for the first time in living memory.

Erm...  With such a drastically reduced population, who is going to buy the goods they produce & sell?  I'd suggest that the unemployment is caused by over-efficient technology rather than population size.

Am I taking this too seriously?

Frank

Quote from: A.Cow on 23 November, 2012, 06:28:09 PM
With such a drastically reduced population, the Meg has a realistic shot at reaching full employment levels for the first time in living memory.

Erm...  With such a drastically reduced population, who is going to buy the goods they produce & sell?  I'd suggest that the unemployment is caused by over-efficient technology rather than population size. Am I taking this too seriously?

We all are, A Cow. I'd imagine that what little existing employment there was in MC1 before Chaos Day was already in the service, cultural and maybe the financial and care sectors - two of those sectors might actually thrive in the current circumstances. If the authorities decide that preventing idle hands from doing the devil's work is more important than balancing the books, they could follow the Keynesian philosophy endorsed by the Roosevelt and Nazi administrations of the 1930's and borrow heavily to finance state employment of their citizens in large public infrastructure projects - that ended well.

Didn't someone here suggest that the Department could offer tax breaks to firms which prioritise human labour?

W. R. Logan

Just wondering if a writers page rate goes down if he re-tells a story that he's written before.

A.Cow

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 23 November, 2012, 11:07:28 PM
Just wondering if a writers page rate goes down if he re-tells a story that he's written before.

Would that mean they'd be getting Anderson, Psi Division for free?

Modern Panther

Dredd: Frank: Simp - the threads are highlighted again for those who missed them the first time.  This really is comic writing at its finest, with different styles blending seamlessly into one beautiful whole.  It's also wonderfully MC1, with a plan and villian who are at once entirely believable and utterly nuts.  After the high quality of DOC, I expected a lull as writers got used to the post chaos world, but this is amongst the best dreddworld story I've read.

BrassSun seems to have lost a few of its early fans, but i'm still loving it.  As with Mr Edginton's other worlds,i feel that we are being shown the heavily edited version of a story that would have run to thousands of wonderful pages if he could get away with it.  The Gormenghast/Dune clockwork universe is inspired.

ABC Warriors continues to continue, stripmining nostalgia for all its worth.  War, it seems, is hell and people are generally shitty to each other, especially the ones with power.  The flashback framing opens huge opportunity for continuing tales, like how RoJaws ended up on a second hand droid store after discovering nefarious business practices whilst cleaning out the bins of some blackhearted oil multinational, and how Joe Pineapples was once a kindergarden teacher before a local councillor accused him of being a terrorist because he didn't separate his recycling properly.

Proudhuff

Quote from: we are all roger godpleton on 23 November, 2012, 09:58:47 PM
Quote from: A.Cow on 23 November, 2012, 06:28:09 PM

Erm...  With such a drastically reduced population, who is going to buy the goods they produce & sell?  I'd suggest that the unemployment is caused by over-efficient technology rather than population size. Am I taking this too seriously?

We all are, A Cow. I'd imagine that what little existing employment there was in MC1 before Chaos Day was already in the service, cultural and maybe the financial and care sectors - two of those sectors might actually thrive in the current circumstances. If the authorities decide that preventing idle hands from doing the devil's work is more important than balancing the books, they could follow the Keynesian philosophy endorsed by the Roosevelt and Nazi administrations of the 1930's and borrow heavily to finance state employment of their citizens in large public infrastructure projects - that ended well.

Didn't someone here suggest that the Department could offer tax breaks to firms which prioritise human labour?

TL DR
DDT did a job on me