Main Menu

Prog 2089 - The Apes of Wrath!

Started by Richard, 07 July, 2018, 01:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: athorist on 08 July, 2018, 01:44:08 AM
I jumped straight to Durham Red, and I love the sequence on page 3. Maybe the ending's a bit contrived - [spoiler]would she really lose control so easily when she only fed last issue? - although they did make it a point that he didn't last that long[/spoiler], but when characters have weaknesses like that, l'm a fan of having it actually be inconvenient to them.

[spoiler]It's a bit like being an alcoholic.  The urge is always there and if you give in to it then it tends to run rampant, especially if you are on your own with no-one to help you moderate your response.  If anything, the fact that she fed so recently makes her behaviour in this episode all the more believable.[/spoiler]

Colin YNWA

Not much change from last time really, little ups and downs here and there, but we've had a consistently good Prog for a while now, occasionally flirting with Great.

I thought the ending to Dredd was a little standard and while undoubtly fun seemed a little like Williams and Weston wanted to take a little break from Judge Pin to do something a bit different and having a chat to decide what. They (I assume having read my self published comic 'Ape in a Spacesuit' that apes in spacesuits are the coolish thing possible and just built a story from there. Now Williams and Weston having fun with chimps is clearly a very good thing, just lacked anything more...

... more, you want MORE....

...well yes I'm greedy.

and you get more from The Order. Bloomin' love where this strip is going and time for a flashback to flesh things out is fine. As stated elsewhere it looks incredible too.

Skip Tracer could have been more but it needs to make me care. About the protangist, the situation and preferable both. Alas here its neither. Still we'll see what happens next time.

Deadworld continues to be superb. But it Durham Red that steals the show with a fantastic final episode, closing down this story while opening up both a desire and potential for more... so once again...

More please.

Magnetica

Quote from: Frank on 07 July, 2018, 04:49:29 PM

With the obviously proviso that all art and appreciation is subjective, Weston is now greater* than Bolland ever was.
Quote from: Geoff on 07 July, 2018, 08:24:10 PMOohh I don't know about that, I absolutely adore Weston's art but greater...that's tough

One thing they both have in common is that when you see their b/w inking often it defies belief that a human hand has done such intricate work.

His current work is certainly better than the digital Bolland though, no contest!

Yes it is all subjective, and Weston' art is great, but for me Bolland is number 1.

For one, Bolland's figures are more dynamic than Weston's.

Also, when I think about the artists I like the most, it is also about context. Specifically which stories a given artist has drawn and how much impact they have had on me. In that regard Bolland wins hands down over Weston.

Bolland might not have done that many stories, but what he did were absolute classics. For me Chris Weston can't match those, apart from Six and the recent Judge Pin stuff. But compare that to The Cursed Earth, The Day the Law Died, The Judge Child, Judge Death and Judge Death Lives, then it is no contest. Add in stuff like Face Change Crimes, The Forever Crimes, Block War and the last episode of Block Mania, and basically I'm fighting with Bolland Block.

Oh and I would put Killing Time fairly high on my list of least favourite 2000AD stories.  (Sorry...)

Jim_Campbell

I certainly think it's fair to say that Weston is a better Dredd artist than Bolland, when considering the strip as a whole. Bolland unquestionably gave us many definitive, iconic images of Dredd himself, but his version of MC-1 largely failed to convince. I'd argue that he never really gave us a version of the city that felt like the 'real' MC-1 until Block Mania, when he was picking up the baton from McMahon, Dillon and Smith*. The rest of the time, his city felt, to quote D'israeli, like 'the future sprayed silver with fins stuck on'.

*It's also fair to note that Smith's MC-1 suffered from the same problem, but was redeemed, in part at least, by his love of packing crowd scenes with crazy citizens. 
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

Bolland vs Weston. This for me is like choosing between your two favourite dishes. When Weston started in the business I did not really appreciated his work this his changed the last few years. Bolland in contrast for me was great from the word go. I like the detail of Weston's current work and for the reason I will choose him. Bolland was for long the Dredd artist.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JamesC

For this kind of fine, detailed work on Dredd I'd probably put Bolland just ahead of Weston (For the Eagle covers as much as anything) but I'd actually put Cliff Robinson ahead of either of them (not in terms of strip-work, but for me he's number 1 for Dredd covers).

Proudhuff

Loved Dredd, plotholes abound, but who cares when you have this madness, great change of pace from this team.

Nothing else in this prog even stirs dislike...
DDT did a job on me

CalHab

Can't fault the apes. Brilliant.

Durham Red ends on a bang. I hope this returns soon.

I was going to say that I'd lost track of what is going in in The Order, but I don't think I ever had a grasp of it in the first place. Can anyone give me a simple summary because, at the moment, I'm just looking at the pretty pictures?

Fungus

Quote from: Proudhuff on 09 July, 2018, 11:54:50 AM
Loved Dredd, plotholes abound, but who cares when you have this madness, great change of pace from this team.

Nothing else in this prog even stirs dislike...

S'right. The monkey tale has saved the prog for me too. But 1/5 is worrying...  :|
Do I hang around for the next - inevitable - injection of Mills Thrills ?
Hm.

Frank

Officially-not-as-good-as-Bolland hack artist, Chris Weston, makes a bold bid to put Pete Wells out of business by sharing his roughs[1] and colour prelims directly with you, the discerning Sister Wendys of fandom.

Over to you, Chris [2] ...

STEP ONE: First, I create a pencil rough that's so insanely detailed it's basically the finished article. I mean, the draughtsmanship's so precise and the modelling so fine that most artists would hand that in along with an invoice demanding payment, but I've got a lot of free time on my hands and I enjoy discouraging aspiring artists by passive-aggressively setting the bar so high everyone else feels like a fraud:

https://i.imgur.com/pHcqZCp.png

STEP TWO: Due to my enormous inheritance from the Smith & Weston arms manufacturer my great-grandfather founded with John Smith's aunty, I no longer need to work to support myself, but I decide to really eat up the billable hours anyway, laying down different colour swatches - like when your mum was getting a new carpet and brought home the sample book with removable pages made of textiles. Again, it's basically finished already, but I'm killing time between the tennis finishing and the next world cup game:

https://i.imgur.com/yFF2EkN.png

STEP THREE: I'll be honest; I'm just showing off now. I run the entire thing through a computer programme called CHEATR, which makes everything look like an eighteenth-century Italian engraving. This takes even more time, but me and Glenn Fabry are engaged in a competition to see how many individual lines you can include on a page before it uses up all the free memory in 2000ad's server farm and crashes their system:

https://i.imgur.com/GEtWUVu.png

STEP FOUR: The gang of Filipino orphans I bought from Geoff Darrow and keep locked in the cellar set to work applying colour as per my instructions. I superimpose a grid over the image that breaks it down into a thousand tiny squares, so the children can work on each section individually, using their wee fingers to carefully layer graded areas of colour using iPad Pros with internet access disabled, so they can't message the outside world for help:

https://i.imgur.com/1eLQ1Uz.png

[1] Barely legible childish scrawls, really

[2] Chris Weston did not write any of the following. Not one word.

broodblik

Good solid prog with a cover that you can literally go ape for.

Dredd – Weston's art is as always, the highlight in any prog and he delivers a nice Dredd tale.

Skip Tracer – I enjoyed this and look forward to the return in prog 2100. Hopefully we can see some more character development.

Durham Red – like this and I liked the new Durham. Hopefully this will return soon. In the art department I prefer Willsher's art. Carter is a good artist but in this case,  it felt a little bit rushed (yes I do understand he had to take over in a short period of time and had a short turnaround time to deliver)

The Order – this is just great from art to script.

Deadworld – continues to deliver
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Timothy

It's good to see that Wally Squad Judge Cameron has finally got a break and been reappointed from the Low Life to cushy gazillionaire duties.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Timothy on 11 July, 2018, 08:14:29 AM
It's good to see that Wally Squad Judge Cameron has bvfinally got a break and been reappointed from the Low Life to cushy gazillionaire duties.

Huh!?!  :o
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

norton canes

Another great prog. Killer cover by Chris Weston. Shame the monkey isn't actually on Dredd's back, as the caption claims. The episode itself concludes the story in riotous fashion, bit rushed in places but that just adds to the sense of chaos. Still not quite sure where the elevator was actually headed, though..?

The Order is as glorious as ever, John Burns' art endowing it with a timeless quality. Rick Random concludes with a strange and underwhelming installment - with it coming back so soon it's going to be running at the same time as the new series of Brink, isn't it? Hmm. Deadworld spoils us with glimpses of three of the Dark Judges, and Durham Red wraps with a brutal denouement. Tharg, please say Durham Red is coming back real soon, it really needs a run of a few consecutive stories.

And as if all that wasn't enough, stand by for more Grey Area. It's coming home!

Max Headroom