Main Menu

yoincks! followed closely by bah!

Started by judgefloyd, 20 April, 2013, 11:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grugz

I think I'd be pushing it but i'll be able to get witcher 3 for the big day and hopefully star wars and fallout 4.

and the daughter's happy cos I promised her the 360 now all she needs are a few more games than her how to train your dragon one she already has!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Woolly

Yoinks! - My week off work begins here...
Bah! - ...and not only have I developed a chest infection, but also insane toothache in two teeth! Awaiting a call back from an emergency dentist, whilst riding a Solpadol wave.

[spoiler]Bollocks![/spoiler]

I, Cosh

Yoincks! Dark chocolate Tunnocks caramel wafers.

Bah! This billboard is at the airport as I'm about to leave the country.
We never really die.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Yoinks! Was excited by the posting here of an open source video editor, as my son was looking for one and wanted to know why (a) I wouldn't buy a £500 editing suite for his YouTube videos, and (b) why it wasn't okay to download a cracked copy of that same suite.

Bah! Linux only. And I cannot be arsed with that.
Lock up your spoons!

Mardroid

Yoinks! I was offered work for very good wages, and stated that they would employ me purely on my CV as they were unable to interview me.
Double yoinks! I was offered a contract but....

Bah: they require me to undertake a security check myself because the usual one will take too long, and they will reimburse me with my first wages.

Am I paranoid to assume this is very likely a scam?

I was actually kind of suspicious early on the moment they stated an interview probably wouldnt be required, but I let it play out as I couldn't see what they had to gain. Then when I was required to pay for the secuirty scan, I thought "Aha! There it is."

I will investigate them further but I'm pretty sure they're dodgy.

Spikes

Whilst it is very strange, that they would employ somebody purely on the basis of their CV (I assume you haven't actually met them in person?), paying for a security check is pretty common nowadays.

Mardroid

I haven't met them. They contacted me via email in the first place.

Longer version of what happened (please bear with me, but I think you'll see why I'm suspicious).

In the first email they requested I fill in an online form specifying a time and day for a telephone interview. I booked it for a Saturday since the system allowed me to. They stated that they had had a number of other interviews but someone had 'let them down and gone to another company'. That actually set some arm bells going since it seemed rather unprofessional to go into that amount of explanation about something that's none of my business.

They didn't call back, so I assumed it was due to the Saturday appointment so I booked another appointment online for a weekday.

Shortly after that I happened to check my spam folder where there was an apology email relating to the first appointment stating that he had been unable to call as he had to go to head office but they would likely forgo the interview and offer me the job, based on my CV. (Incidentally, in the original email it was supposed to be a lady who interviewed me, not him, but I guess that doesn't mean much. Maybe he'd call and pass the phone to her, but it's an inconsistency which made me wonder..) He had to speak with his manager first to confirm it. He'd get back to me Thursday.

Then I got the exact same letter when the other appointment I had booked came up. I guess he could have just copied and pasted or set up an automated response....

Then I get another two emails stating that he had spoken to his boss and or was likely they'd give me the contract... But they would confirm the following morning... (So basically not much more information.)

Afternoon the next day I get a text and 2 duplicate  emails with contract attached. 'Dont fill in the contract yet. You'll fill in a hard copy when you start." Then the request for the security FS1 check to 'speed things up'.

To be fair the did leave a phone number I can call, but any actor can answer a call.

I haven't looked closely at the attached documents yet. I'll attempt to find out if the company and the fs1 security site is legit as well. But I'm wary when companies ask you to pay for something before you start. But you give me food for thought Spike. I know security checks were common, but I figured it was always taken care of by the company.

Trout

Concerned this is indeed a scam. You need independent evidence that the company exists as stated and is reputable.

Start by looking them up in the (online) phone book and calling their switchboard. Then ask for HR and make your concerns plain, speaking politely.

If you get this far, they will help. Good luck!

Mardroid

moly

It sounds very suspicious, they will probably ask for your bank details soon

Mardroid

Quote from: moly on 04 September, 2016, 04:33:44 PM
It sounds very suspicious, they will probably ask for your bank details soon

That's not too much of an issue though since they can only use those details to pay you anyway, not withdraw. That's if we're talking about just providing account number and sort code. It's if they wish to set up a direct debit you'd have to worry,but that would be a crap scam.

Spikes

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 September, 2016, 04:26:42 PM
I haven't looked closely at the attached documents yet. I'll attempt to find out if the company and the fs1 security site is legit as well. But I'm wary when companies ask you to pay for something before you start. But you give me food for thought Spike. I know security checks were common, but I figured it was always taken care of by the company.

Where I work (A local Government authority), when I first started, they sorted out the Police/Security checks. And pretty advanced ones at that. And whenever it needs updating, they also do this for free.

But for newer starters/temporary staff, they have to pay for their own checks. And this is NOT reimbursed afterwards

Also, I've Nieces who work in the care industry, and they also have to pay for, and swallow the cost of, their own checks if they change employers.

So it would appear that having to pay for your own checks is becoming more and more common. Another way for employers to save money I guess. As I understand it, these kind of checks, are not cheap.

So, in a way, being asked to pay upfront for checks wouldn't have set any alarm bells ringing, but everything else you have stated, does. Sounds like a classic scam set-up, tbh...
This might be down purely to me not having dealt with something like this before, and the process you've stated might be more common for certain jobs etc, but still, to me, it does sound most peculiar.

Sorry, I can't be of more help, but I think you are on the right track by proceeding with caution.

sheridan

Quote from: Trout on 04 September, 2016, 04:30:36 PM
Concerned this is indeed a scam. You need independent evidence that the company exists as stated and is reputable.

Start by looking them up in the (online) phone book and calling their switchboard. Then ask for HR and make your concerns plain, speaking politely.

If you get this far, they will help. Good luck!
I'm not sure what the process is for a company getting their phone number into the directory, but I doubt it's that rigorous.  It's not failsafe, but try the companies house register.

Mardroid

Thanks for your advice guys. Much appreciated.

Mardroid

The company is listed with Companies House, but the company no. Provided in the offer email is not the same as the one listed at companies house. I don't know if that means anything though as their number might correspond to a different register.

There are no phone numbers that I can find at Companies House either, but I will do a search elsewhere for an online companies  phone book.