Main Menu

Oink

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 19 March, 2019, 10:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I've been joyfully perusing the online scans of my favourite comic as a child, Oink.  There is so much stuff that I couldn't possibly have understood that it's ridiculous; a lot of it by Jeremy Banx who didn't seem to care he was writing for children.  And I love him for it.

First of all there was Keith Disease, the living print of a punk kid on Hector Vector's talking T-shirt.  He calls his poor owner both 'hairless' and 'pre-pubescent' and later goes on to screech out the first verse of Anarchy in the UK while carol-singing. (As an adult he obviously went back to his real surname, Flint, and sadly left us a couple of weeks ago.)

There was also Burp the alien, who actually makes me far queasier as an adult than he did then.  He meets an alien king at one point: a Prince Charles lookalike called 'King Parasite the Inbred.'

Also the violence level of the comic in general was insane; families murdering each other for laughs, kids dying comic deaths, blood and guts flowing like the prog at its goriest.

A bit of Kev O'Neill there too: his Santa Claus is revealed to be a filthy, emaciated, child-hating  Steptoe-esque degenerate in a fat suit.

I loved it, and I still do. Shame the smutty little oiks that created it were never heard from again.  Charlie who?

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richard

Oink was absolutely brilliant. I read it as a kid and I loved how every page felt like something your parents wouldn't have let you read if they'd known what it was like. Burp the Smelly Alien was my favourite because it was so disgusting. I hope the Treasury of British Comics does a collection of Oink stuff. 🐷

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 20 March, 2019, 07:07:57 PM
Oink was absolutely brilliant. I read it as a kid and I loved how every page felt like something your parents wouldn't have let you read if they'd known what it was like. Burp the Smelly Alien was my favourite because it was so disgusting. I hope the Treasury of British Comics does a collection of Oink stuff. 🐷

The biggest sell for them would be that they could print Charlie Brooker's first publisehd work (with back-up biggish name Marc Lard*).

p.s. Oink! got mentioned in the House of Commons, in a debate about the Poll Tax, from Hansard:

QuoteEven the children begin to think that something wrong is happening in the House of Commons. Believe it or not, some of our comics have referred to the poll tax. I freely admit that I am not a parent and am not as up-to-date on comics as I was. I discussed the matter the other day with my young friend William Pickering, aged 12¼, because of what he had read in his comic "Oink" about the poll tax. [Interruption.] Yes, there is a comic called "Oink". William asked me a few questions. He said, "There is a page in the July issue, Jeff, on 'Ten Things You Should Know about the New Poll Tax'." Time under the guillotine does not permit me to read out all 10, but I promised William that I would raise a few with the Minister:

"1. Everyone who owns a parrot has to pay Poll Tax.
2. If it talks, you pay double the basic rate.
3. If it says rude words, you pay treble the basic rate.
4. If it says rude words about the Labour party you get a full rebate and 1 cwt. of millet.
5. People who are members of the Conservative Party don't pay poll tax, no matter how many parrots they have."

1116 I shall not take up the time of the House with the other five points, but at the end of the 10 things that young children should know about the poll tax it says: A government spokesman explained that the new tax is necessary, as the old domestic rating system which it will replace is both illogical and unfair. When we suggested that the tax seemed to favour the well-off, he replied that nothing could be further from the truth and told us not to give the game away. That is the reason for the guillotine motion.

* most people reading this of a certain age will know who Lard is, others possibly not so much...

M.I.K.

There may be a problem with publishing an Oink! collection. Apparently most of the folk who freelanced on it own the rights to their own characters, because they didn't relinquish their copyright, (according to various people who worked on it).

That probably explains how Burp appeared in other publications and David Leach is still drawing Psycho Gran stories.

Richard

So pay them some money and get their permission. Can't see why people wouldn't want to be paid again for work they've already done.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: M.I.K. on 30 March, 2019, 04:01:37 PM
There may be a problem with publishing an Oink! collection. Apparently most of the folk who freelanced on it own the rights to their own characters, because they didn't relinquish their copyright, (according to various people who worked on it).

That probably explains how Burp appeared in other publications and David Leach is still drawing Psycho Gran stories.

Oddly enough, I met him a couple of weeks ago, at Dublin ComicCon (the second comic convention I'd ever been to - sorry, but generally speaking they're not my thing).

I recognised Psycho Gran immediately and had a nice chat about Oink with him.  I had recently been reading old Toxic comics, and only realised the next day that he'd been behind The Driver and that horrible but rivetting unfinished story about lower class humans being bred for food. Really wish I'd copped it at the time and chatted to him about it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 March, 2019, 11:52:29 PM
I recognised Psycho Gran immediately and had a nice chat about Oink with him.  I had recently been reading old Toxic comics, and only realised the next day that he'd been behind The Driver and that horrible but rivetting unfinished story about lower class humans being bred for food. Really wish I'd copped it at the time and chatted to him about it.

The name Detritus comes to mind?

JayzusB.Christ

That's the one. Detritus Rex. Really wish they'd finished it.