Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 April, 2019, 11:50:36 AM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 17 April, 2019, 12:48:53 AM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 13 April, 2019, 12:16:26 PM
JJA strikes again.  Clearly the aim was something that evoked Return Of or Revenge Of so as predicted they're already rolling back from that whole "a clean break with the past" theme that ran through TLJ.

And so it goes.

I don't think there was a 'clean break with the past' theme in TLJ: although both Luke and Kylo aspired to one, they were both completely frustrated in their aims.

Whatever we may think of the story so far and the execution – figuratively and literally – of legacy characters, nothing in that title suggests a roll-back or ret-con. At least from a superficial reading it feels like a genuine continuation of the last act of TLJ which set-up TROS and indicates a merging of what came before in TFA and TLJ – which is precisely what the last film should logically be, a synthesis. It's been clear since the end of TLJ what direction Episode IX was, or at least should be, going in for the trilogy to work at all at this stage of the game.

Luke declared the Rebellion is reborn, and he'll not be the last Jedi, and the legend of Crait reached Broomkid and the Back-street Boys who are the first stirrings of the what I assume is the rise of the Skywalker legacy across the galaxy. It might not be the literal resurrection of Luke some fans want but it makes sense, if it happens that way.

What raises alarm bells for me is the temptation for fan-service with Abrams & co. going back to the bizarro world of Prequel era notions of Skywalker parentage and the murky virgin birth lore with Palpatine rubbing his loins at a distance (if we're really lucky they'll have had a moment of divine inspiration and managed to make it work, even if only in the moment).

I'm fine with the Death Star/Emperor set-up if it's for flashbacks and explains how his own imperial legacy led to the First Order and why the galaxy is the way it is – context that shouldn't really be a mystery at all and been given in TFA. I don't really want to see him alive. Maybe they'll surprise me with that one given that these are all old Lucas ideas.

It's been clear since TFA that JJA and Kasdan structured the whole thing backwards leaving the explaining to do later or when they'd figured it out. Giving them the benefit of the doubt and the chance there was at least some vague plan at work, RJ was either told to leave certain things alone or wasn't interested, obligated or too distracted by the task at hand to do more about it.

Of course it could be ringing and blowing all the SW bells and whistles, be entertaining while watching, but not make any reasonable sense at all – like a lot, and some of, the best Star Wars.

No doubt Vader will pop-up again.

radiator

I couldn't find the 'youtube gold' thread, but i suppose that this is as good a place as any;

One of the hosts of the incredibly popular and successfull youtube channel/pop culture media empire Collider threw an extraordinarily childish and unprofessional on-air wobbly the other day, all because he didn't get invited to the opening of the Star Wars Disneyland attraction, and it's an absolute doozy - literally a 40 year old man throwing a very public tantrum because he didn't get to go to Disneyland while other, less popular (so in his mind less deserving) pop culture reporters did:

https://youtu.be/X7vSb7zWoB8

Things then get even more excruciating as he goes on to have a blazing row with his producer after he, in a sulk, refuses to cover the park opening on the show he is hosting and even threatens to walk off:

https://youtu.be/S0c2yStVC3A

Keef Monkey

Wow. The cringe is strong in that one.

JOE SOAP

2 other reps from Collider were invited because they had long established relationships with Shizney, which he didn't, and in the end he said he couldn't go anyway.

Hawkmumbler

RLM are going to have a field day with this...

sheridan

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: sheridan on 06 June, 2019, 11:40:58 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 06 June, 2019, 10:41:57 AM
RLM are going to have a field day with this...

RLM?
Red Letter Media, a comedy channel. They have a parody show of Collider call the Nerd Show.

TordelBack

Brother that is one slow-motion implosion!  Personally I'm toying with the idea of selling a kidney/child/Jaina Solo 3 3/4" Figure to finance a trip to Galaxy's Edge. It looks fantastic.   

TordelBack

Good stuff, that.  The lads are generally better - and funnier - when they aren't trying to be full-on hilarious.  One of their main guesses is bang-on for my own speculations, their preferred one better not be true or I may have to become one of those internet people. You know the ones.  And I wouldn't rule it our, since the end of Rebels sowed seeds for that direction.

Their idea about [spoiler]Luke the White[/spoiler] is the most plausible, since the Annotated Screenplays detail exactly that as the original ending for Return of the Jedi with [spoiler]Ghost Obi-Wan[/spoiler] in the Luke role, so they can blame George/take credit for fulfilling his concept and tying up the "Strike me down, and I will become more powerful..." loose-end-if-you-take-it-literally-rather-than-metaphorically.

Hawkmumbler

Just. Let Reys. Parents. Be nobodies.

I hate it when extended universe stuff ties itself in knots to make everyone important somehow.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 July, 2019, 06:23:51 PM
... their preferred (speculation) better not be true

Oh come on, Rey sneaking around the original Death Star with a trilby and walkie-talkie, shutting down the power to the Big Laser while Young Han distracts the stormtroopers by playing Johnny B Goode would be great.

Somewhere in this or the other most recent STWars thread, someone* remarks that the obvious hack sci-fi cliche the Skywalkerverse hasn't done so far is [spoiler]time travel[/spoiler] and I broadly agree with Rich's assertion that there's no way for Disney to take the story forward**

In the Youtube comments, which nobody should ever read unless they have an ironic appreciation of racism, one whip suggests Rey [spoiler]decides to stay in the past, changes her name, and gives (virgin) birth to Anakin Skywalker. Although it would make more (and also less) sense if she scratched that bad boy itch and Ben Solo is his own Great Grandpa[/spoiler]***

* Probably yourself or Soapy Joe, let's face it.

** As a big mainstream proposition, which is why they paid $4 billion for this pig's ear. Obviously, the good people of this board would be delighted if Disney continued to splurge hundreds of millions on films where Oscar Isaac and Finn are mismatched space pirate buddies who have to smuggle 400 cases of blue milk from Coruscant to Jakku in 28 hours for Big Jabba Jr and Little Jabba Jr, while pursued by Captain Buford T Phasma and her bumbling son, but maybe not the much larger section of the paying audience who think Ewoks are baby Wookiees.

*** The Twilight Zone, Tharg's Future Shocks, and every sci-fi short story writer ever could sue Disney for combining and ripping off their [spoiler]WHAT IF YOU WENT BACK IN TIME AND SHAGGED YOUR GRANNY/KILLED HITLER plots. It'd be very Disney 2019 to put an abortion dilemma at the heart of a big pop movie[/spoiler]

TordelBack

If you think Disney SW hasn't covered [spoiler]time travel[/spoiler] yet, you've missed the last chunk of canonical Rebels. Kylo Ren prototype Jacen Solo also [spoiler]time-travelled[/spoiler] in the EU  (now Legends) books.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 July, 2019, 07:26:40 PM
Quote from: Frank on 15 July, 2019, 07:15:12 PM
... there's no way for Disney to take the story forward (as) a big mainstream proposition, which is why they paid $4 billion for this pig's ear. Obviously, the good people of this board would be delighted if Disney continued to splurge hundreds of millions on films where Oscar Isaac and Finn are mismatched space pirate buddies who have to smuggle 400 cases of blue milk from Coruscant to Jakku in 28 hours for Big Jabba Jr and Little Jabba Jr, while pursued by Captain Buford T Phasma and her bumbling son, but maybe not the much larger section of the paying audience who think Ewoks are baby Wookiees.

If you think Disney SW hasn't covered [spoiler]time travel[/spoiler] yet, you've missed the last chunk of canonical Rebels. Kylo Ren prototype Jacen Solo also [spoiler]time-travelled[/spoiler] in the EU  (now Legends) books.

See!

Tiplodocus

I wish these youtubers had decent editors. I tend to shy away from anything over the twenty minute mark. The amount of videos where you think "Why would I spend 60 minutes listening to a critique of a film that's only 100 minutes long?" is staggering.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!