Main Menu

Judge Dredd retires? Dies of old age?

Started by judgeurko, 06 September, 2015, 01:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgeurko

OK another obvious newbie question but realistically (if that is not a silly thing to say) how long can Dredd continue to patrol the streets of Mega City 1 & how do you think John Wagner will address this. Dredd must be in his 70s now?

Steve Green

John's said a few things - he's talked about 70 being the new 50 in the future.

He's also said that by the time it needs to be addressed he'd be retired.

At the Dredd panel yesterday, he did talk about switching Dredds with a younger clone taking over and it being a challenge, but Dredd wouldn't be killed off as Rebellion wouldn't allow it.

I don't know if there's any option that would satisfy everyone.

I'd quite like a bumper prog with various Dredd writers and artists doing a 'Death of Judge Dredd' just for fun.

Richard

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Steve Green on 06 September, 2015, 02:08:06 PM
I'd quite like a bumper prog with various Dredd writers and artists doing a 'Death of Judge Dredd' just for fun.

Yeah a what if style special like that would be immense fun.

Hawkmumbler

I'll third that, sounds like it could easily spin into continuity should John find one tha clicks with him.

Fungus

Superb idea. Emphatically not canon but exploring the possibilities.

The Adventurer

"Whatever Happened to The Law?"

I'd buy that for a dollar.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Proudhuff

I'm with the shot in the back by a minor perp in some nameless skedway ( well they could came it The Proud Footway and I'd die happy) :D
DDT did a job on me

Hap Hazzard

At the Dredd panel yesterday, he did talk about switching Dredds with a younger clone taking over and it being a challenge, but Dredd wouldn't be killed off as Rebellion wouldn't allow it.

Brain transplants are a thing in the Mega City. A couple more disasters and there won't be enough Judges left to hold the city. A Justice Dept policy of forcing older experienced Judges to take new cloned younger bodies so they can continue to provide service to the city would be an interesting path to go down. Or, the use of seized stookie being authorised by Justice Dept. Basically, older Judges forced to carry on whether they wanted to or not...especially with Dredd's own misgivings about the system as it is. Plenty of scope there for drama.
That's just, like, uh, your opinion, man.

judgeurko

Quote from: Hap Hazzard on 07 September, 2015, 11:39:12 PM

Brain transplants are a thing in the Mega City. A couple more disasters and there won't be enough Judges left to hold the city. A Justice Dept policy of forcing older experienced Judges to take new cloned younger bodies so they can continue to provide service to the city would be an interesting path to go down. Or, the use of seized stookie being authorised by Justice Dept. Basically, older Judges forced to carry on whether they wanted to or not...especially with Dredd's own misgivings about the system as it is. Plenty of scope there for drama.
Yes. Imagine him finding himself in a younger body, forced to continue being a Judge & how he deals with that. Going on more & more dangerous assignments etc

Professor Bear

Judges don't wank, so my money's on his balls exploding.  Statistically, this is as likely as any other death scenario happening in the prog.

WhizzBang

It has long been established that there are many ways to extend lifetimes in Dredd's world (stookie, body transplants, re-juve, bio-chipping, artificial body parts) but the legality and cost varies. Dredd has been through at least two re-juve treatments that I can think of, so the 70 year thing doesn't bother me.

I have sometimes though that original Taggart tv show could be a good model for an ellderly Dredd. Taggart was a grumpy old Scottish cop who let the younger detectives do the running but directed the tactics and stamped his authority on things.

Richard

QuoteJudges don't wank

They don't have sex (at least they're not allowed to), but I must have missed the story where it was established that they can't even wank. What happened in that one? Did Chief Judge Volt call Roffman into his office and say "Now, young man, it has some to my attention that..."

Professor Bear

Greg M.

I bet Judge Dredd had one off the wrist in the shuttle back from Luna-1, before being sworn back in as a judge of MC-1.

Oh, and several in the bath.