Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Patlabor specifically the 'Early Days' OVAs, 8 episodes of pure dystopian police procedural mecha joy. Patlabor (along with the far more cynical Votoms) are something of the ginger step childs of the mecha genre, over shadowed by the vast franchises of Gundam and Macross, and the one shot wonders like Escaflowne and Evangelion, yet are quiet lucrative and fan favourite serials in there own rights. Following the daily police work of Tokyos metropolitan force in the not too distant future 'cough'2002'cough' as the Labor pilots unravel as conspiracy of corporate corruption, terrorism and political espionage. Highly recommended for fans of Hondo City Justice or just Mecha head alike.

Tiplodocus

!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Mam! Mam!  Hawkmumbler's making up words again!

Hawkmumbler

I talk about giant robots once every 6 months and Tordels loses his mind!

'Has Getter Robo Armageddon lined up soon, ya'll better be afraid'

GrudgeJohnDeed

I remember the Patlabor trailers at the beginning of any anime VHS that put out by Manga, I thought those trailers were pretty darn cool. I never got round to watching any though, I might track some down!

Hawkmumbler

Oohhh yeah, those where the Mamoru Oshi movies, a different continuity to the OVAs and TV Series. Cracking stuff though, both of them!

GrudgeJohnDeed

Did you buy it on disc? I've been wondering if Crunchyroll is worth a look, I think its like a Netflix for Anime.

Hawkmumbler

You can pick the Early Days OVAs up on DVD and Bluray, and the TV series on DVD. The movies have a few editions on DVD but all are OOP.

Keef Monkey

I've got a double DVD set of two Patlabor movies that I've actually been hankering to revisit sometime soon. I found them a little hard to follow in places (maybe they assume a bit of knowledge about the series, or I just didn't concentrate hard enough!) but I remember them being very cool. There's something about an enormous robot who also has an enormous to-scale Magnum in his hand that fires bullets the size of buses that's impossible not to love.

Hawkmumbler

Network recently (OK about 18 months ago, thats how long my too watch pile is) had a sale on, and I nabbed both boxsets covering all three seasons of Robin of Sherwood and so far, it's a bloody good romp. Props have to be given to try and expand the mythos into mystical territories and the relatively high production values must have made it quiet the treat at the time. Good stuff so far as I close out Season 1.

Mardroid

I've been working my way through Fear the Walking Dead on Amazon Prime at the moment. I'm well into series 3 now, and most of it has been pretty good. I'm way behind in The Walking Dead, so can only compare to the first three or four series, but, while I like it, I think I might prefer this.

Tiplodocus

I've certainly had more consistent fun with Fear (Seasons 2 and 3) than most things in the later seasons of the main show. That still has cracking episodes but they are few and far between.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 13 August, 2018, 08:28:42 PM
Network recently (OK about 18 months ago, thats how long my too watch pile is) had a sale on, and I nabbed both boxsets covering all three seasons of Robin of Sherwood and so far, it's a bloody good romp. Props have to be given to try and expand the mythos into mystical territories and the relatively high production values must have made it quiet the treat at the time. Good stuff so far as I close out Season 1.

Man, that's one of those shows that immediately takes me back to doing my homework in front of the telly on a Saturday evening. It should have ended after season 2 when Michael Praed left - he is replaced by James Bond Jr in season 3 but it never quite reaches the heights of those first 2 seasons.

TordelBack

Inclined to disagree there, DDD. While Connery himself is much (even?) weaker than Praed as the lead, the later episodes are really strong, and the concept of the Hooded Man as a role, not an individual, is too good to dismiss.

Hawkie, if you haven't already you must listen to the commentary tracks, especially Season 1. They're up there with the Conan the Barbarian commentaries for sheer entertainment, and the sensation of sitting in a pub snug with the crew is palpable. You'll never look at golf courses the same way again.

Link Prime

Always meant to pick up this series on Blu-ray, but never seen it going cheap enough.
Still though, seems there's a forthcoming re-release in October.
Yours to pre-order for only 8 million nicker on Zavvi;

https://m.zavvi.com/blu-ray/robin-of-sherwood-the-complete-series/11849580.html