Main Menu

Prog 2121 - One Man's Stand

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 02 March, 2019, 12:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Cover by the six million dollar (and correctly attributed) Steve Austin, colours by Chris Blythe.

First Saturday prog to arrive in a potato starch wrapper? Well done to Tharg and the droids.

Richard

Judge Dredd continues to escalate. It finishes next week: hard to see how this can conclude in just six pages, but it's a fast-paced story.

That's a great cover.

glassstanley

Mine is about a cm shorter than usual. Is this the same for everyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dweezil2

Quote from: glassstanley on 02 March, 2019, 04:05:18 PM

Ooooh, err! :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Anthony Garnon

Mine too.

Colin YNWA

What was the name of the Tellytubby with the telly in his tummy?

Anyway good Prog. Dredd isn't as mindmeltingly good as it has been of late as it need to serve the story and push things forward and thus isn't as focused on those wonderful character moments that have really made this story exceptional. That said it does this very well so its still great.

Skipster is fine... though I do need to reread as I couldn't remember who threatening chappie was!

3riller - Tooth and Nail is annoying, bloody annoying. I love the way its telling its story... it just the story doesn't as yet seem worth telling... be interesting to see how this wraps up and whether it becomes something.

Grey Area - see Dredd really. Nice powerful ending but lacked a little of the character.

Jaegir - pretty edge of the seat stuff held the tension in the situation well and loved the ending. Looking forward to seeing how this one leaves us hangin'

So yeah a little more solid as opposed to the great of late but enjoyable all the same.

The Amstor Computer

Same. Looks like around ~3/4cm off the top of the prog and ~1/4cm off the bottom - you can see that the space that should be around the top of the logo is far less than it should be, and some of the "next prog" text is much nearer to the page edge than normal. Luckily it doesn't seem to have affected any of the strips (I'd imagine editorial, artists and letterers always leave a decent "safe" margin anyway) but it looks like the printers botched the trim on at least some of the run.

Colin YNWA

By george your right. I didn't notice at first but when pointed out its obvious and you do notice the impact inside.

Leigh S

Same here - I'm assuming a printing mistake rather than deliberate, if only because the logo and side bar with prog info havent budged to accomodate the missing mms.  That said, it doesnt cut off anyting vital - the only real obvious sign in mine is the Dredd next prog line which is slightly off the page

Tjm86

TBH, I seriously thought that it had shrunk in the post but it does not stack up well compared to other progs of late.

That said, perhaps this week's Droid Life / Skip 'tracer' could explain the difference?  Salt, pepper, prog's a lot shorter ...

A.Cow

Quote from: Richard on 02 March, 2019, 01:32:06 PM
hard to see how this can conclude in just six pages, but it's a fast-paced story.

The ending is looking slightly predictable* now, but this has been a sublime masterclass in storytelling from the Wagner droid.  Simply amazing.

* My bet is that [spoiler]Harvey will be killed defending citizens & judges from the bomber.  Of course, this will turn out to have been carefully orchestrated by Logan (using an android bomber): the robot judges are now heroes with the people; Logan's faith in Harvey now gives him moral authority over senior judges; and Harvey can now be replaced by a human without the Chief Judge losing face.  Best of all, it'll probably turn out that it was all Harvey's idea, giving Dredd (temporary) pause to reconsider his opinions.[/spoiler]

Geoff

A Cow - you should be a script droid! If it's not that, I'd be interested to see if the alternative is any better...

73north

" Mine is about a cm shorter than usual. Is this the same for everyone? "

same here !

I liked the Prog , the highlights were Dredd , and above all , Jaegir , which was
really wonderfully set up for the finale , next week

I hope the next instalment of Jaegir is not too long ( if tharg reads this - please can you commission
more of Jaegir , which is a majot factor in me subscribing to the Prog since 2012 ... :)
and above all , a new epidode of Johnny Alpha please > ? >

Leigh S

This is pretty much what I thought, but still clever stuff from Wagner (and knowing Wagner, there's a good chane he will still throw in some other curveball you couldn't have predicted!

Quote from: A.Cow on 03 March, 2019, 01:59:26 PM
Quote from: Richard on 02 March, 2019, 01:32:06 PM
hard to see how this can conclude in just six pages, but it's a fast-paced story.

The ending is looking slightly predictable* now, but this has been a sublime masterclass in storytelling from the Wagner droid.  Simply amazing.

* My bet is that [spoiler]Harvey will be killed defending citizens & judges from the bomber.  Of course, this will turn out to have been carefully orchestrated by Logan (using an android bomber): the robot judges are now heroes with the people; Logan's faith in Harvey now gives him moral authority over senior judges; and Harvey can now be replaced by a human without the Chief Judge losing face.  Best of all, it'll probably turn out that it was all Harvey's idea, giving Dredd (temporary) pause to reconsider his opinions.[/spoiler]

Richard

That's an ingenious theory Mr Cow!