Main Menu

worst characters

Started by dodsworthboy, 21 November, 2001, 12:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodsworthboy

Theres been talk of who is the best character how about who is the worst my vote is for meltdown man. Good artwork from belerdnelli is he alive still or what.

Wood

GordonR

Who's Tanner?  Was he the main character in the Night Zero stories?

Jim_Campbell

>Who's Tanner? Was he the main character in
> the Night Zero stories?

Yeah, that was him, although I'd put any character from any of Michael Fleischer's efforts above him in the Shite Rankings.

Along with Soul Gun Whatever and the entire cast of Wireheads.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

W. R. Logan

>Theres been talk of who is the best character how about who is the worst my vote is for meltdown man. Good artwork from belerdnelli is he alive still or what.

I enjoyed Meltdown Man, not as enjoyable a read when I dig them out now but at the time I thought it was great.
There has been a on-going thread on the 2000AD message board for ages about Belardinelli, is he dead or alive, generat consensus seems to think he passed away.

>Who[backslash]'s Tanner?  Was he the main character in the Night Zero stories?

Yup.

Worst story, well hard to pick one but off the top of my head my short list:

Dry Run, Later Rogue Trooper stories, Bug Dave, Bradley, Brigand Doom, Dinosty, Firekind, Harlem Heroes (new), Kelly's Eye, Kid Cyborg, Moonrunners, Robo-Hunter (post Wagner & Grant), Soul Gun Warrior, Later Slaine Stories, Tyranny Rex, Urban Strike.

But the worst story ever that I wish would be put in file 13:

Sinister/Dexter!

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theclassof79" target="_blank">The Class Of '79

GordonR

>Along with Soul Gun Whatever and the entire cast of Wireheads.

Missed those.  They were during my wilderness years (aka 'The Mackenzie Years' when I and thousands of others like me unfortunately just stopped reading the thing.

Leigh S

Worst characters - the real life double act of Morrison and Millar were worse than their stories (although with the exception of Zenith they are all utter crap). The ridiculous posturing we had to put up with from them when they had their little war with Mills and Wagner in the comics press...Grrrr!

From the actual pages of 2000AD I would say Maniac 5 and Babe Race 2000 cast, and all Fleischers characters (Junker, HH2).  

death monkey 23

It's true, man.  I don't know all the names you listed there, but Sinister Dexter is crap.  The worrying thing is that in 20 years time, some kind of pseudo-scrotnig arsehole will be appearing on I Love 2002, saying, yes indeed, Sinister/Dexter was CULTURALLY IMPORTANTSORTOF LIKE THE -

BUDWEISER ADVERTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I sort of liked the recent one about the smoking dudes.  I thought the smoking ghetto part of it was witty.  But the Cuban Cigar thing was stupid and ruined it.

Wood

...namely the fact that all my favourite stories are the one most other people hated!

What do we have in Mr Logan's list: "Dry Run, Later Rogue Trooper stories, Big Dave, Bradley, Brigand Doom, Dinosty, Firekind, Harlem Heroes (new), Kelly's Eye, Kid Cyborg, Moonrunners, Robo-Hunter (post Wagner & Grant), Soul Gun Warrior, Later Slaine Stories, Tyranny Rex, Urban Strike."

Now, let me see. FWIW, I agree with you about Mike Fleisher stuff (and any Rogue Trooper story featuring Friday except the Gibbons/Simpson first one), but out of the rest of your list, Bradley, Big Dave, Firekind and Tyranny Rex are all counted among my favourites - I could also list Revere, Indigo Prime, Sooner or Later, Hewligan's Haircut, Zippy Couriers and Slaughterbowl as among my favourites in the sure knowledge that the vast majority of 2000AD fans will disagree.

But then, I really liked Deadline, too, so what do I know? :p I mean, hell, I even liked Judge Janus...

Anyway, 2000AD is an anthology, and nobody's going to like everything. A lot of people aren't going to like the offbeat stuff (or even the straightforward stuff if it isn't done well). I mean, I remember reading somewhere that Halo Jones wasn't very popular when it was first run.

There's a wide enough range of thrills for people to be able to disagree.

On the other hand, there's stuff that's just DULL, and it's our duty to name it and shame it.
Err, carry on...

Link: john heron project

W. R. Logan

At 15:23 20/11/01 -0600, you wrote:
>It[backslash]'s true, man.  I don[backslash]'t know all the names you listed there, but Sinister Dexter is crap.  

Now I start worrying, both me and Death Monkey 23 think Sinister/Dexter are crap, next thing you'll know the Americans and Talliban will be kissing and making up 8-)

L:a Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theclassof79" target="_blank">The Class Of '79

Matt

Here's my nominations for the very worst: Dry Run, Kola Commandos, the Nemesis book that followed the Two Torquemada's, the one set in Thatchers London. I still haven't got a facking clue what that was all about. Judge Janus, Green, Space Girls, Chronos Carnival, The Henry Moon solo series, I mean how interesting can a story about a talking panther be? All of the Friday Rogue Trooper stories ( apart from War Machine), any Strontium Dog storie after they killed Johnny Alpha, that story that was a bit like Mean Arena but with Dinosaurs instead, Creep (from the Meg) and finally my worst of the worst Killer.

MATT back on the board...

O Lucky Stevie!

let's not forget Outla...bwooorp!!!

excuse me,

steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

nemesis

Durham Red can stay dead
i dont think killers too bad but i think he should die as well yeah kill em all i say!

nemesis

Oh yeah destroy that dodgy tor cyan character too i fail to see the point of his existence.

nemesis