Main Menu

Judge Minty (Judge Dredd fan film)

Started by Steven Sterlacchini, 17 February, 2009, 10:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strontium71

That's a real shame , as surely the creators deserve something for all their efforts? I wouldn't mind in the slightest paying for a nicely bound dvd even it it wouldn't be feature length.
...because I hate you.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Yeah, I'd part with cash to see this Dredd fest! But I think Tharg would object and you know what he's like.. ;)
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

malkymac

Quote from: strontium71 on 13 July, 2010, 07:15:11 PM
That's a real shame , as surely the creators deserve something for all their efforts? I wouldn't mind in the slightest paying for a nicely bound dvd even it it wouldn't be feature length.

This crossed my mind as well when looking at the blog. It must cost a pile of money to make something like this so how is it funded and what is the reward for all the hard work and investment (of time, effort and not least cash).

How do you even begin going about financing something like this? Sorry if this sounds overly concerned with mercenary matters but I am curious.

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: malkymac on 13 July, 2010, 11:25:21 PM
Quote from: strontium71 on 13 July, 2010, 07:15:11 PM

This crossed my mind as well when looking at the blog. It must cost a pile of money to make something like this so how is it funded and what is the reward for all the hard work and investment (of time, effort and not least cash).

How do you even begin going about financing something like this? Sorry if this sounds overly concerned with mercenary matters but I am curious.

You need to read all the posts in the blog and then you will see where the money came from. Lets just say, dedication  ;)

As to their reward, this will be a showreel encompassing their combined talents. What better way to break into the big time, than to have the complete article to show people.

Steve Green

It's more time than money.

On my side, I already had camera stuff anyway, software, computers etc. Although I have spent money on things I wouldn't have otherwise.

The expense tends to come from location hire, studio hire, accomodation etc. for location hire.

I'm not really fussed about making anything from it, it's just an excuse for me to do something I wouldn't normally get to do.

I can't speak for the others, but there's an element of it being a showcase of their work, e.g. Dan's costume work could lead to non-Dredd work off the back of people seeing it.

So although there is a potential monetary gain of sorts, it's not a massive return on the time invested (which is the biggy), it's more the enjoyment...

Although lugging shitloads of costumes, equipment etc. across London on the hottest day of the year takes the edge off.

Not to mention the jumping through hoops to get locations sorted...

So, anyway it's all been financed between us - we've not got any commercial sponsors, although it has been talked about. But it's a tricky area since it is a fan film and investors would only get their name bandied about rather than something more tangible.

The upside of doing it ourselves is we can do as we please really... but it does cost.

Noisybast

Would it be worth having a word with Tharg about the possibility of sticking a DVD in the bag with the Meg or something? You might not get paid, but you'd at least get an audience.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Bolt-01

Surely you could make a token charge to go towards the cost of manufacture? I know that Zarjaz & Dogbreath are allowed to make enough to pay for themselves, just not a profit.

I know I'd be happy to pay for the DVD, and more thna that- I'd be happy to have it on the table at con's as well.

James Stacey

I'm sure if you speak to Rebellion they will be very accommodating. Providing their IP isn't threatened in any legal way, I'm sure they can't wait to see the film too.

Steve Green

It's up to Steve S really.

Since it would likely end up online, anyone who really wanted to could rip it to a DVD if they really wanted to. I think having it online is better for getting exposure outside of just the physical bundling with the magazine.

In a dream situation it would be a DVD extra on the new Dredd Film.

We may have another chat with Rebellion now we've got some footage under our belt - they were fairly non-committal at the beginning even on the 'is it OK if we do this'...

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 14 July, 2010, 02:05:30 PM
I know I'd be happy to pay for the DVD, and more than that- I'd be happy to have it on the table at con's as well.

I could sign them Bolt-01  ;)

CraveNoir

Distribution outside of festival showings is problematic IMHO, as it'd conflict with DNA Films' sole legal right to adapt the Dreddverse to film, and probably the distributor's rights too.

Although they've sold the rights (I'm assuming!) to make a Dreddverse film the Kingsleys are Producers and may still have a say in whether a not-for-profit fan film is able to be distributed, but it's probably not worth the effort or potential problems.

They could always turn a blind eye, as could any affected party, if they feel it won't actually cause them financial or legal problems.

Also, if someone with the rights wanted to bring the work into the fold (e.g. include it as a DVD extra on the official Dredd film, or use it for some kind of publicity) then that makes things a lot easier, and legally tidy.

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 July, 2010, 02:21:46 PM
In a dream situation it would be a DVD extra on the new Dredd Film.

I was going to make a comment along these lines but as I know nothing about the legalities of such things I didn't want to look a prat.  Be really good if this could be made to happen.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 12 July, 2010, 01:03:12 PM
Here are a few more pics from the weekends shoot.

Judge Domino waiting for her call.

PHWOAR! I would...  ;)

Great day! Haven't had so much fun in ages. And yes, I can't wait til it's done. Steve, Steve and Daniel really have surpassed all previous efforts in regard to thrillpower- and I strongly suggest Thargypoos delivers them Krill Tro Thargos sharpish!

Splundigs!

SBT

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 14 July, 2010, 06:45:10 PM
PHWOAR! I would...  ;)

Great day! Haven't had so much fun in ages. And yes, I can't wait til it's done. Steve, Steve and Daniel really have surpassed all previous efforts in regard to thrillpower- and I strongly suggest Thargypoos delivers them Krill Tro Thargos sharpish!

Splundigs!

SBT

I thought I saw you in some of the photos. Nice to hear from you again. You staying for a bit?

judge macbrayne

cant wait cant wait suppose ill have :lol: