Main Menu

Judge Minty (Judge Dredd fan film)

Started by Steven Sterlacchini, 17 February, 2009, 10:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Sterlacchini

:D I didn't take it as a criticism. It's an interesting discussion point and one we also had when making the film. Debating the pros and cons of the different Lawgiver style is one of the joys of being on this forum  :)

Bat King

Why no blocky black outlines? Carlos's artwork not good enough for you?

Call it faithful to the comic... I feel robbed!
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Stu101

Just started reading the comments on this thread, then noted the time so figured I'd just leave my comments and get to bed.

I (like so many others) thought this to be extremely good!

Having not seen any other fan films I have nothing to compare it to, I loved the effects and the depiction of MC1 was great. As was the acting.

Would love to see a breakdown of the work involved, you guys sure put alot of love into this.

Thankyou.

Steve Green

There's talk of something happening around October, and I'm sure I'll do some before and after shots for the effects side.

There's a lot of stuff which are not really showy things - just fixes, like the writing on the sign at the end is CGI because it got overlooked and it also meant we could tweak the look in post if we wanted to.

Another one was covering up a bit of velcro on the costume by tracking in a clean bit of leather.

I was sick of doing dust particles in the air by the end of it though ;)

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Steve Green on 07 May, 2013, 09:43:45 AM

I was sick of doing dust particles in the air by the end of it though ;)

But what great dust particles they were!  I noticed them, particularly in the lead up to the rad storm.  They really added to the overall ambience of the scene.  I get it must have been dull as hell, but the effort sure paid off!

Gavin_Leahy_Block

That was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. A massive well done to everyone involved and a thank you for putting it up.

Recrewt

Fantastic film folks.

Absolutely loved the bit where Minty gives the old man speech - straight out the prog and made me smile all day!

Steve Green

Thanks guys,

More than anything else I'd love Edmund to get work off the back of this.

I could quite picture him in Game of Thrones.

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: Steve Green on 07 May, 2013, 12:42:34 PM
Thanks guys,

More than anything else I'd love Edmund to get work off the back of this.

I could quite picture him in Game of Thrones.

Agreed.

Edmund was friendly, professional and creative at all times. I think working with him made us up our game.

radiator

Excellent work - well done to all involved!

A very accomplished piece of work, and Edmund was great - usually these kind of projects are let down by the acting and voicework but he's brilliant.

33,000 Youtube views, last time I checked!

Colin YNWA

Steve and Steve and the rest have been as gracious as ever they are, about Edmund and the forum people who helped make this possible, but they always seem to miss one thing out. They too were blooming lovely to 'work' with. Now I only worked on one day, so its very possible people who worked with them more will reveal they were actually a bunch of rat-bag prima donnas, but in my experience they were always considerate, open to ideas and patient beyond words.

Oh and they allowed a bunch of fan boys to run around with all their cool stuff and dress up and play with guns and stuff, while no being precious about it, at all. Just really nice people, working incredibly hard to make something great.

The story that sums it up for me was when they asked who'd like to wear the Judge's costume, after Edmund had left to do the being shot bits. Now, as you might expect, there was a bunch of slavering fanboys barely containing themselves with glee at the prospect, barely holding back having a scrap for the honour. Their concern, that whomever it was might hurt their arse falling onto concrete. I've have never seen a bunch of men less concerned about falling on their arse onto a bit of concrete in my life. The crew being the bloody nice people they are though, that was the only thing on their minds.

Albion

Well said Colin_YNWA, and rat-bag prima donnas they were most definatley not.
I enjoyed every minute of my involvement with Minty and everyone was excellent and a pleasure to be with. Great to see everyone is enjoying it now it is on YouTube.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

redbaz

Hi all, thanks to Steve S, the collected storyboards are now available to view in full online at the link below. They include original sequences and some redrafts of a few scenes with additional notes from either myself or Steve. I would like to apologise in advance for the roughness in many of these pages, especially towards the end. If anything it shows just how much gorgeous detail Steve G originated in every single frame of the film.

Needless to say these contain EVERY SPOILER IMAGINABLE for the film. Also, get a brew and a couple biscuits, its 200 pages long.

Cheers

baz

http://issuu.com/redbaz/docs/judgemintystoryboards

redbaz

Marlowe

Absolutely gobsmacked by the film, particularly the amazing production values and ingenious reiminagtion and extrapolation of the original strip. [spoiler]A cynical subversion of the original strip and the cursed earth saga.[/spoiler] Enjoyed the film so much I recc'd it to all my friends. Several times.