Main Menu

2000ad suspected IP infringement thread

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 06 August, 2010, 12:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Alski on 11 January, 2011, 02:27:35 PM
Hmmm... I don't know - as long as it's not a direct copy of another artist's specific work, is it legal?

Looks like a stroke-for-stroke repainting of a Kev Walker panel, to me. Plus, he's offering to reproduce the same work, to order, for a profit. I'm pretty sure that's a copyright infringement.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

uncle fester

If someone can re-produce pieces to that standard, what are they doing selling knock-offs of other peoples work? Why not just go work for games workshop or something doing your own stuff?

Or have I missed something?

davethomson

Quote from: uncle fester on 11 January, 2011, 02:43:13 PM
If someone can re-produce pieces to that standard, what are they doing selling knock-offs of other peoples work? Why not just go work for games workshop or something doing your own stuff?

Or have I missed something?

That is what makes me suspicious that it is not even an oil painting, just a printed canvas. The are plenty of folk on ebay who print copyrighted photos and designs onto canvas, mount it and flog it cheapo. Wouldn't surprise me if this was just the same but aimed at comics fans.
Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

radiator

Looks a bit like one of the BT phone card designs that Kev Walker did around the time of the 1995 movie.

A quick check confirms that yes, it's a rip off:

Emperor

Not sure if this counts here or if it should be in its own thread titled "more stuff for CF to buy":

www.redbubble.com/people/yayzus/t-shirts/6516992-1-judge-dredd-kitty

Still... Judge Kitty, great idea.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

COMMANDO FORCES

It would be much better if it was called Judge Pussy  :thumbsup:

vzzbux

Quote from: Emperor on 20 February, 2011, 10:01:28 PM
Not sure if this counts here or if it should be in its own thread titled "more stuff for CF to buy":

www.redbubble.com/people/yayzus/t-shirts/6516992-1-judge-dredd-kitty

I would say that breeches two franchises.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Hoagy

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Emperor on 20 February, 2011, 10:01:28 PM

Yeah saw this this morning and while I accept its a clear copy right infringement (assuming it doesn't have permission) it will service my mission to get my baby daughter into the delights of comics. She already says 'Judredd' when she passes my Carl Critchlow picture on the landing (I'm still working on Missionary Man)

Hoagy

Quote from: Krombasher on 24 February, 2011, 06:00:19 PM
ffeee

Ignore this its a failed post. Sorry.

I meant to comment on the egg-cup designs. Remember the art comp for easter? When we did boiled egg versions of tooth characters?

My one was a Mean Machine one. I tried to get a pic off  of facebook but their new system doesn't allow.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

SmallBlueThing

Weird one this: i was in a shop in town today, and the assistant noticed my dredd lapel badge, and asked if it was from a film or a game or something. I told her it was a comic, and she said, "oh, because i used to get paid by judge dredd productions when i worked for a games company in Ireland." She went on to explain that, while it wasnt the name of the company, it "was the name on our payslips".
How bizarre.
SBT

vzzbux

AHHH. That would have been a ghost company to get round certain tax incursions.
Our company used to do the same until the government closed that door. It cost us about £150 a month.
Fucking Tony Blair >:(.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Colin YNWA