Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 December, 2017, 04:31:39 PM
Am I the only person who didn't actually like Han Solo?

A simple 'yes' will do, I think.

Wish it had never happened, but still think Han's death scene was fantastic.

radiator

Quote from: DrRocka on 07 December, 2017, 07:57:15 AM
For me, Star Wars films are divided by Those With Han Solo In (fab), and Those Without Han Solo In (much less fab). Looks like they're all gonna be Those Without Han Solo In from now on, so I struggle to muster up enthusiasm. Hopefully this'll be the film that breaks the Han Solo rule....

Well, they have Oscar Isaac, and that dude has Han Solo level charisma imo. Let's hope they actually give him something to do in this one.

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 05 December, 2017, 05:19:06 AM
Is it just me, or is there relatively little hype about this movie, considering that its barely more than a week from release? I'm really not hearing anybody talking about it in the real world, and no one's even posted on this thread for over a month...
Hard to say. It's out next week and I haven't even seen a trailer yet, but that's probably because I haven't been to the cinema for months.

Haven't seen Force Awakens since Boxing Day of whatever year it came out either so will have no clue who anybody is.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

JLC

Quote from: Proudhuff on 09 December, 2017, 10:31:54 AM
waoh! Hans Solo is dead?
Yes he was killed by his son Ben Solo (aka Kylo* Ren)

*Ky from sKYwalker & lo from soLO

The Legendary Shark

Could've been worse - could've been Ersol.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

Quote from: JLC on 10 December, 2017, 04:19:10 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 09 December, 2017, 10:31:54 AM
waoh! Hans Solo is dead?
Yes he was killed by his son Ben Solo (aka Kylo* Ren)

*Ky from sKYwalker & lo from soLO

This is partially why I'm convinced that Rey and Kylo Ren were originally written to be siblings before a late in the day script rewrite* - IIRC original leaks kept mentioning the female lead would be 'Han Solo's daughter' - a character called 'Kyra' or 'Kira' which tellingly also begins with K and is (possibly) a hodgepodge of Skywalker and Leia/Organa.

*and this is why Rey's backstory is such a cop out, and feels like it has been lifted out of the script wholesale - because that's exactly what happened. Having Rey be a Syywalker also goes a long way to explaining many of the giant coincidences you have to swallow otherwise (such as Han and the Falcon being in such close proximity to her).

radiator

Also, early TLJ reactions are out, and are very positive. Always good to take them with a giant grain of salt, as I remember turkeys like Batman V Superman and Star Trek into Darkness getting similarly positive early twitter buzz.

What is very promising is that the early word almost universally seems to indicate that:

1. The story goes in a very unexpected direction (avoid spoilers at all costs).

2. There's a lot of humour.

3. None of the best bits are in any of the trailers.

So, cautiously optimistic.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 10 December, 2017, 09:28:29 PM
This is partially why I'm convinced that Rey and Kylo Ren were originally written to be siblings before a late in the day script rewrite* - IIRC original leaks kept mentioning the female lead would be 'Han Solo's daughter' - a character called 'Kyra' or 'Kira' which tellingly also begins with K and is (possibly) a hodgepodge of Skywalker and Leia/Organa.

*and this is why Rey's backstory is such a cop out, and feels like it has been lifted out of the script wholesale - because that's exactly what happened. Having Rey be a Syywalker also goes a long way to explaining many of the giant coincidences you have to swallow otherwise (such as Han and the Falcon being in such close proximity to her).

Yeah, I think this is very likely the case. 

While it does make things vague in unlikely in TFA, it's not necessarily a bad change in itself: mainly depends on how Rey's revised origins pan out.  As it stood, it was all uncomfortably similar to how things played out in the old Expanded Universe.

radiator

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 December, 2017, 09:36:46 PM
Quote from: radiator on 10 December, 2017, 09:28:29 PM

Yeah, I think this is very likely the case. 

While it does make things vague in unlikely in TFA, it's not necessarily a bad change in itself: mainly depends on how Rey's revised origins pan out.  As it stood, it was all uncomfortably similar to how things played out in the old Expanded Universe.

Yeah, i think that's probably why they changed it. Regardless, I think it would have made for a much better story had they kept it as was - so many problems with the plotting of TFA are imo a knock on effect caused by this pretty drastic change.

Professor Bear

If you sort of squint at the whole thing where they separated Luke and Leia and raised them apart because of Reasons and note JJA's love of recycling, the brother/sister thing could still be on the table, though I gather from comments made by Johnson, JJA didn't actually have any endgame for any of the dangling plot threads in TFA.  Which will shock those of us who watched Lost.

abelardsnazz

Reviews I've seen have been positive, and Rotten Tomatoes is currently showing it as 93% Fresh. Will find out if I agree on Saturday, can't wait.

SIP

27 hours and 45 minutes.........and counting.

Mattofthespurs

5 stars, and touted as the best Star Wars movie, in The Times today.

I'm seeing it at 10 am tomorrow morning.

Dr Feeley Good

I'm trooping tonight with the UKG at Manchester Printworks then a free viewing of the film at 12.00 .