Main Menu

Hive mind, who originally designed the comic book Lawgiver Mark 2?

Started by Steven Sterlacchini, 05 September, 2017, 02:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Sterlacchini

Hi,
I need to add a credit to something for the comic version of the Lawgiver Mark 2.

Does anyone know who originally designed it?

Was it the artist who drew its first appearance? Or was it predesigned by another artist?

I've already checked the WIKI entry and I'll use who they say, unless someone here knows better?

Steven

sheridan

Quote from: Steven Sterlacchini on 05 September, 2017, 02:57:06 PM
Hi,
I need to add a credit to something for the comic version of the Lawgiver Mark 2.

Was it the artist who drew its first appearance? Or was it predesigned by another artist?

I've already checked the WIKI entry and I'll use who they say, unless someone here knows better?

Steven

Which wiki did you look at?  Didn't see any specifics on the wikipedia one.

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: sheridan on 05 September, 2017, 03:16:32 PM
Quote from: Steven Sterlacchini on 05 September, 2017, 02:57:06 PM
Hi,

Steven

Which wiki did you look at?  Didn't see any specifics on the wikipedia one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lawgiver-mkii.jpg

radiator

I believe Jason Brashill and/or Jim Murray designed the MkII, though it's first appearance was in the story Gun Play, illustrated by a different artist. You'll have to track down the prog number the story appears in - it's somewhere in the 1100s.

There was also a poster/cg render thing featuring the new design.

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 06 September, 2017, 04:45:38 PM
I believe Jason Brashill and/or Jim Murray designed the MkII, though it's first appearance was in the story Gun Play, illustrated by a different artist.

Paulo Parente, prog 1122. Although Murray first drew the Lawgiver that way a couple of months earlier, in the Paul Herriman story Dreams Of Glory (1112). *

I've never been sure whether Murray and Brashill redesigned the mkII for Doomsday or if Tharg just liked the way Murray drew the gun and went with that when Wagner's script called for a new variation on the original design.

Dreams Of Glory was Murray's Dredd debut, so there's no BEFORE to compare it to. Brashill was still drawing the gun as a silver piece of plumber's kit in his previous Dredd strip, prog 1077's In The Year 2020, and both artists draw the lawgiver that way until page 30 of Die Laughing book two*, when the black casing, blunt muzzle, and red LED suddenly appear.

This is the kind of trainspotter shit I wish they'd ask creators about in interviews, but I can totally understand why they don't.

* published the same year as Dreams Of Glory.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Frank on 06 September, 2017, 06:12:13 PM
Quote from: radiator on 06 September, 2017, 04:45:38 PM
I believe Jason Brashill and/or Jim Murray designed the MkII, though it's first appearance was in the story Gun Play, illustrated by a different artist.

Paulo Parente, prog 1122. Although Murray first drew the Lawgiver that way a couple of months earlier, in the Paul Herriman story Dreams Of Glory (1112). *

Dreams Of Glory was Murray's Dredd debut, so there's no BEFORE to compare it to. Brashill was still drawing the gun as a silver piece of plumber's kit in his previous Dredd strip, prog 1077's In The Year 2020, and both artists draw the lawgiver that way until page 30 of Die Laughing book two*, when the black casing, blunt muzzle, and red LED suddenly appear.

There's a bit of progression before and between all that from Brashill & Murray

Jason Brashill Prog#1086

Jason Brashill Prog#1104

Jim Murray Prog#1109

Frank

Nice. Presumably they were producing those covers at the same time as they were finishing Die Laughing book two.

Fungus

Those old - Wilderness Years - covers really were terrible. Possibly I stumbled across these issues and felt vindicated at my absence. Which is a shame, since the artists are all decent and the prog itself got its act together right after those 90's...

Steven Sterlacchini

Thank you all!

I think that gives me enough info.

Cheers!
Steven